Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
7xCB, size 7

If this had been tagged as my size, I'd have been all over it.
IMG_20.jpg

IMG_11.jpg

IMG_18.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Tipped from a noted Lounge hat whisperer... feltfanish brim binding, good looking felt and flat brim. I took a gamble without asking for more photos. What do you think? Vintage 5XCB?, or no.

Alan, your a lucky guy. I think thats going to be a beauty! I've always wanted to find one with that brim treatment since seeing feltfans.

B

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I won this vintage brim trimmer yesterday. I can't believe I won it for less than $85 bucks shipped. Finally, my western conversions can be done in half the time. I'm still going to sand the edges though, for a nice smooth finish.

Vintage Antique Hat Brim Trimmer Tool

You beat me by a buck, Josh! :mad: lol
Luckily I had my eye on another one, which I snatched for $40 BIN . Should be here tomorrow!, I'm as thrilled as you are :D

Hat brim trimmer

Scalpel, please...lol

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
You beat me by a buck, Josh! :mad: lol
Luckily I had my eye on another one, which I snatched for $40 BIN . Should be here tomorrow!, I'm as thrilled as you are :D

Hat brim trimmer

$40 bucks!!?? That's a steal! :) Congrats!

Sorry I swiped the trimmer out from under you. I have been looking for so long and was about to spend over $260 for a brand new one. I prefer to have the original hatting tools anyways, and I literally remembered the auction about 5 minutes before it ended. I was lucky that I got my bid in.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Good deal on that one! For all of the antique shops I've been in, I've only found one.

B

Thanks, Bill! I've only found one block and flange at an antique mall, and that was when you and I went the last time I came up to Milwaukee. It seems that hatters tools are getting harder and harder to find in antique malls. I always see tons of cobbler equipment and old industrial stuff, but never hatter tools.

I'm still on the hunt for a flange stand though....

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Today I won this gorgeous turn of the century boater. I usually never pay a ton for boaters, especially one that's just going into my collection, but this one just caught my eye right from the start. The weave looks very interesting and fine, and with the shinny finish, makes me think its a Baku straw. I could be wrong though. It has the early size label and while its 5 sizes too big, the fact that its a 7 5/8 makes it even more rare. I have looked though a bunch of vintage ads like many here on the lounge, and in the early part of the 20th century, many hats were sold in sizes from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. 7 5/8 would have been a pretty big melon about 90 or so years ago.

Vintage Men's Boater or Skimmer Hat - Very Tight Weave w/ Design, Sz 7 5/8

TipTop

Practically Family
Today I won this gorgeous turn of the century boater. I usually never pay a ton for boaters, especially one that's just going into my collection, but this one just caught my eye right from the start. The weave looks very interesting and fine, and with the shinny finish, makes me think its a Baku straw. I could be wrong though. It has the early size label and while its 5 sizes too big, the fact that its a 7 5/8 makes it even more rare. I have looked though a bunch of vintage ads like many here on the lounge, and in the early part of the 20th century, many hats were sold in sizes from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. 7 5/8 would have been a pretty big melon about 90 or so years ago.

Vintage Men's Boater or Skimmer Hat - Very Tight Weave w/ Design, Sz 7 5/8

Elegant weaving pattern; buy a wig and enjoy it!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Interesting purchases, guys-- can't wait to see more photos of them!
Josh-- what a cool weave pattern in that crown. I'm not a big straw connoisseur yet, but I've heard the pattern in the crown can suggest regional origins. Any truth in that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic