Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just won this Stetson Fray via buy-it-now from Canada.

Stetson Fray

I have never seen an early Stetson eagle logo with USA stamped in the center. I would imagine this meant that it was a hat made in Canada for the Canadian market. Because the hat is so early, I would imagine it was actually made by "Stetson of Canada" verses by Biltmore who was contracted out later on to make Stetsons in Canada.

rlk

I'll Lock Up

Stetson Fray

I have never seen an early Stetson eagle logo with USA stamped in the center. I would imagine this meant that it was a hat made in Canada for the Canadian market. Because the hat is so early, I would imagine it was actually made by "Stetson of Canada" verses by Biltmore who was contracted out later on to make Stetsons in Canada.

Looks interesting. Brock was Stetson's Canadian Manufacturer I believe.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nice score, Josh.

And a 7 3/8 no less!

(I've never had a problem buying from those with only 1 or 2 feedback scores. Gotta start somewhere.)

Thanks, Randall! Its a shame its not my size, but I just had to have this historic example for my collection. I did notice that the seller only had a feedback score of 1, but it didn't bother me too much. Your right, everybody has to start somewhere.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Looks interesting. Brock was Stetson's Canadian Manufacturer I believe.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction, Robert! I just assumed that because Biltmore was Canada's leading hat maker for so many years, that Stetson would have contracted them out. Mainly for the use of their large manufacturing facilities.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up

Stetson Fray

very interesting, very

Mystic

Practically Family
A question about eBay photos vs FL photos. This probably should have gone in the 'ask a question' thread. But, I am hoping for imput from Loungers that regularly post photos here and also on eBay.

I have noticed a fairly large number of eBay hat photos that are dark, washed out or just not very good for a photo hoping to sell it's item.

But, most of the hat photos I see on FL are mostly very good at showing the hat. And, it seems they were taken with cell phones.

My questions are: Is the seemingly difference the web format or is it something else?
What are the minimum requirements of a camera for decent photos on the internet?

I don't own a camera or a cell phone, but, I'm considering trying my hand at selling off some things on eBay when I clean out the clutter at my house....and maybe a couple of hats that I can no longer wear.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The most important element in taking a good photo in my experience is light. If you take the photos at night using artificial light it will be very hard to get a good photo no matter how good your camera is. The camera quality would be the second most important thing to me.

Natural indirect light (a shaded outdoor area during daylight works well) and a decent camera (even a reasonable quality phone camera) will get you photos that are reasonably good.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
A question about eBay photos vs FL photos. This probably should have gone in the 'ask a question' thread. But, I am hoping for imput from Loungers that regularly post photos here and also on eBay.

I have noticed a fairly large number of eBay hat photos that are dark, washed out or just not very good for a photo hoping to sell it's item.

But, most of the hat photos I see on FL are mostly very good at showing the hat. And, it seems they were taken with cell phones.

My questions are: Is the seemingly difference the web format or is it something else?
What are the minimum requirements of a camera for decent photos on the internet?

I don't own a camera or a cell phone, but, I'm considering trying my hand at selling off some things on eBay when I clean out the clutter at my house....and maybe a couple of hats that I can no longer wear.

- Don´t use a cell phone, they are meant to call people, not to take quality photos.
- Don´t use a cluttered background, but a bedsheet as a backdrop for instance.
- Don´t shoot at night under artificial light, most of the lamps you use to light your flat have the wrong color temperature. Use good daylight instead if you don´t want to invest in studio lighting.
- Don´t step too far away from your object, it´s ok if it fills the frame.
- Don´t upload blurry pictures, Try as long as you need to produce a sharp photo.
- You don´t need to buy an overly expensive digital camera. Most of the modern compacts will do the job nicely.

good luck

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn