Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

- Don´t use a cell phone, they are meant to call people, not to take quality photos.

Unless you buy an iPhone. Best talking camera ever. If you hold your finger on the screen in camera mode, it will lock exposure and focus at this location. Works wonders. Almost every photo I've posted here over the past 4-6 months has been taken with my iPhone. And it's the older model.

Mystic

Practically Family
The most important element in taking a good photo in my experience is light. If you take the photos at night using artificial light it will be very hard to get a good photo no matter how good your camera is. The camera quality would be the second most important thing to me.

Natural indirect light (a shaded outdoor area during daylight works well) and a decent camera (even a reasonable quality phone camera) will get you photos that are reasonably good.

Good point....

I have a small covered patio with a picnic table on it. That might be a good place to take photos of things on a sunny day.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Unless you buy an iPhone. Best talking camera ever. If you hold your finger on the screen in camera mode, it will lock exposure and focus at this location. Works wonders. Almost every photo I've posted here over the past 4-6 months has been taken with my iPhone. And it's the older model.

Yes, not always the greatest phone but good camera. Good for video as well. We retired the Flip Video camera very quickly.

Mystic

Practically Family
- Don´t use a cell phone, they are meant to call people, not to take quality photos.
- Don´t use a cluttered background, but a bedsheet as a backdrop for instance.
- Don´t shoot at night under artificial light, most of the lamps you use to light your flat have the wrong color temperature. Use good daylight instead if you don´t want to invest in studio lighting.
- Don´t step too far away from your object, it´s ok if it fills the frame.
- Don´t upload blurry pictures, Try as long as you need to produce a sharp photo.
- You don´t need to buy an overly expensive digital camera. Most of the modern compacts will do the job nicely.

good luck

Frank

Thanks for the tips. I'm finding out that experience and technique will be more important than the camera for my purposes.

I suppose a lot of the "not so good" photos on eBay are from people that just don't want to take the time to get a better photo to display.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I suppose a lot of the "not so good" photos on eBay are from people that just don't want to take the time to get a better photo to display.

Don't forget that as an eBay buyer, those people with poor quality photos and badly written titles & descriptions are often your best friend.
Sure, we sometimes have to take a bit of a chance, but those listings are often passed over by other buyers so offer a better chance of a good deal.

Mystic

Practically Family

Your photos do come out well. I can't justify the cost of having a cell phone. I no longer have a need for one.

The photos from your phone is another reason I think I don't need a very expensive camera. If a cell phone can do the job, then surely most of the cameras in the point and shoot category will meet my needs.

Maybe I will be able to post a hat photo on the lounge one day. Maybe not a head shot, but a hat shot.
I don't mind my goofy looks.....but, having them recorded for the whole world is another thing :D

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
The overall capabilities and quality of phone cameras has improved dramatically in the last years, but having an iPhone myself I am not particular convinced of the results anyhow. I am using a Nikon P7000 for my Ebay photos and analogue Leica and Canon DSLR gear for the rest. So maybe the better is the enemy of the good as we say in Germany. I would prefer a digital point and shoot over a phone cam for Ebay work though. Quality of pictures and a proper description is directly related with the amount of money you can make on Ebay. This is at least my experience over the last years.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I think the key to hat photos is natural light, regardless of camera or phone, expensive or cheap. The sun is the best light, even if it's indirect light.

I think the key to hat photos is natural light, regardless of camera or phone, expensive or cheap. The sun is the best light, even if it's indirect light.

Actually, the sun is a big challenge - especially for small point and shoot cameras and phones. These cameras use sensors with tiny pixels. A sunlit subject will have a tremendous dynamic range (the range from brightest to darkest value in your field). While your eyes can adapt to see all of this range, the camera cannot. Itty bitty pixels accentuate this problem. What you get is an image with too much contrast and blown out highlights and shadows with no information. An overcast day is best for detailed and accurate photos. Some shade will work in a pinch.

Very interesting old Mexican hat sold in France. But didn't meet reserve:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130684944614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
$(KGrHqF,!oUE9dIWN!1wBPlBs9iG5g~~60_3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn