Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Nice Robert :eusa_clap Did the seller provide a liner shot?
Unfortunately not, this one is a big gamble. The French seller did not answer inquiries before the auction ended and I was the only bidder(not a bargain however if the vague description is in error). Size 6 with the Grand Prix Turin 1911. Shipping cost was also unanswered and after waiting it turned out quite high too. Its a leap of faith[huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
zetwal said:
We're pulling for you and hope it turns out to be what you want. ;)

My guess is that it will be a very special hat - the vintage 'Fu Lazarro's are rare, and finding a 6 punti in a nice design hat makes it even rarer.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Did any of our non-USA frinds on this site win this auction on Ebay just to have the seller balk at international shipping? That is the story I am getting. The seller is asking if I am still interested because we exchanged some emails back before any bids were in. I have said that I might be interested but not to the same price as the winning bid. The auction is a bit suspect anyway, since the bidding was run up from $32.50 to the $75 winning bid by a bidder with zero feedback. If you were the winner and don't want to say so here, send me a PM. Maybe I can help out a fellow Lounger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300429356315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
KevKaos59 said:
Did any of our non-USA frinds on this site win this auction on Ebay just to have the seller balk at international shipping? That is the story I am getting. The seller is asking if I am still interested because we exchanged some emails back before any bids were in. I have said that I might be interested but not to the same price as the winning bid. The auction is a bit suspect anyway, since the bidding was run up from $32.50 to the $75 winning bid by a bidder with zero feedback. If you were the winner and don't want to say so here, send me a PM. Maybe I can help out a fellow Lounger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300429356315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Before you guys jump all over ebay sellers for balking at international shipping, keep in mind - it's a seller's right to NOT offer international shipping; unfortunately, ebay's software (the checkbox for indicating 'no international shipping') does not work correctly. This particular seller offers shipping ONLY to the U.S., as you can see from the shipping details. If a non-US buyer wanted this hat, they should have contacted the seller before bidding, asking his policy.

blixa00

One of the Regulars
I've had a bit of experience on Ebay and the bidding pattern looks fishy...the seller has a low feedback score and one bidder has no feedback at all! It looks like a classic case of what Ebay calls "shill bidding"! The seller probably just wanted to drive up the price so he (or a friend) pumped up the bids...the person that won the item balked at the price so it was offered to the next legit bidder. What ScottF says about international shipping is true...many sellers chose not to for various reasons, I personally won't ship anything to Italy or Vietnam due to previous issues.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
data on Borsalino sizing

I just bought a Borsalino on EBay (actually looked better in the photo than in the hand). The size was listed as 5 1/2. Well, there is no 5 1/2. So I asked the seller about the inside measure, and the response was 22 1/2. That's about my size, so I bought it. Arrived; tried it on; good fit. A little lower on the label is says "58." Fine. The moral of the story is that if you see a hat, or at least a Borsalino, with 5 1/2 marked, I don't know what that refers to but it's not the same size numeralogy that we are accustomed to. So seek other information if all they say is some nonsensical number like 5 1/2.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
KevKaos59 said:
I have said that I might be interested but not to the same price as the winning bid. The auction is a bit suspect anyway, since the bidding was run up from $32.50 to the $75 winning bid by a bidder with zero feedback.

Yup, all very fishy indeed--and I find the $15.00 flat rate shipping price to be a bit steep, too. Did he say why he hasn't offered it to that eager bidder that ran the price up, or if so why the eager beaver didn't take him up on it? lol

Is the seller trying to get you to pay what the shill bidder bid on it?:eek:

If you really want it I'd tell the guy you'll take it for the starting price if he insists on keeping the shipping so high. ;)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Tom

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
I agree with each point that has been made on this particular subject. The bidding is VERY suspect. The seller does have the right to not sell internationally. And yes, the shipping is steep, but it seems to be the trend on the bay. Ive actually paid $15 or more for shipping and had the package show up reflecting $8 actual shipping. The funny thing is that I never even placed a bid on this item. if it hadn't been for me emailing the seller earlier, I wouldn't have heard anything back. I had basically written off this hat when I saw how high it went. Don't know if this particular hat is worth that price, but it is not worth it to me at this time. I have made an offer of $32.50 plus shipping. What I was going to suggest is if it was an oversea Lounge member that had won that auction, I would try to get a better price and then work a no profit for me deal to help out. Probably won't matter anyway, because I doubt the seller will accept my offer. Just thinking out loud.

GWD

One Too Many
I always take the shipping price into consideration when I purchase anything on ebay. If I think the item is worth $100.00 and the shipping is $45.00 I bid $55.00 for that item. There have been times when the shipping price is more than an item is worth to me. I think the sellers feel they don't pay fees on the shipping costs so they jack the shipping price up and and make a profit that way. [huh]

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
GWD said:
I think the sellers feel they don't pay fees on the shipping costs so they jack the shipping price up and and make a profit that way. [huh]
I agree wholeheartedly.

The seller and I have emailed back and forth a few times, and it does seem like they are interested in my offer. I thought my offer was reasonable. Im just not so sure that hat is worth $90, even in like new condition. Any thoughts from the forum?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot