Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

danofarlington said:
5X refers to 40% rabbit fur, 30% nutria, and 30% beaver.
An X in a Stetson hat refers to whatever Stetson has determined it stands for but has never told anybody what it stands for.
X's are a marketing ploy to show some type of grading scale.
That would explain why Stetson has a 1000X designation.
Can't judge a hat by it's X's....

saucerfiend said:
Got this one today. The liner says 5x. I'm assuming this is good.

Brian
You got a good deal at that price. No way that has is as old as stated. The X means something to Stetson but they never tell what. The Stetsonian model has been around a while but given that product tag & box, that hat is late 70's if that old. IMHO.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
An X in a Stetson hat refers to whatever Stetson has determined it stands for but has never told anybody what it stands for.
X's are a marketing ploy to show some time of grading scale.
That would explain why Stetson has a 1000X designation.
Can't judge a hat by it's X's....
I was just waiting to see how long it took for somebody to call me a liar. I just made that up. It took longer than I thought though. Actually 5X is a felt dominated by raccoon fur.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And xs have changed wildly over the years. A 5x stetson from the early '40s was pure beaver. A 7x from the '50 and '60s was pure beaver. A modern Stetson 100X is pure beaver.

A modern 3x is not the same quality as it was 50 years ago. The scale changes from manufacturer to manufacturer as well. A 10x stetson is probably not the same as a 10x beaver brand, for instance. Unless you have a lot of experience and have handled a lot of hats to be able to figure out the changes over time, the x system can be very misleading.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
And xs have changed wildly over the years. A 5x stetson from the early '40s was pure beaver. A 7x from the '50 and '60s was pure beaver. A modern Stetson 100X is pure beaver.

A modern 3x is not the same quality as it was 50 years ago. The scale changes from manufacturer to manufacturer as well. A 10x stetson is probably not the same as a 10x beaver brand, for instance. Unless you have a lot of experience and have handled a lot of hats to be able to figure out the changes over time, the x system can be very misleading.

Thanks for the education. The brim certainly won't stay snapped as far down as I want. Nothing like my Pliafelt Mallory. You can sure see and feel the difference in quality between them.
BTW, Does anyone know anthing about this one? I posted before, but no replies. And please lead me to the right thread to clean this hat. I'd certainly appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140410270230&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Brian

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:

Thanks for that! Now I understand. So, what about 500X and 1000X?

Way back when I was told the X's didn't directly translate to percentage of beaver fur but to quality of the felt and workmanship of the hat. Two hats could both be pure beaver but NOT the same quality.

billyspew

One Too Many
saucerfiend said:
Thanks for the education. The brim certainly won't stay snapped as far down as I want. Nothing like my Pliafelt Mallory. You can sure see and feel the difference in quality between them.
BTW, Does anyone know anthing about this one? I posted before, but no replies. And please lead me to the right thread to clean this hat. I'd certainly appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140410270230&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Brian

That's a lovely Marathon. 40's/50's. Made by the Frank H. Lee Company.

jeffconnors said:
7 3/4 w a 23 inch circumference, I am a betting man myself, taken bets on the real size of this hat. I got 2 bits on a 7 3/8
We will see the real size when I get it, I think the confusion about the size drove down the price.[huh]
If its 7 3/8 and above its all gravy...:rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250634904910&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

It might well be a 7 3/8 but the sweatband being wavy like that probably contributed to the poor measuring by the seller. Flat sweatbands are easier to measure. ;)
What if it is a true 7 3/4 with something behind the sweatband to make it smaller? ;)
I'll keep my fingers crossed for a 7 3/8 if that is your size. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany