Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I get pretty lost after the 60s, but I think that really bright crest is more recent than 80s. The mid-90s Saxon I had didn't have it, so I'm going with something in the last 15 years.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
I get pretty lost after the 60s, but I think that really bright crest is more recent than 80s. The mid-90s Saxon I had didn't have it, so I'm going with something in the last 15 years.

Looking at it again, that size tag does look a bit newer (squared corners). Maybe even into this century?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Not really happy with this Stetson

I have to say after having this with me for a day, now, I am not happy with this Stetson.

It is stiff, for one thing. Not as nice and velvety as my older hats. Also, I just don't like the way this looks on me.

blk_stetson_01.jpg

blk_stetson_02.jpg

I guess I DON'T have my black hat! LOL

Back to the bay.

Put it back on the e-Bay block MV. Look for a nice vintage lid. Your size, there has to be one more sooner than later.;)

Mobile Vulgus said:
I have to say after having this with me for a day, now, I am not happy with this Stetson.

It is stiff, for one thing. Not as nice and velvety as my older hats. Also, I just don't like the way this looks on me.

blk_stetson_01.jpg

blk_stetson_02.jpg

I guess I DON'T have my black hat! LOL

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mobile Vulgus said:
Also, I just don't like the way this looks on me.

blk_stetson_01.jpg
That's the most unfixable thing about a hat on a person. Unfortunate that we buyers can't know that before the purchase, as you could do in a store. Good to make your decision and move on. Often I keep things that I'm not happy with out of inertia, or worse, wear them even though they're not right.

Feraud

Bartender
danofarlington said:
That's the most unfixable thing about a hat on a person. Unfortunate that we buyers can't know that before the purchase, as you could do in a store.
Taking an honest appraisal of what crown height, shape and brim length looks best on you goes a long way in online purchases.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yes...

This is what I am thinking. This crown is very short and no matter how I tilt is, the thing just doesn't look good on me. It fits perfectly fine. There isn't a thing physically wrong with the hat. But I just plain don't like it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Resistol San Antonio

I just got this a few minutes ago. According to the seller, he had it cleaned, reblocked, and a new liner affixed by Optimo.

Here's a quick tour of the hat.

The seller simply wrapped the included original box in brown paper, resulting in this...

5045021968_1799ba6b26_z.jpg

Nothing major, but still disappointing.

A quick and dirty few photos..
5045022580_b66afc9392_z.jpg

I don't believe that this hat is actually silverbelly it just simply looks like a darkish light grey under any light including bright sunlight. [huh] Even though the hat tag says silverbelly... it just seems a bit dark. [Edit: after looking at it a while, I have to say it's a darker member of the denomination of Silverbelly]
5044400463_929f1216c1_z.jpg

5045024602_fd7380a201_z.jpg

Hooray!! The ribbon is only tacked down at the bow and one tiny spot on the front of the hat... [note the use of sarcasm]
5044402471_1d55fbe105.jpg

5045024014_be3cc55ea6.jpg

this is particularly disturbing... :eek:
5045024958_b6ee646cf3_z.jpg

While there were a few unadvertised surprises like the moth divots [discovered a few more after these were taken] and whatever happened around the brim break area [moths again?], there's nothing horribly amiss. Though I won't hide the fact that I'm more than a bit disappointed with Optimo's ribbon and liner attachment, the other tack spot barely holds it in place and the liner stitches are coming out. Overall, the hat was clean, it fits perfectly, and somewhat fills the void in my collection where an Open Road belongs.

Randy

P.S if anything here sounds negative, I'm not intending it so. ;)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
As instructed by the moderator, I'll put this in the "ebay gripes" section....

I have to say, nearly every month ebay makes it harder and harder to sell things on its service. The newest annoyance to sellers is that now you HAVE to sign up for automatic debit from your bank account to pay seller's fees or you cannot sell anything on ebay. This is bull sh** (excuse my French).

When ebay first started you did not have to have a credit card, you could accept all sorts of different payment methods, and the fees were slight.

But every other month ebay is making it less worth messing with it as a seller. Fees have climbed, percentages have climbed, they force you to use paypal, and now you can't even pay your fees when YOU want to THEY take it out of your bank account when THEY want to.

Yep, everyday it is less worth the effort to be a seller on ebay.

theinterchange

One Too Many
And here's the hat on my head. I'm not pumped up about the current bash, so I'll do some tweaking later!
5045368074_c934c355ac_z.jpg

It photographs slightly lighter than it is in reality, but this is under incandescent light.

Randy

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Wot was the price on this one? I really like these caps, and have built a steady collection of originals, and passing on the ones that are too big for me.

bk
A $130.00 BIN splurge for a 7-1/4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran