Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
0121012215.jpg

Anyway, what do you guys think about this one?
The flip side of the size has the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union which I believe puts it somewhere between 1976 and 1995..

Looks great on you, Alex, in both color and proportion. Nice!

T Rick

Practically Family
This one came in the mail only three days after I ordered it. Seller claimed it was vintage late 50s early 60s.

The flip side of the size has the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union which I believe puts it somewhere between 1976 and 1995..
Great looking hat, regardless of the Sellers error. You wear it well.

1981 is when the United Hatters... merged with ACTWU so that's the earliest possible.
Thanks rlk, a great bit of knowledge, that has helped me more closely date my two semi-vintage Open Roads! They both have that label, and a size tag without the metric size. So, they are post 1980 for sure. You wouldn't happen to know the latest date of use for that Union label, or the earliest date for the addition of Metric sizes to the tags on US made Stetsons, would you? That would help me nail them down a little closer.

Yes, a size tag would be nice. If the box is original to the hat as described, I would guess sixties - prior to the perforated ribbon sweatband era. But I could be wrong, too.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I got 2 in today, but one is alrady at Optimo for some work, so I'll add it in a few weeks.

Here is the other one... A rancher style Stetson from Morris Men's Shop, Stock Yard Inn, Chicago.

The hat itself is in great shape. Felt holds shape well, is not soiled and is very soft.

5378211131_55f41402eb.jpg

5378211225_36cd53b315.jpg

5378811016_c8228d6d06.jpg

Sadly, the sweatband is flaking all apart and has a few small cracks in it. But because it has such a great imprint (Chicago Stock Yards? Come ON!!) I am not going to replace it. I oiled it up with some mink oil to stop it from getting much worse and that will be that. At least the seller's imprint isn't flaking, anyway.

5378811138_e6d5d7734c.jpg

5378211277_0537b0563e.jpg

5378811086_a2bcfb3dfc.jpg

Brim snapped down:

5378211373_1906636770.jpg

Brim Snapped up, Western style:

5378811170_ca013bb9ae.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
This one came in the mail only three days after I ordered it. Seller claimed it was vintage late 50s early 60s.

Sharp looking lid! I like the underwelt!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Great looking hat, regardless of the Sellers error. You wear it well.

Thanks rlk, a great bit of knowledge, that has helped me more closely date my two semi-vintage Open Roads! They both have that label, and a size tag without the metric size. So, they are post 1980 for sure. You wouldn't happen to know the latest date of use for that Union label, or the earliest date for the addition of Metric sizes to the tags on US made Stetsons, would you? That would help me nail them down a little closer.
In 1995 they merged with ILGWU to form UNITE. I don't know when they added Metric. Perhaps the '79 Hatco purchase of Stetson from Stevens(name rights).

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Very interesting. There is a fairly lively market for Gurkha kukhuri knives as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24