Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Happens to me too--I have to stop the page in mid-loading at the right time...

Thanks... it looked tantalizing in the half second glimpse before it disappeared. Reminds me of this heather stetson, without the fancy stitching.

stetson_tijuana.jpg

electro481

New in Town
Is there a way to tell what date a stetson hat is by looking at the liner? Is there any information out there on this? I'm looking at a hat on ebay and just wondering what age it is. Thanks in advance.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This is also an important thing to remember. Unless you have a hat torn down and professionally resized, it is likely to get a taper because you are bulging the body at the sweatband but not all the way up the crown evenly. You should expect a taper to develop. Me, I like tapers, so it doesn't bother me.

Kind of like this bulge:

0414092331_640x480.jpg

which I eventually morphed into this:

0331001325a.jpg

The top picture is the hat as a 7 1/8 stretched out to a tight 7 3/8 with a hat stretcher similar to the one pictured above. The bottom pic is the same hat, reblocked on a 7 3/8 block, brim trimmed and re-ribboned (not finished in this picture) and new sweat.

The original sweat held up to the stretching but the hat had that bulge.

Last edited:

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
There is little doubt about that. Somebody wants it more than I do. I bid $175 and somebody trumped me within an hour. It might go for more than $200. My consolation prize is a gray Biltmore Designer series fedora that was on sale at Hats Plus. Should be here Monday. I may not be cut out for the vintage thing.

This is proof that posting live links to current ebay auctions is a bad idea, especially when it is a hat the poster himself has bid on. I'm hoping the practice is discontinued by all, regardless of the rules. Jumped from $40 to $175 within an hour or two of the post here.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
This is proof that posting live links to current ebay auctions is a bad idea, especially when it is a hat the poster himself has bid on. I'm hoping the practice is discontinued by all, regardless of the rules. Jumped from $40 to $175 within an hour or two of the post here.

As Space Ghost used to say, "There's a lesson in here somewhere."

I just knew the second I saw that post that the Lounger in question would immediately find himself on the losing end of that auction.

So, yes, I agree 100% that live auctions should never be posted unless it is in the classifieds where a Lounger is trying to sell his item.

I also don't like to see live auctions posted "just for information" because some Lounger may have already bid on the item and he might suddenly find a lot of competition that might not other wise had seen the auction. I think this sort of direct competition drives prices higher then necessary. Let everyone find their own auctions without others pointing them out to everyone.

Last edited:

warbird

One Too Many
I actually bought 2 hats on ebay this week. I almost never buy hats on there, but they were in my size and I need a couple more in my size as my collection of wearable hats has shrunk drastically. Paid a princely for for each

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I also don't like to see live auctions posted "just for information" because some Lounger may have already bid on the item and he might suddenly find a lot of competition that might not other wise had seen the auction. I think this sort of direct competition drives prices higher then necessary. Let everyone find their own auctions without others pointing them out to everyone.

Amen.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As Space Ghost used to say, "There's a lesson in here somewhere."

I just knew the second I saw that post that the Lounger in question would immediately find himself on the losing end of that auction.

So, yes, I agree 100% that live auctions should never be posted unless it is in the classifieds where a Lounger is trying to sell his item.

Well put ! I'm a member of several watch Forums and they DO NOT allow live auctions to be posted. I was surprised to see it is allowed here. :) I have to agree with all you have said !

Onward thru the Fog & Snow :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Additionally, it hasn't been said but I'm sure everyone is aware not just registered members read this forum. Unregistered lurkers are lurking about as well, waiting to snap up our beloved vintage lids. Take heed!!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Steve - I knew that you'd go for that one. Panamas aside this is the only Mayser I've seen so far with what seems to be a pug . I think you're probably right about the age, but it could even be from the very early 60's. With its unlined crown and the label it reminds me a lof of my beige 1961 Mayser Superbe. Great score! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

How's it about those Mayser Homburg(s). Any luck?

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thats why it should be okay for a seller to post their own link. An FLer should be able to get a nice price. If you post links to live auctions other than your own, all that happens is that prices are driven up for non-FL sellers. Thats a no-win for all FLers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24