Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Recently won this size 5 1/2 Punti Borsalino.

$(KGrHqUOKpwE0Vqn+umhBNZqKNy8JQ~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKooE0fiLSu(lBNZqLKu1-Q~~_12.JPG

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Rest Easy

I might be in trouble with my wife, but I I just had to have this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280639851755&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT . I went over what I was told I could bid by $10, but I would have kicked myself if I didn't give it one last try.

Also picked this up the other day for practically nothing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250779490583&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT . It should be coming any day now.

That Mj hudkins character has some fine lids. You'll be pleased!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I got this one for a song. It had a disintegrated leather woven band on it that I had to take off. It's in great shape, I stuck a black pug on it the the time being.

I noticed on the front of the sweat there's an insignia of "Slichi", does anyone know what this means?

I also noticed that the front stitching on the sweatband is way different than the rest of the sweat. Is this intentional, or someone trying to fix it?

this is the stitching I was referring to.
DSC05753.jpg

Silchi means Silky

The front of the sweatband has a vented flap with corrugated insert to keep you cooler up front. Nice hat, I have one too in brown.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Lots of great hats go right by many members here, including me. About half of my ebay hats have come to me because only one or two others noticed them, keeping the price down.

Posting live auctions is permitted, but most members - at least those who care to comment - are not fans of that policy. When you spot that golden nugget, whisper, don't yell "eureka". Keep it under your Stetson. :)

By "whisper," do you mean tell only a few selected people by PM? Just wondering.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I just mean that it's best to keep it to yourself. When you post a find, you've just announced it to more than the members here, you've also announced it to all of the lurkers. There's a chance that this will drive the price higher than it would otherwise go, and the bidders who would want to keep the auction as low profile as possible will not be your biggest fans. This is true whether you believe that the hat is badly listed or not. Sometimes, an auction that's obvious to you is a hidden pearl to someone else.

Again, the policy says to post all the live auctions you want, and you're certainly entitled to do so, but remember that posting a live auction tends to bother anyone who is or would otherwise be in on the action. It's more of a gentlemen's agreement. Sending a PM to a buddy about that hat he's been looking for; that's another story. I think that many of us have done that.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I've made the mistake of posting live auctions before, even after the ban was lifted (not knowing about the general public's annoyance with it, obviously). It's one of those unspoken rules that we just don't violate, out of respect for the bidders' status quos, and so we don't give away our finds. It's generally just an easy way to keep prices lower for ourselves and our friends here on the Lounge. And so the bidders that haven't revealed themselves don't chew us out.

I never would have figured this without my own dosage of FL 101. :eek:

BTW, Lefty, great new sig. Very convenient.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Those are just some of my favorites, linked for my own reference - and for anyone else who finds them useful. The list will probably change as my interests change, and it's by no means at attempt to supplant the "Important Links" thread or an expression of disdain for other threads. I do that sort of thing directly. :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I just mean that it's best to keep it to yourself. When you post a find, you've just announced it to more than the members here, you've also announced it to all of the lurkers. There's a chance that this will drive the price higher than it would otherwise go, and the bidders who would want to keep the auction as low profile as possible will not be your biggest fans. This is true whether you believe that the hat is badly listed or not. Sometimes, an auction that's obvious to you is a hidden pearl to someone else.

Again, the policy says to post all the live auctions you want, and you're certainly entitled to do so, but remember that posting a live auction tends to bother anyone who is or would otherwise be in on the action. It's more of a gentlemen's agreement. Sending a PM to a buddy about that hat he's been looking for; that's another story. I think that many of us have done that.

Gotcha.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
got sniped while i was at work twice this weekend! oh, well. I think one of 'em used to be yours, randooch.

Anyway- without linking or giving anything away, has anyone else come across the hat listing or listings where the photos are modeled by someone in running pants and a pillow case over their head and torso?? I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that one!:wacko:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24