Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RORsidedown.jpg

Jeff

Again, nice snag & excellent re-creasing!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just won this Stetson Pacemaker!!!! Im really excited. Even though its a 6 7/8 and not a 7, it doesnt really matter. I bought this as a piece of Stetson history. With a 6 inch open crown, I think Im going to try and crease it like in one of these Pacemaker advertisements. Based off of the Sweatband crest stamp, this hat probably dates to the late 20's or early 30's. Even though the advertisements date from the mid-teens, it looks like the hat hadnt changed much. The distinctive ribbon even seems the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280646037795&si=w2xjXIlOxGpxpBJFtiETr3GynHk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

1916StetsonPacemaker.jpg

Stetson1916springsummercatalog7.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic win. I was hoping that someone here would get it, and saved the photos from the auction the moment I spotted it. That font looks just like Dinerman's The Motor and I've got to imagine that they date to the same time. Congratulations. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I have not seen that rectangular Stetson sweatband stamp.
Same here. It's almost like it's integrated into the store's logo (which would certainly be odd), as I think there are plenty of hats with the JBS Select Quality alone.

BTW, that ribbon is fantastic. I don't know when they stopped, but Stetson was weaving it's own ribbons (both the type for the crown and binding, and for the little back bows) at least up to 1929. I'll scan some images I have of the looms and post them in the Stetson Stuff thread a bit later. It's incredible stuff.

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Josh, that pacemaker is definitely earlier than the 30's and most likely earlier than the 20's. 2.5" sweatband with the adjustable thread gives it away. As does the small size tag. Congrats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Someone here grabbed that sweet 1950's Champ that our very own Josh sold? I really love the pug.
[/CENTER]

Yep, that was mine Mario. I loved the pug too, but the crown was a bit lower than what I like nowadays and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to raise beyond a 4 1/2 inch pinch without looking weird. A new lounger bought it and will be very happy with it. I hope this win will encourage him to be an active participant in the lounge. Congrats!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yep, that was mine Mario. I loved the pug too, but the crown was a bit lower than what I like nowadays and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to raise beyond a 4 1/2 inch pinch without looking weird.

Exactly my point. I really loved the color and the pug but the crown height (or the lack thereof) kept me from bidding.

Congrats on that Pacemaker! :) It's a pity but I just can't stand homburgs atop my noggin...

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nice find, Josh. Show us when you get it!

Fantastic win. I was hoping that someone here would get it, and saved the photos from the auction the moment I spotted it. That font looks just like Dinerman's The Motor and I've got to imagine that they date to the same time. Congratulations. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Josh, that pacemaker is definitely earlier than the 30's and most likely earlier than the 20's. 2.5" sweatband with the adjustable thread gives it away. As does the small size tag. Congrats.

Thanks very much hatophile, Lefty, and Garrett!!! Im still super excited. This will be a perfect addition to my pre-30's hat collection that Im working on. I will make sure to post really good detailed pictures when I get it. Garrett, the only thing that made me think that the hat was from the later part of the 1920's was because of the sweatband stamp. I didnt see any medal stamping or anything, but the sweatband, adjustable thread, and size tag do appear to be super early. Also the reeded sweatband was very interesting to me.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Same here. It's almost like it's integrated into the store's logo (which would certainly be odd), as I think there are plenty of hats with the JBS Select Quality alone.

BTW, that ribbon is fantastic. I don't know when they stopped, but Stetson was weaving it's own ribbons (both the type for the crown and binding, and for the little back bows) at least up to 1929. I'll scan some images I have of the looms and post them in the Stetson Stuff thread a bit later. It's incredible stuff.

Thats awesome, Lefty. Thanks!! I cant wait to see those pics!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sold Robert an early Select Quality with similar markings and the adjustable thread. Select Quality has been around since the turn of the 20th century. Those large deep vertical crests are great early examples. Well done :)

Very exciting purchase, Josh... congratulations. The type is very similar to my Motor (formerly Dinerman's motor) but I think your hat is earlier. Can't wait to see your pictures when it arrives.

motor8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy