Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

That hat did go high, but it is a nicely blocked and finished 30+ year old Borsalino branded straw in excellent condition. Not mine, but I bookmarked it. I don't remember seeing many others over the past year.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
That hat did go high, but it is a nicely blocked and finished 30+ year old Borsalino branded straw in excellent condition. Not mine, but I bookmarked it. I don't remember seeing many others over the past year.

Agree. Nice vintage Panama. Looks to be a decent Montecristi from the photos. Speaking of which, it looks like Ebay must be monitoring our grievances on this thread as they have reinstated Ebay hosted listing photos of completed auctions tonight.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... it looks like Ebay must be monitoring our grievances on this thread as they have reinstated Ebay hosted listing photos of completed auctions tonight.

On this thread? More like thousands of posts on dozens of threads throughout the Internet. This has released an uproar among eBay's sellers and buyers. You should see what eBay's own forum looks like right now: a giant powder keg.

HatsEnough

Banned
I have another Twentyfive that is a bit older, but basically the same. The sweatband is a bit curled in back. I might sell that one and replace it with the one I just picked up.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I have another Twentyfive that is a bit older, but basically the same. The sweatband is a bit curled in back. I might sell that one and replace it with the one I just picked up.
That's funny, I think my other one is older also. It has a totally different liner.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
On this thread? More like thousands of posts on dozens of threads throughout the Internet. This has released an uproar among eBay's sellers and buyers. You should see what eBay's own forum looks like right now: a giant powder keg.

Yep, every forum I'm associated with complained about it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Hope this wasn't a lounge member:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160661845002?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

For that kinda dough I'm sure Panama Bob could get you a much finer weave

Hi Garrett - hope you're doing well. I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. $200 for a vintage Borsalino Montecristi with that weave is a pretty decent deal. It's true that the old Montecristis typically go cheaper than this, but $200 is still better than you can do with new ones. Perhaps PanamaBob will chime in on this - I would love to hear that he can give us brand new Montecristis with finer weaves, at this price.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Just BIN'd this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190585128841?

Then found this one, which uses the same picture:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Borsalino-Alessandria-Fedora-Mens-Hat-7-1-8-SZ-/120745523140

The seller sent me pics of the interior which are not the same (but close) as the pics shown in the interior of the second auction. Also, he told me the tag said '7 1/4'. Hopefully he just ripped off a picture to use, and the hat will be similar.

I hate quoting myself, but for those who are curious: the hat arrived, and as expected, it's not the one in the picture - it's the typical lightweight, paper-like-felt Allesandro. A nice hat, but not as lush of a felt as the one advertised.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to see you, Scott. I remember PB telling me a year or so ago that he could get fine weaves for this price range but I can't remember if they were Montecristis.

Hi Garrett - hope you're doing well. I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. $200 for a vintage Borsalino Montecristi with that weave is a pretty decent deal. It's true that the old Montecristis typically go cheaper than this, but $200 is still better than you can do with new ones. Perhaps PanamaBob will chime in on this - I would love to hear that he can give us brand new Montecristis with finer weaves, at this price.

Omne

Familiar Face
I just received a Stetson 3X beaver that I purchased on eBay and found something very interesting in the hat band. The initials JWF are on the band and there was a folded piece of paper in to tighten it a bit. I unfolded the paper and found this:

img001.jpg

Just finding this made the purchase worth it ( all of $16 )

Of course the hat isn't too shabby either even though the bash needs some serious work. It's a Selv-Edge.

005-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

001.jpg

Any guess on age? Looks like 50s or older from looking at the letterhead.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Because...?

In the 50s the back bow came back in style for a short time. By the 60s the back bow was out again. They didn't start using clear plastic on the crown of the liner until the 50s.

Edit to add: Also, on the letter head, that phone number prefix of "Woodward 5-0045" is a typical late 50s early 60s style of phone number. By the late 60s the "Woodward" part would be replace by an area code and three numbers instead of a word prefix and one number.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I just received a Stetson 3X beaver that I purchased on eBay and found something very interesting in the hat band. The initials JWF are on the band and there was a folded piece of paper in to tighten it a bit. I unfolded the paper and found this:

img001.jpg

Very cool! Maybe you'll find that after a short stint as an insurance agent, Mr. Fogarty started a rock band called Credence Clearwater Revival. (Okay, so maybe the time line doesn't quite jive . . .)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I hate quoting myself, but for those who are curious: the hat arrived, and as expected, it's not the one in the picture - it's the typical lightweight, paper-like-felt Allesandro. A nice hat, but not as lush of a felt as the one advertised.

I was curious and appreciate the follow-up. Do you plan to pursue it at all with the seller?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24