Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatsEnough

Banned
WOW, a 1920s or 30s Stetson Airlite goes for well over $300!!

It was misadvertised as a "Bencheley 3 way hat" because it was with one of those 3-way hat boxes (not in good shape). But this hat is very, very interesting. It has a cloth sweatband, not leather, and the whole underside of the felt hat is cloth, not felt!

Take a look. Any info from the better informed Loungers as to just what this strange Stetson is would be helpful. RLK? Anyone?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I put in a pretty high bid, but alas, I was outbidded. I was willing to go $250, but someone wanted it more. It was the best example of that type of hat that I've ever seen. A 20'S PREMIER QUALITY!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Any info from the better informed Loungers as to just what this strange Stetson is would be helpful. RLK? Anyone?

It is a early 20's Tuxedo hat and are very rare to begin with. I've never seen a Stetson Tuxedo hat with the 4 medal liner, Premier Designation, and the condition that this one was in. This is an INCREDIBLE purchase to the person that bought it.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
I put in a pretty high bid, but alas, I was outbidded. I was willing to go $250, but someone wanted it more. It was the best example of that type of hat that I've ever seen. A 20'S PREMIER QUALITY!!! :cry::cry::cry:

I threw in a bid of $290 at the 7 sec. mark imagining that no one would go higher (and wondering how I'd explain it to my wife) and MAN was I surprised to see it get to almost $340!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
WOW, a 1920s or 30s Stetson Airlite goes for well over $300!!

It was misadvertised as a "Bencheley 3 way hat" because it was with one of those 3-way hat boxes (not in good shape). But this hat is very, very interesting. It has a cloth sweatband, not leather, and the whole underside of the felt hat is cloth, not felt!

Take a look. Any info from the better informed Loungers as to just what this strange Stetson is would be helpful. RLK? Anyone?

It's a tuxedo fedora. The fabric on the underside of the brim is faille silk. These 'luxury' hats were popular in the late '20s and early '30s, and they were indeed worn with tuxedos.

Tuxedo fedoras are rare, and it's rarer still to find one with the fabric so beautifully intact. (Faille tends to shatter with age.)

Dinerman, RLK, Douglas and others here own (or owned) vintage tuxedo fedoras. I have a late 1920s one made by Mossant for Alexander & Oviatt, but the brim's faille covering has shattered over time.

Last edited:

Iyor

One of the Regulars
I blew my budget on that one. Its a rare hat and I was hoping I'd find a tuxedo hat so I went all in. I figured if I wanted it I would have to bid really high but I didn't think that high.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I blew my budget on that one. Its a rare hat and I was hoping I'd find a tuxedo hat so I went all in. I figured if I wanted it I would have to bid really high but I didn't think that high.

Thank goodness it was you who bought it, Iyor. I was really worried that a non-lounge member bought it and I just had visions of brim cutting.....

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Funny thing is, vintage tuxedo fedoras weren't going for much money on eBay a few years ago.

I would be willing to bet that if the hat were made by any other manufacture, the price would have been half of what it was in a size 7. I have always wanted a Tuxedo hat, but especially a Stetson Premier quality.

Good bidding Iyor... a fantastic win, and if you find yourself regretting the purchase you know who to call!

cheers,
Alan

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I was very keen on bidding on the incredible Stetson 3-Way, despite my cranium being 4+ sizes larger, and had to restrain myself with great difficulty as I knew several of my size 7 friends here would be participating in the bidding war that ensued.

A well deserved congratulations, Iyor, and I sure hope you are a size 7, as otherwise I would regret my decision not to bid! lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Did any of you bid on this vintage '30s oxblood fedora? It looks just like the one Johnny Depp wore in the movie "Public Enemies". Large size: 7 1/2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160650811098

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

Depp1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members