Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
I would call this a VICTORY! I don't usually sell on eBay, but I got this Richman Brothers hat from another seller who advertised it as a size 8 -- my size! Of course, it turned out to be a 7-1/2. Well, I only paid $15.50 for the hat and I knew that I could turn it around for a profit. There are many more bidders attracted to a 7-1/2 than to a size 8. Also, I provided plenty of info and pix, including what the heck a "wind cord" is, etc.

My not-too-good picture from the eBay listing. The color is actually a rich, chocolate brown:
$(KGrHqIOKo8E6RtdOb7YBOvtlRbCug~~60_12.JPG

The hat sold for $127.50 to a gentleman from Albuquerque.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I would call this a VICTORY! I don't usually sell on eBay, but I got this Richman Brothers hat from another seller who advertised it as a size 8 -- my size! Of course, it turned out to be a 7-1/2. Well, I only paid $15.50 for the hat and I knew that I could turn it around for a profit. There are many more bidders attracted to a 7-1/2 than to a size 8. Also, I provided plenty of info and pix, including what the heck a "wind cord" is, etc.

My not-too-good picture from the eBay listing. The color is actually a rich, chocolate brown:
$(KGrHqIOKo8E6RtdOb7YBOvtlRbCug~~60_12.JPG

The hat sold for $127.50 to a gentleman from Albuquerque.

Size 8?? Dear god, finding vintage hats in your size must be an epic struggle... good on you for making a profit on a misrepresented item.

MikePotts

Practically Family
You are definitely first in line, MP ;)

'preciate the thought Mike, but the reason I didn't pull the trigger on it when I had the chance is that it is (just like the other hat) way too nice for me. I'm much happier with my old stained Marathon, new Towncraft & Richmans, a nice selection that I don't have to 'baby'.

MP

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
'preciate the thought Mike, but the reason I didn't pull the trigger on it when I had the chance is that it is (just like the other hat) way too nice for me. I'm much happier with my old stained Marathon, new Towncraft & Richmans, a nice selection that I don't have to 'baby'.

MP
10-4 :). I'll keep you in mind when I decide to part with one with more "character"

randooch

I'll Lock Up

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
This phenomenal stovepipe arrived today. Looks to be 19th century, probably 1860-1870s. Crown is 6 7/8" tall, and it has brown silk plush on the tip, with black around the pipe and the brim, all of it perfect with no rubbing. A few dents here and there, but totally repairable. Size 7 1/4. See the toppers thread for more pics of this and the great bucket it came with. Definitely a treasure. Given all these awesome qualities, it went for a song.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19059808654...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1179

stove1.jpg

Edit: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?36577-Toppers-Unite&p=1355112&viewfull=1#post1355112

Last edited:

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I am not sure if this is the right thread for this, but a couple of years ago I bought a Royal Deluxe Stetson on eBay. It is a size 7 and in very good shape. I don't ever wear it because I realized I liked it more in the photos than in person; just my personal style and taste - I don't like the ribbon and the brim is shaped as a bowler (upwards?). Anyway, I think I paid about $50 for it and am going to re-sell it on eBay. Is $50 a good starting price when selling it? I am not looking to rip off anyone on eBay especially that I think (?) I have been very fortunate with the hats I have won on there so far.
I know photos would help, but the hat is vintage and in great condition; no moth bites. The only downside is the inside lining has a few stains in it; looks like coffee splashes.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Is $50 a good starting price when selling it? I am not looking to rip off anyone on eBay especially that I think (?) I have been very fortunate with the hats I have won on there so far.

In my opinion, the best strategy for selling on eBay is to list your item with a very low opening bid and let people to bid up to the selling point. Good luck with the sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran