Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Iyor

One of the Regulars
I just hope the Colonel didn't stretch this one toooooo much.

Surprised the heck out of me too and I've gone pretty high before. I believe Ephraim had a similiar one listed in 7 1/8 recently for a third. I guess when 2 people really want something...

Alan what makes you think it was stretched?

Alan what makes you think it was stretched?

Seller was a former member here. Had some great old hats, sometimes handled too aggressively and then put up for sale. A size 7 1/8 that fits like a 7 1/4, with sweatband tear, rear seam condition issues and photos of a fully inverted sweatband caused me condition concern. That said, I hope my comment turns out to be rash and the hat a real winner.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Seller was a former member here. Had some great old hats, sometimes handled too aggressively and then put up for sale. A size 7 1/8 that fits like a 7 1/4, with sweatband tear, rear seam condition issues and photos of a fully inverted sweatband caused me condition concern. That said, I hope my comment turns out to be rash and the hat a real winner.

I remember hatsenough. I didn't realize that it was actually a 7 1/8. I would guess that this is the one Ephraim sold recently that had the same sweat with that design.

Brad should be interesting. I was talking with my grandfather recently about hats from the golden era. We got to talking about Cavanagh hats since I always ask him how the other manufacturers compared to each other and he told me that while he lived in Connecticuit (I think it was then, but maybe in NY)he didn't know John Cavanagh, he had many friends who knew him quite well, sadly they are not with us anymore. He did tell me though he remembers that through the 30s stetson did compete with Cavanagh and Dobbs, but that they fell off a bit. He also said that Dobbs was considered a better hat than Knox during that time.

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family

A little off topic here, but, since the subject of stretching has come up....

What would be the maxium amount do you feel would be safe to stretch a hat? I have read 2 hat sizes.....That seems to be a big (pun intended) stretch to me.

I suppose each hat's condition would have something to do with it. But, as a sort of a general rule...how much would be safe?

Iyor

One of the Regulars
It depends how soft/pliable the sweat is, but every hatter I think will say somethjng else. Sometimes when you stretch too much the flange can become out of shape.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
SAFE is no stretching. If not re-blocking the hat properly, the larger the change the greater the damage and risk of fiber failure(leather, thread, ribbon, felt) and shape distortion.

m0nk

One Too Many
Definitely is. As far as I can find out after they set-up their own manufacturing in the 50's they never produced a felted edge again. The 3 felted edge ones I have seen (I own one) were all marked De-Luxe.
I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on this. Were they a division of another until the 50's? If so, would having an Adam brand with felted edge signify a pre 50's hat with a potential other maker behind the label? When they produced felted edge brims did they only stick with over/under welts or did they ever do the guild edge? Would you say that a De-Luxe had any other greater characteristics to them beyond the brim edge? I know that's quite a few questions, but it would help be better gauge the hat's history and possible value beyond it being a good deal. Thanks!

A little off topic here, but, since the subject of stretching has come up....

What would be the maxium amount do you feel would be safe to stretch a hat? I have read 2 hat sizes.....That seems to be a big (pun intended) stretch to me.

I suppose each hat's condition would have something to do with it. But, as a sort of a general rule...how much would be safe?

With my stretchers & done by me, one hat size = 7 1/2 to 7 5/8, or 7 3/8 XLO to 7 1/2 XLO, etc....
Anything more, I'd send off to be re-blocked.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
I was watching this one too.

The Hückel (Weilheim) Chevreau looks to be the same as mine. This is a fantastic hat.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-huckel%c2%b4s-sohne-huckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page__view__findpost__p__537

The other Hückel (Weilheim) Special looks fantastic too.

Both are most likely mid 1950s and of the highest quality.

Thanks for the encouragement! The hats are enroute from Germany and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them up close. My luck typically trends in the opposite direction...you know, a box full of wool costume hats leftover from Halloween or such would be more my speed. Not that my collection is ever really "complete" but I have long sought after a nice sage green fedora and that Huckel may be IT

Thanks for the encouragement! The hats are enroute from Germany and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them up close. My luck typically trends in the opposite direction...you know, a box full of wool costume hats leftover from Halloween or such would be more my speed. Not that my collection is ever really "complete" but I have long sought after a nice sage green fedora and that Huckel may be IT

I look forward to seeing both of them in detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch