Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

EggHead

Practically Family
I would have posted, but I didn't win.

How on earth can it be that no one around here has posted this yet:

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fedora-OVI...-Hills-Gray-Brown-Felt-Sz-7-1-4-/140691021108

It's from Oviatt's, for Pete's sake! Almost certainly a Knox model designed especially by James Oviatt for his store.

Don't know about Oviatt's? Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Oviatt_Building

And click on the photo albums in here: http://www.myspace.com/oviatt_2008/photos

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hmm, I have to disagree about it being a Knox; I don't see anything on the hat that resembles a Hat Corporation of America product. I'm not sure what company made it.

Brad

The reason why I think it's probably (though not indubitably) a Knox is that James Oviatt had a 'special relationship' with the company. In 1907, right after arriving in Southern California, Oviatt got a job as a clerk/windowdresser at the newly opened 'Knox the Hatter' store in downtown Los Angeles. When the store closed a few years later, Oviatt (who'd just opened his own haberdashery) became the sole Los Angeles supplier of Knox hats, and remained so throughout the 'teens and early '20s. In fact, the E.M. Knox Retail Co. agreed in 1927 to offer Oviatt clothing for sale at its own 'Knox' stores in New York and San Francisco. (The deal fell through, however.)

Until the mid 1930s, Knox was the only domestic hat brand sold in Oviatt's store; his imported brands included Mossant, Borsalino, and Vinemet. Knox --as well as Borsalino and Mossant-- also made 'Oviatt Model' hats that were purportedly designed by James Oviatt himself. The 'Oviatt Model' hats didn't always include the maker's own label.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's possible the relationship between Oviatt's and Knox changed after Cavanagh-Dobbs Inc. bought out Knox and Dunlap in 1932. I'm not saying it did, as I don't have any information to that effect, but it could be a justification for change. The new Hat Corporation of America wouldn't terminate business in the depths of the Depression, but perhaps Oviatt's decided they could look elsewhere.

I was just saying that the details of the hat don't match any '40s hat I've seen from Hat Corporation of America. Even their "House Brand" hats kept the usual details.

Brad

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thank you very much for this information! You've inspired me to dig deeper.

Here's a Los Angeles Times ad from January 20, 1936. If the Oviatt fedora on eBay is indeed from the 1940s, then it can't be a Knox, period. All I can say for sure about the hat is that it's post-1934, since "Oviatt's" opened its Beverly Hills store in '34.

pdf60.jpg

Last edited:
What type of Jeep parts? New, used or a specialty, like C-J parts?
I have had a few CJ's & 1 Wrangler. I still have a 1970 Kaiser CJ5. All the parts were used or take-off's as I upgraded the OEM ones.
This is what it looks like now...
CJ5a.jpg

This is what I want it to look like when done...
e5_12.jpg

Wish I hadn't sold this one...
Jeep2.jpg

Last edited:

Justin B

One Too Many
Dig the CJ, but that was a clean looking TJ. I've got a '98 that I just got done throwing some 31's and a 2" lift on. Not going wild with it as it's my DD, but maaaaan...gotta have me a Jeep.

Dig the CJ, but that was a clean looking TJ. I've got a '98 that I just got done throwing some 31's and a 2" lift on. Not going wild with it as it's my DD, but maaaaan...gotta have me a Jeep.
Yep that was my DD as well = 2000 TJ with 2" suspension lift, 1.5" body lift, 31's, & lots of other mods. Handled highways well as well as offroad but still "civilized"

TipTop

Practically Family
Cheap Hats, Even Cheaper

Outback is offering 25% off their sale-price Gold 100% fur felt hats (and others). I bought a Bathhurst in dark brown last month that I use for dog walking in snow etc. and it is perfectly adequate Chinese craftsmanship. Only issue is that it'll probably come with one side of the brim slightly flattened, despite rather clever box design (I read several reviews stating this on the Sierra Trading Post site). Nothing a little steam can't cure (and when i complained to the Outback store, they gave me another 50% off!).

PS: My 7 3/8 is a bit large on my 7 3/8 long oval head, so if they are out of your size, you may consider downsizing.
http://www.outbackoutlet.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=28

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Churchill LTD Vicuna Open Road with Custom-fitted Case, and Memories

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16071406018...l2649&_trksid=p3984.m1532.l2649#ht_2289wt_866

Did anyone else notice this glorious piece come and go on Jan 17? Talk about rare; I loved it, but just don't care for that LBJ-down-on-the-Perdinales-look. I Googled the name in the sweat band and learned he was an oil man and engineer from Texas A&M, class of 1936.

The same vendor had a great Stetson Nutria (same source) that I bid too late on (did someone here get it?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16071401761...WX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1532.l2649#ht_2189wt_866

Back in the 70s, I stopped at a nice estate auction in Central NY and bought--for about $10 I think-- a beautiful Mark Cross pigskin, with wonderful brasses, fitted case. I opened it up and out came a Brooks Bros. beaver top hat in mint condition...and my size! Because of the size and style, I kept it around as a closet shelf curiosity for years and finally put it on ePrey and got a couple hundred for it--but I waited to do so until I learned that the owner had died. Coincidentally, he was the law partner of a friend's father in very prominent Syracuse, NY firm. I picked all this up from the name on the "Lt JG" US Navy engraved calling card inside the case.

I fantasized about a young Naval officer, proudly striding from Brooks over to Fifth Avenue to Mark Cross and trading in his Brooks cardboard hat box for a proper pigskin model, before about-facing and heading back down to Grand Central to catch the 20th Century Ltd train back home. And, I wondered if he had worn it to a presidential inaugural (his law partner was a future NYS Republican Chairman) and the families and firm were heavily involved for generations.

Oh well, if these things could only talk...

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Hi Ray,

Yes, and yes.

Wow Alan, small world! I bid manually rather than by auto-sniping and it just got away...congrats. Do you have the Nutria yet? Is it as nice as we thought? If you don't intend to wear it, I would still be interested; I'm looking for a light-colored "domed" shaped hat to add a couple of dots to, and that looks like an ideal candidate. Thanks for speaking up. And now you know something about the owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran