Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just won this Gramercy newsboy cap for a song.

Gramercy.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Plymouth Panama, 450~500 wpsi, 2 1/2 in brim

For Alanfgag, Rabbit, bowlerman, DJH, and Joshbru3 - these are pics right out of the box. Alanfgag, you were correct, btw. Really fast delivery all the way from KC, MO to the outskirts of Maryville, TN, in 2 days flat. I may do some careful work on lightly restoring some shape to the brim, where on the sides it does not lay even, probably not stored properly over the years. Also, brim wants to turn up all around, and I need the front snapped down. However, I am NOT going to mess with this hat very much, really nice hat. Well worth what I paid, but not a windfall treasure.

I measured 19x24 on the sides of the crown and 22x23 on the brim, so this hat would be 450 wpsi at a minimum, though a dealer could arguably claim 500 wpsi. The brim is 2 1/2 in wide; maybe I would prefer 2 5/8 or 2 3/4, but no need to have it re-blocked for that, 2 1/2 is fine with me. The back-weave is nice, but I notice that it is just a tiny bit wavy in a couple of spots, something that has been criticized on this forum when seen on current panamas. I will get some better close-ups later, after I've reshaped it.

Picture121.jpg

Picture124.jpg

I tried 4 times and just could not get the webcam to focus well enough to see the weave, which is very nice, consistent, straight. The original body was folded and there is an optimo line front to back.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for sharing, barrowjh. As you said, not quite the treasure, but well worth the money. I wouldn't worry about the slightly wavy brim. Others may disagree - me, I love wavy brims on Montecristis the way I love rumpled linen suits. They look more real to me. If the rest of the outfit is near to perfection there should be at least some carelessness to it. lol

Panama looks great John. In the heat of the summer, a beautiful panama of this quality will be much more versatile and get worn more often than an heirloom. Enjoy it!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The back-weave is nice, but I notice that it is just a tiny bit wavy in a couple of spots, something that has been criticized on this forum when seen on current panamas. I will get some better close-ups later, after I've reshaped it.

oops, you were referring to the back weave. My bad.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Indeed thanks, John - certainly a good deal and a nice looking hat.

I'm with Rabbit, a somewhat disheveled look to a summer hat is by no means a bad thing. Actually, come to think of it, I tend to have that look all the time :D:D

barrowjh

One Too Many
Alanfgag, you are again spot on. I have an extremely nice 900~1000 wpsi from Art that gets worn maybe 2 or 3 times a year. If the forecast includes thunderstorms, or if it is windy, too much risk. I'm trying to replace a 'staple' 400 wpsi vintage that I wear often, but it is a 7 1/4 and even with some padding behind the sweat it just isn't right, so this hat may take that niche nicely.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Mario and great price. Look forward to seeing more when you receive it. It appears similar to the one I got recently of unknown vintage. It has a vinyl sweat.

Yes, I remembered your Gramercy cap immediately when I found this listing. Seems to be from the same time as yours as the construction appears to be virtually identical, only this one seems to made from linen.

Others may disagree - me, I love wavy brims on Montecristis the way I love rumpled linen suits. They look more real to me...

I agree with you. I also admire a less than perfect crease in an old felt hat... how it can display qualities of felt that are so elusive in modern hats.

I won this Hückel Weilheim, size 58cm. It's very similar to the one Manfred picked up recently. Probably mid to late 1950s and appears to be in very good condition.

6823970107_32512b3afc_o.jpg

6823971439_62aa2bed51_o.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic