Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

howardeye

Practically Family
I am a reject myself so a hat reject would fit me fine. If a hat of mine doesn't look well worn, it would soon look that way with me wearing it. My wife has a different view of what I wear!

fashion frank

One Too Many
Your right on the money !

Well you know what to do....wait until the last few moments and make a bid for about $8.00 more than what is there now, last seconds and hit the confirm a bid deal, as long as it stays as low as it is now. I figure for myself if that hat fit me and was selling for less than a total of say, $50.00 how could I be going wrong? Such a low price would give me room to have someone more professional that I will ever be, to do something to it, if it needs some emergency surgery done to it!

Love my hats ,you hit it right on the head !

I do the same exact thing , I wait till the last second to drop in a bid and never bid to high.

Sometimes a hat that I really like will get away from me , but the up side to that is, that when I do get a hat for a very low price I'm glad I didn't pay through the nose.

Also my head being 6 7/8 helps me in terms of bidding demand on a hat.

Most of my hats are fedoras and I'm thinking a whippet might be my first stab at a hat with a wider brim ,than a fedora , and any insight ,suggestions and where to start would be very helpfull.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290816775997?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

What I received:

whippet.jpg

I did pretty good. :)

Tom

howardeye

Practically Family
Beat me to the punch, Mike.

That looks like a Frankenstein's monster mash... a factory reject Playboy/Whippet... platypus is a perfect name.

I now see what you mean. I was at work on my work pc. It blocks me from seeing the pics below and all photobucket pics so I only saw the posting pic. It is not for me. Thanks for the helpful evaluation.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Awesome color on the Whippet !
I was watching that closely.

Jared,
Have Art make you one ! that borso is a beauty reverse taper & all...
Oh your going for the Black Cherry Lite, Right?

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Ok, I was watching this one from day one, waiting, watching, wondering. Relatively new seller, but also within an hours drive from me. So, $30 plus shipping if I wait, or $50 BIN. Hmmmm. Really like that hat. Haven't made those in a while. HMMMM. If somebody snipes me I'm gonna be bummed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shudde-Bros-Houston-LBJ-Style-Hat-/261129629955?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=NQ5mhYjyuJrHkiLXLKSbkCiNBDU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Finally asked the vendor a question, and lo and behold, he put his phone number in the reply! Who does that? Finally, just went ahead and hit the button 1 day early. $20 didn't seem that bad after a few days of still lusting after it. Called the vendor up and he turned out to be a very nice gentleman in his 80's, a retired rancher from out in the hill country who had moved to the City when he got tired of chasing cows. A genuine, 100% authentic cowboy. Had a very enjoyable chat with him. But back to the hat. He said that he had purchased this one and a 20x Steven L Stetson (which is now relisted, btw) in a closing sale at a dry goods store in Flatonia, TX but never wore it. The SLS was his "dress" hat and was worn a few times, but the Shudde was packed away and never worn (it had not come in an original box, unfortunately) Anyway, he ups'ed it to me in a brand new box (shipping was more than I paid, but he never mentioned it till after the fact) Who does that nowdays?

So, I got it last night, and this morning Ironed the brim flat and steamed the crown open (from the outside this time, Learned my lesson about steaming sweatbands) and took a couple of pics. It's not 100.000% like new, it had a couple of small storage marks and one tiny moth nibble, but it really didn't look to have ever been worn.

IMG-20121129-00289.jpg
IMG-20121129-00290.jpg

IMG-20121129-00291.jpg

IMG-20121129-00292.jpg

I called Neal Shudde up and talked to him about it for a while, he said that he would be glad to spruce it up and tell me whatever he could about it, as well as see if he had a correct vintage box in his collection next time I got out on that side of town (which may be next week). I said that I just wouldn't feel right having somebody else work on one of his dads hats.

So what think ye? A worthy entry into the brotherhood of the thin band?

James

-30-

A-List Customer
"Looks great, James! That story goes squarely in the "victories" column."
QUOTE: randooch.

Provenience is another reward for buying vintage.

Regards,
-30-

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Yes, I hated to part with that Whippet and was a little surprised it only went for $250.00 with 26 watching the auction. I'm glad a fellow lounger got it. Another lounger kept asking me questions on it but never jumped in...his loss your gain. Wear it in good health. I never wore it because I did not want to chance damaging it. I'be never seen a nicer one, including the one that sold for $605.00 two weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart