Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
More of an observation here from years of buying online and combing through thrift stores, but do people even bother to look up similar items to what they sell? I know people have discussed the crazy prices on some websites, but I find antique and thrift shops are now getting pricey with hats. I feel that some seller figures they have a fedora in size 7 1/2 and immediately wants to charge 100 bucks, they don't even bother to research brand and style. Perfect example was yesterday, I went to an antique shop and was delighted to see hats on the rack, I walk over and the seller was asking 75 dollars for a Adam fedora with a 1.5 inch brim, while I have bought from the same seller a Stetson that is much sought after for 50 bucks. Do these people just throw out a price and hope it sticks? Would love to read other thoughts

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I think that we Loungers for the most part are much more educated on the subject of our particular passion than are most. Even antique dealers, who you might expect to be more knowledgable, may be less expert in some areas of collectables than other areas. We may know that vintage Stetsons and vintage Adams are not equals in the world of hats, but those shop owners who are more interested in, say, mid-century industrial lighting and primitive folk art might know all prices or that stuff off the top of their head, but just look up vintage fedoras online and put prices on in a seemingly random fashion to us.
Just a thought.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I see what you mean but if i had a product in my store i think a cursory ebay search of asking prices and sell histories would be the first thing i would do

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and I actuall won an auction. Placed first bid for $19.99 on a Knox "wool felt" fedora a few days ago and nobody else bid.

f94da00fddda52e826582bd229277b2d.jpg

The seller said it was from her husband's hat collection that he is no longer interested in. Bash looks like she did it for the pic, as it appears to be backwards for a man. Oh, and I doubt it is wool felt, as it has the Knox version of the Cavanaugh edge.
Can't wait to get it.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, historyteach, I bet that shop owner manages to sell his vintage hats to somebody, overpriced, underpriced or randomly priced as they may be. Maybe that is all he cares about where hats are concerned.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Just watched a dirty, sweat stained Whippet with a sweatband resembling bacon sell for $267 and change. Went from under $100 to that in just the last few seconds. At this rate I'll never be able to feel good about buying one unless it's from a yard sale or other such stroke of cheap luck.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
My Knox arrived! That was fast. As suspected, not wool. :) Nice feeling felt.
It has a 1 7/8" brim, about 5" crown creased. Sweatband is wonderfully soft and supple, liner tip is covered with the oilcloth type protector. My guess is 40's. When tapatalk is working again I'll post pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic