Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

I'm 7 1/4 and there is not much quality out there right now ... pretty much none actually

frankly there very rarely is

now if you are 6 7/8 to 7 you have the pick of the litter at great prices

Right now there is an awesome Adam Fedora plus at least 4 more quality 7 1/4 hats, and not all homburgs. I run across them all the time on the Bay and in shops and at antique malls......(plus the ubiquitous 7, 7 1/8, and LOTS of 6 3/4)......
M

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Right now there is an awesome Adam Fedora plus at least 4 more quality 7 1/4 hats, and not all homburgs. I run across them all the time on the Bay and in shops and at antique malls......(plus the ubiquitous 7, 7 1/8, and LOTS of 6 3/4)......
M
you and I simply have a different definition of "quality" ... and that Adam is not all that interesting to me

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I guess so..........that Adam is really cool.....looks to be late 50's..........surprised you don't like it.......and perhaps I have lowered my standards because so little is available in my size..."quality" or otherwise...........to each their own.....
Best,
M
I feel for you bigger headed fellows ...indeed

I have tried limit my purchases of late to 40s or earlier ... or at least early 50s ... although I went against my own rule recently ... twice ... certain things I just cannot pass up

and I don't really like the ribbon on that Adam ... not my style

M
My wife is a 6 7/8 but alas I cannot for the life of me convince her to become a hat person. If she did I could live vicariously through her!

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I guess so..........that Adam is really cool.....looks to be late 50's..........surprised you don't like it.......and perhaps I have lowered my standards because so little is available in my size..."quality" or otherwise...........to each their own.....
Best,
M

If I were in your position, I'd practice reblocking hats to a bigger size. This is a really good option if you're not hellbent on keeping original sweatbands. I've reblocked a few 6 3/4's and 7's to size 7 1/4. It's odd but in my experience the brim width doesn't actually change very much, even when resizing from a 6 3/4 all the way up to a 7 1/4. I have a 6 3/4 Mallory on a block right now and somehow -- for some strange twilight zone reason -- the brim width didn't change! 2.125" before and after blocking.

Latin_vibes

New in Town
Hello Fellow Loungers,

This is my first post and let me say, it's nice to find a place online where people actually treat each other with respect and courtesy...that much I can say about men (and gals) who wear hats! I hope to continue learning from you all, as I have barely begun to wear hats. But once you're in, there's no going back!

Now to the subject...just recently acquired a Stetson Playboy on the bay. It was my size 7 1/8 in a light gray, which is exactly what was in order. Crown height approx. 5 1/2, brim 2 1/2. I will be getting it professionally cleaned soon, but for now I steamed it and gave it a front pinch center dent crease. Hope the images come out.

Regards,

Joel

4ad75715053d4d22d471d319c1de5bf5.jpg

c1056bb031f68bf192884aa3ea5dff36.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Hello Fellow Loungers,

This is my first post and let me say, it's nice to find a place online where people actually treat each other with respect and courtesy...that much I can say about men (and gals) who wear hats! I hope to continue learning from you all, as I have barely begun to wear hats. But once you're in, there's no going back!

Now to the subject...just recently acquired a Stetson Playboy on the bay. It was my size 7 1/8 in a light gray, which is exactly what was in order. Crown height approx. 5 1/2, brim 2 1/2. I will be getting it professionally cleaned soon, but for now I steamed it and gave it a front pinch center dent crease. Hope the images come out.

Regards,

Joel

One heck of an entrance! What a gorgeous Playboy! It's a style I've been looking at seriously for quite awhile, and it fits you perfectly. Welcome to the FL!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

looks great, my size too so very enviable. Welcome.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

Welcome Joel! I am still new here as well and let me assure you that this is one of the best group of folks around! They welcomed me wonderfully here, just as I'm sure they will for you! :) Hell of a way to enter my friend, that's a gorgeous hat!

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

Stellar acquisition! Welcome to the Lounge.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

welcome, and that hat is perfect. great one!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

That is a sweet heart! Welcome to the Fray. You jumped in with both feet.

If I were in your position, I'd practice reblocking hats to a bigger size. This is a really good option if you're not hellbent on keeping original sweatbands. I've reblocked a few 6 3/4's and 7's to size 7 1/4. It's odd but in my experience the brim width doesn't actually change very much, even when resizing from a 6 3/4 all the way up to a 7 1/4. I have a 6 3/4 Mallory on a block right now and somehow -- for some strange twilight zone reason -- the brim width didn't change! 2.125" before and after blocking.
I do that with hats that are in rough condition and the sweat needs replacing anyway......though I have not been able to use anything less than a 7 1/4.....
As for vintage hats in good condition I will not, NOT, destroy a good hat.......especially one from 50 or more years ago.
I do have many fine hats.....some of recent vintage like the Stetsonians.......I just get low seeing such awesome vintage lids out there (playboys, strats, OR's, whippets, Malory's, Brents, etc) and posted by others here ...............MANY in the smaller sizes that it gets depresing sometimes...but then it does make me appreciate the few I have very much more (and I do have some nice vintage lids)!!! This post was just brought on by the listing of a LOT of really nice hats on the bay plus a stash at a shop I know of.......ALL in the smaller sizes......
So......the "Rant".......I must say I have no clue where the 7 3/4 get ANY hats from........thank goodness I am not that size.......
Best to everyone here, you are all a good bunch
M

Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

Welcome the Lounge, an oasis of civility in an angry world.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Fellow Loungers,

Regards,

Joel

Way to get started Joel! Welcome to the lounge and great Playboy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner