Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hello Fellow Loungers,

This is my first post and let me say, it's nice to find a place online where people actually treat each other with respect and courtesy...that much I can say about men (and gals) who wear hats! I hope to continue learning from you all, as I have barely begun to wear hats. But once you're in, there's no going back!

Now to the subject...just recently acquired a Stetson Playboy on the bay. It was my size 7 1/8 in a light gray, which is exactly what was in order. Crown height approx. 5 1/2, brim 2 1/2. I will be getting it professionally cleaned soon, but for now I steamed it and gave it a front pinch center dent crease. Hope the images come out.

Regards,

Joel

4ad75715053d4d22d471d319c1de5bf5.jpg

c1056bb031f68bf192884aa3ea5dff36.jpg
beautiful hat
I'd love to see some shots of the inside when you get a second.
doesn't look like it needs any sort of cleaning from where I sit
nothing like a nice Playboy
very nice crease.

... and welcome home

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I do that with hats that are in rough condition and the sweat needs replacing anyway......though I have not been able to use anything less than a 7 1/4.....
As for vintage hats in good condition I will not, NOT, destroy a good hat.......especially one from 50 or more years ago.
I do have many fine hats.....some of recent vintage like the Stetsonians.......I just get low seeing such awesome vintage lids out there (playboys, strats, OR's, whippets, Malory's, Brents, etc) and posted by others here ...............MANY in the smaller sizes that it gets depresing sometimes...but then it does make me appreciate the few I have very much more (and I do have some nice vintage lids)!!! This post was just brought on by the listing of a LOT of really nice hats on the bay plus a stash at a shop I know of.......ALL in the smaller sizes......
So......the "Rant".......I must say I have no clue where the 7 3/4 get ANY hats from........thank goodness I am not that size.......
Best to everyone here, you are all a good bunch
M
I feel the same, towards larger hats. I've seen a few, and had some pass through my hands that were a 7 3/8 +. I can pull that over my eyes, haha. they are out there, and when the right one shows, you'll know.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hello Fellow Loungers,

This is my first post and let me say, it's nice to find a place online where people actually treat each other with respect and courtesy...that much I can say about men (and gals) who wear hats! I hope to continue learning from you all, as I have barely begun to wear hats. But once you're in, there's no going back!

Now to the subject...just recently acquired a Stetson Playboy on the bay. It was my size 7 1/8 in a light gray, which is exactly what was in order. Crown height approx. 5 1/2, brim 2 1/2. I will be getting it professionally cleaned soon, but for now I steamed it and gave it a front pinch center dent crease. Hope the images come out.

Regards,

Joel

4ad75715053d4d22d471d319c1de5bf5.jpg

]

Welcome to the Lounge, Joel. Great Playboy.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

This is my first post and let me say, it's nice to find a place online where people actually treat each other with respect and courtesy...that much I can say about men (and gals) who wear hats!

c1056bb031f68bf192884aa3ea5dff36.jpg

Welcome Joel. Super hat that looks great on you. When I first joined up it was the warm welcome and compliments on my hat that has now led to our home office being overrun with hat boxes and hats are scattered all around the house. This is a group of enablers so beware.

Welcome Joel. Super hat that looks great on you. When I first joined up it was the warm welcome and compliments on my hat that has now led to our home office being overrun with hat boxes and hats are scattered all around the house. This is a group of enablers so beware.
Plus one on the welcome..........Plus 1 Plus ...........on "the Enablers"!!!!!!!
M

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I do that with hats that are in rough condition and the sweat needs replacing anyway......though I have not been able to use anything less than a 7 1/4.....
As for vintage hats in good condition I will not, NOT, destroy a good hat.......especially one from 50 or more years ago.
I do have many fine hats.....some of recent vintage like the Stetsonians.......I just get low seeing such awesome vintage lids out there (playboys, strats, OR's, whippets, Malory's, Brents, etc) and posted by others here ...............MANY in the smaller sizes that it gets depresing sometimes...but then it does make me appreciate the few I have very much more (and I do have some nice vintage lids)!!! This post was just brought on by the listing of a LOT of really nice hats on the bay plus a stash at a shop I know of.......ALL in the smaller sizes......
So......the "Rant".......I must say I have no clue where the 7 3/4 get ANY hats from........thank goodness I am not that size.......
Best to everyone here, you are all a good bunch
M

Yeah, I feel you regarding the resizing (I prefer that term to "destruction") of a hat in good condition with a few strict exceptions. For example, if I am absolutely sure I will not be reselling a hat, I don't mind resizing it keeping all things original except the sweatband. For me, this applies only to a select type of hat -- just the must-have models that are found at ridiculously low prices (and I mean ridiculously low). For me, my Borsalino homburg fit into this category: it was a must-have for me, it should have sold for between two and three bills but I got it for fifty bucks, I was able to resize it and keep everything original except the sweatband, and I will not sell it.

Other than that, if a fixer-upper that's one or two sizes too small appears at a good price (one that isn't a manifested piece of history or has a torn sweat), I wouldn't think twice about resizing it.

Latin_vibes

New in Town
beautiful hat
I'd love to see some shots of the inside when you get a second.
doesn't look like it needs any sort of cleaning from where I sit
nothing like a nice Playboy
very nice crease.

... and welcome home

Hey moon,

Here are some shots of the inside. The felt is actually really clean, just a very small spot in the underside of brim, but doesn't really bother me. It does have a couple of really small moth bites, but I mean small enough you can't see from 2 feet. Some sanding would definitely fix it. The liner is in pretty rough shape and the sweatband has some minor cracking where the leather meets the stitching. It's ok to wear though.

Any info on the age of the hat is greatly appreciated. Interested in hearing your recommendation on the sweatband, replace or keep?
f5bfbe4231ae8c3a4500a416ed6fbbad.jpg
6fa97b692668af9363bd4bf103d40a8f.jpg
0c003c1369037d569f1f6962861dcf35.jpg
868d53e10c21ebd60575b68381351c79.jpg
6dcb1b78820e1defdf9a3398db2a0753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hey moon,

Here are some shots of the inside. The felt is actually really clean, just a very small spot in the underside of brim, but doesn't really bother me. It does have a couple of really small moth bites, but I mean small enough you can't see from 2 feet. Some sanding would definitely fix it. The liner is in pretty rough shape and the sweatband has some minor cracking where the leather meets the stitching. It's ok to wear though.

Any info on the age of the hat is greatly appreciated. Interested in hearing your recommendation on the sweatband, replace or keep?
f5bfbe4231ae8c3a4500a416ed6fbbad.jpg
6fa97b692668af9363bd4bf103d40a8f.jpg
0c003c1369037d569f1f6962861dcf35.jpg
868d53e10c21ebd60575b68381351c79.jpg
6dcb1b78820e1defdf9a3398db2a0753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice piece... you've creased it beautifully
Mid 50s is a safe guess based on what I see
... and the liner & sweat look just fine to me

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

+1 I think that sweat is sweet.
Yes, NICE sweat!!!! Carefully use a little Lexol conditioner on the sweat....that will help keep it in good condition.....IF you happen to drop a little on the hat....apply baking soda to the area (it will absorb the moisture and oil) let sit then brush off with a good hat brush.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
To anyone looking for a '50's mid-gray Stetson St. Regis in a coveted size, this one is now on sale for a very good price (112$):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-40s...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I contacted the shop a while back to ask what that weird ripple in the crown is and they sent me additional photos in the sunlight (don't have the photos anymore, unfortunately). The ripple looks like a very superficial little fold -- I think it could be steamed out easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner