Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
If you want good vintage grosgrain it’s just high dollar and that’s that.
Just a day before reading JLee’s post I bought 3 yards of 3/8 for a total cost of $15. so, Art’s better stock and more colors to choose from ain’t so bad after all.
I’m very glad the link was posted and saved Art’s store for future purchases.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
923CD07F-6B86-4BCA-9644-38D763BB10E9.jpeg
Late 50s/maybe early 60s Penny’s Marathon. Love it! $105. Not bad.
2 7/16 tanish/silverish bound brim.
4 9/16 crown. 1 3/4 bronze/brown grosgrain. Taupe/grey colored felt.
It all adds up to: Beautiful!
A favorite. And for the kind of hats I’ve been blessed to acquire lately, that says a lot.
Odd, to me, that it’s got a reedless sweat for such a late model hat.
3EB2CC48-23C8-4EAD-B706-0B18A0D6724C.jpeg

Got a 50s 2 3/4 brimmed Strat too, but it needs a little TLC. So far it’s looking good and I’ll post it later.
The felt on that one is fantastic!
But, back to the Marathon.
If I had the change to buy custom hats, one of them would end up looking just like this one. (Okay, the brim might be an eighth wider) :)

I usually don’t like feathers in the band, but this one, most likely, was added at the factory so it’ll stay; just this once.
7BA6D498-9866-4B68-82C9-D58DA7E47353.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yep, I've all but given up on Ebay. There is a super nice bowler at a great price on the bay but shipping and taxes double the BIN price. I know I won't win, but for now I'm not buying based on principle.

Nice ribbon! You made me take a look at the other offerings. But $10 shipping for 2 yards and $24 for 4 yards (at least to my area)? OUCH!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Excellent hats, Randall. You are racking up some great hats these days!

View attachment 220009 Late 50s/maybe early 60s Penny’s Marathon. Love it! $105. Not bad.
A favorite. And for the kind of hats I’ve been blessed to acquire lately, that says a lot.
View attachment 220006
Got a 50s 2 3/4 brimmed Strat too, but it needs a little TLC. So far it’s looking good and I’ll post it later.
If I had the change to buy custom hats, one of them would end up looking just like this one. (Okay, the brim might be an eighth wider) :)

I usually don’t like feathers in the band, but this one, most likely, was added at the factory so it’ll stay; just this once. View attachment 220007

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the shipping insanity on Ebay.

I sell a lot on Ebay and understand the policies, and although legal to gauge buyers on shipping, I find it immoral and will not bid or buy on such auctions.

I always offer free shipping because I understand that the new tax policy is a burden.

Yep, I've all but given up on Ebay. There is a super nice bowler at a great price on the bay but shipping and taxes double the BIN price. I know I won't win, but for now I'm not buying based on principle.

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
I sell a lot on Ebay and I always noticed how some of these sellers shoot themselves in the foot with high starting bids. Of course, either someone will bite or it will be listed for a long time, like some other hats that been on Ebay for months.

It is a nice hat, but I wouldn't bid on it at that starting bid. I have got nicer hats from Lounge members for much less.

View attachment 220009 Late 50s/maybe early 60s Penny’s Marathon. Love it! $105. Not bad.
View attachment 220006

I usually don’t like feathers in the band, but this one, most likely, was added at the factory so it’ll stay; just this once. View attachment 220007
Excellent Marathon... that silver binding makes it pop

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sell a lot on Ebay and I always noticed how some of these sellers shoot themselves in the foot with high starting bids. Of course, either someone will bite or it will be listed for a long time, like some other hats that been on Ebay for months.

It is a nice hat, but I wouldn't bid on it at that starting bid. I have got nicer hats from Lounge members for much less.
I've never seen a Whippet with a thin ribbon and brim binding... looks like an altered hybrid to me.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 220006

I love the look of hats from the post war? era when the brim binding was a different contrasting color than the crown ribbon. I have a Royal Stetson like that, and had Michael Gannon duplicate the treatment on my natural beaver custom fedora.

I think if Art is using an online calculator it is out of whack. I shipped items that weighed much more across the US for much less than he wanted for 6 small lengths of ribbon. I cancelled the order.

I contacted the seller, Art’s wife, and asked if she offered combined shipping, but I never heard back. Art had no problem dropping them in the box he’s putting together for me.

One small flat rate box is $7.20 and would hold a lot of ribbon.

If you want good vintage grosgrain it’s just high dollar and that’s that.
Just a day before reading JLee’s post I bought 3 yards of 3/8 for a total cost of $15. so, Art’s better stock and more colors to choose from ain’t so bad after all.
I’m very glad the link was posted and saved Art’s store for future purchases.
The statements were not about the price of the ribbon. It was the postal charges that seemed waaay out of whack.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Ebay's postage calculator is way off. Also now that they have enforced the tax rule it adds to the issue. Is the tax applied to the item and shipping cost? We have one of the highest taxes in this county, are they using local tax based on delivery address or state tax (which is also high). I was looking at a hat on the bay and figured an increase of almost 20% in tax and shipping. And excuse me but if I am buying a used item isn't it like buying at a garage/yard sale and why should I have to pay 9.25% sales tax.

Ebay's postage calculator is way off. Also now that they have enforced the tax rule it adds to the issue. Is the tax applied to the item and shipping cost? We have one of the highest taxes in this county, are they using local tax based on delivery address or state tax (which is also high). I was looking at a hat on the bay and figured an increase of almost 20% in tax and shipping. And excuse me but if I am buying a used item isn't it like buying at a garage/yard sale and why should I have to pay 9.25% sales tax.
Yes, that application of a sales tax on a used item confounds me. The tax in the state that the item is shipped to applies. I have most of my Ebay items shipped to a US border town and it is 8.something %. Etsy is now charging tax as well. I guess it was just a matter of time before the government clamped down on all that e commerce. Gov't not getting a cut of the action just had to stop at some point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112