Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino MGL Mirtillo, from Brent. I had only seen MGLs in brown and gray before
Screenshot_20221209-022513_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-022047_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-022047_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-022027_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-022014_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-022000_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-021945_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-021929_Chrome.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Caxton XXX Beaver Ten Wellington Western. This is my fourth Caxton, and I had no idea they also made Westerns. Found it on eBay for 95 dollars, so I didn't hesitate. It's my size, too! It has an OPS price tag of $10.00.
Ignacio will make it look like new.

I love that the seller says "I know it's vintage because it says $10 dollars on the inside, and nothing costs $10 anymore".
FB_IMG_1671413785276.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413788926.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413792871.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413796011.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413799000.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413802203.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413806899.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413810512.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413820311.jpg
FB_IMG_1671413828888.jpg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Most excellent new hats. You guys sure have keen eyes!

Caxton XXX Beaver Ten Wellington Western. This is my fourth Caxton, and I had no idea they also made Westerns. Found it on eBay for 95 dollars, so I didn't hesitate. It's my size, too! It has an OPS price tag of $10.00.
Ignacio will make it look like new.

I love that the seller says "I know it's vintage because it says $10 dollars on the inside, and nothing costs $10 anymore". View attachment 474079 View attachment 474080 View attachment 474081 View attachment 474082 View attachment 474083 View attachment 474084 View attachment 474085 View attachment 474086 View attachment 474087 View attachment 474088

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
My lord.... THIS has the be the most outlandish "he made it up out of his rear end" ebay auction description I have seen in years. See this picture below...

Here is what this goof says about the aluminum hat item:

Auction Title: "Vintage Unique Metal Top Hat Mens Fedora Handmade From Pot / Pan Folk Art Hobo"

"Vintage & crazy Unique wearable Metal Top Hat /Men’s or unisex Fedora. This appears totally Handmade & hand hammered out from an “ Elton” Pot / Pan or metal bowl. Very cool Folk / Hobo tramp art piece! There is a hard to read inscription on the side- looks like the owners name “Pete M*******” maybe? It does fit my head as an average sized male (I’m modeling it in the pics). But, obviously no size on it, so I will take measurements & you can examine pics. It’s approximately 8.25” x 6”. Looks to have once had a felt type band around the inside for more comfort or better fit. Buyer may also put something inside for better fit. Shows this WAS WORN at one time! A great prop/ costume /or conversation piece! One of a kind- No others like it on eBay. See/ enlarge all photos. Photos of the actual item you’re getting, not a stock photo."...

WOWOWOWOWWOW... there isn't a SINGLE thing true about that wild, fantastic, fantasy description.

What this doofus actually has is an aluminum trombone mute made by the Elton music company for musicians to use to quiet their instrument during songs where the sound needs to be muted or muffled. It is not "one of a kind." It was never "worn as a hat." It was not "hand hammered from a pot." It is not "hobo art." There isn't a single thing true in this guys wild description except that the item is made of metal.
s-l1600.jpg

This guy is a serious writer of fake claims.

My lord.... THIS has the be the most outlandish "he made it up out of his rear end" ebay auction description I have seen in years. See this picture below...

Auction Title: "Vintage Unique Metal Top Hat Mens Fedora Handmade From Pot / Pan Folk Art Hobo"

"Vintage & crazy Unique wearable Metal Top Hat /Men’s or unisex Fedora. This appears totally Handmade & hand hammered out from an “ Elton” Pot / Pan or metal bowl. Very cool Folk / Hobo tramp art piece! There is a hard to read inscription on the side- looks like the owners name “Pete M*******” maybe? It does fit my head as an average sized male (I’m modeling it in the pics). But, obviously no size on it, so I will take measurements & you can examine pics. It’s approximately 8.25” x 6”. Looks to have once had a felt type band around the inside for more comfort or better fit. Buyer may also put something inside for better fit. Shows this WAS WORN at one time! A great prop/ costume /or conversation piece! One of a kind- No others like it on eBay. See/ enlarge all photos. Photos of the actual item you’re getting, not a stock photo."...

WOWOWOWOWWOW... there isn't a SINGLE thing true about that wild, fantastic, fantasy description.

What this doofus actually has is an aluminum trombone mute made by the Elton music company for musicians to use to quiet their instrument during songs where the sound needs to be muted or muffled. It is not "one of a kind." It was never "worn as a hat." It was not "hand hammered from a pot." It is not "hobo art." There isn't a single thing true in this guys wild description except that the item is made of metal.
View attachment 474885

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Yeah, that's the ticket!

View attachment 474885
Here's another one, but not on Ebay... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-elton-aluminum-tin-trumpet-1882110628

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 474885
T-shirt says it all.

View attachment 474885

He does wear it well. I wonder how he would describe a spittoon that fit his head?
Reminds me of something….. I can’t quite put my finger on….

8EA972F2-9499-48BF-8F7B-DC975B41BEED.jpeg

What I want to know.....was it/is it part of "dads collection" and how do they compare the feel/quality of the metal......perhaps to a Stetson Twenty or a 5x at least!

For extra value: can "dad" re-crease it for the buyer?

EDIT: The more I think about this.....I run across these horn mutes every now and again.....next one I see....I will buy and resell/market as a VERY rare Whippet/Open Road mould, once owned by President Truman AND Eisenhower possibly worn by Lincoln while inspecting the Washington defences during the war!

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I admit my ignorance of such things up front, so please don't think I'm trying to poke at anyone - are the bell ends of trumpets and trombones not round? How does an oval mute work? All I've ever seen look more like a broad round funnel with a covered top, if that makes sense. Or for a different crowd, the snow shield on a truck's air horns. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ