Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

SpiderJohn

New in Town
Looks like that Stetson is doing a little better today than it was yesterday!
Thanks for looking @MikeinRome.
Yes, it's currently @ $520 (reserve met), and about 6 days left on the auction.

Questions for the experts here...
-the inner liner is plastic covered, the size tag is square, the hatband is thin and the box is circular (non-suitcase) with the leather strap...all pointing to 1960's + (right?)
-the inner liner is muted goldish and not colored logo, and the sweatband is the older style (with what appear to be stars...not really sure what I'm looking for though)...pointing to 1950's -

Did Stetson mix & match some of these parts during the One Hundred's lifespan?
(going to repost this in another spot on the forum to see if anyone has answers)

...you guys/gals are starting to get me interested in hat collecting.
This is not good...
my wife tolerates my audiophile equipment / vinyl collecting only because she likes music.
Not sure I can bring another obsession into the house.

MikeinRome

Practically Family

-the inner liner is plastic covered, the size tag is square, the hatband is thin and the box is circular (non-suitcase) with the leather strap...all pointing to 1960's + (right?)
-the inner liner is muted goldish and not colored logo, and the sweatband is the older style (with what appear to be stars...not really sure what I'm looking for though)...pointing to 1950's -

(going to repost this in another spot on the forum to see if anyone has answers)

This is not good...
my wife tolerates my audiophile equipment / vinyl collecting only because she likes music.
I think the short answer is that the liner and sweatband are leftover from the 50's or the style is. Even though the sweatband or liner might have stars in the Stetson logo, that's a red herring or false clue to dating it. I don't think very many One Hundreds were made until after the date when stars stopped being used and were replaced by the maple leaf, which happened about 1952. You have a 60's hat. That's my opinion, anyway. Your black rectangular size tag is never found on 50's hats, or at least I've never seen a hat with a black tag that convinced me it was 50's. The type tag that came before it continued into the early 60's at least. There are people on the Lounge who know a lot more than I do.

Last edited:

Just Daniel

One Too Many
We would have to look harder, but I seem to remember Flagships selling for around this price and sometimes more.

I don’t remember seeing this color - that is really something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2955169720...can0sdqtpg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

$450 is pricey for me, but you know how big of sucker I am for dove gray!
My 3rd Flagship, however, this one is the right color and near mint, or close enough I should say!
I put in a $400 offer but knew someone else would snatch up this rare mid 40s beauty so couldn’t stand waiting any longer went ahead and punched the BIN.
Please somebody, tell me me I did the right thing! :)
I’ve seen these go higher and not be as interesting a color, so maybe I shouldn’t fret too much.

“Flagship Bowler” Never seen one of those….

View attachment 487619

Last edited:

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Stetson started using the roundel logo in 1930 (from the trademark application). It started with Paris, London, etc written around the circle. Some time before the 1940s the city names changed to squiggly lines, and sometime in the 40s these squiggly lines disappeared. A lot depends on the model of the hat as the sweatbands were made in batches and not used at the same rate.

The star / maple leaf change is also a flexible dating marker. The trademark information says Stetson used the logo with a maple leaf in the 40s. The stars generally held on to the early 50s, probably ’52. Individual hats can vary.

Plastic probably showed up in ‘52. For about four years before that Stetson used an oilskin liner. Other brands used the oilskin liner earlier, I have seen it in WWII officers’ caps.

The size tags also changed with time, that square tag is generally associated with the late 50s, early 60s.

And all during this time each one of those items was mixed and matched until it ran out. There was a lot of overlap.

The best dating indicators are date stamps on the sweat but they are super rare. Stamps or tags from the OPA, WPA, and OPS are also good time markers.

Start wearing one hat and you will be shocked by how much you like it.

I started with one 50s Royal DeLuxe Stetson I bought at a flea market, then once I started reading about Stetsons and found one from 30s I was in big trouble…

This is not good...

Last edited:

SpiderJohn

New in Town
Stetson started using the roundel logo in 1930 (from the trademark application). It started with Paris, London, etc written around the circle. Some time before the 1940s the city names changed to squiggly lines, and sometime in the 40s these squiggly lines disappeared. A lot depends on the model of the hat as the sweatbands were made in batches and not used at the same rate.

The star / maple leaf change is also a flexible dating marker. The trademark information says Stetson used the logo with a maple leaf in the 40s. The stars generally held on to the early 50s, probably ’52. Individual hats can vary.

Plastic probably showed up in ‘52. For about four years before that Stetson used an oilskin liner. Other brands used the oilskin liner earlier, I have seen it in WWII officers’ caps.

The size tags also changed with time, that square tag is generally associated with the late 50s, early 60s.

And all during this time each one of those items was mixed and matched until it ran out. There is a lot of overlap.

The best dating indicators are date stamps on the sweat but they are super rare. Stamps or tags from the OPA, WPA, and OPS are also good time markers.

Start wearing one hat and you will be shocked by how much you like it.

I started with one 50s Royal DeLuxe Stetson I bought at a flea market, then once I started reading about Stetsons and found one from 30s I was in big trouble…
WOW!
That is some great information @Just Daniel
Thanks so much.

So, you're telling me it's really difficult to peg when Stetson produced this hat.
They used parts with these dating clues for 20+ years between the 1940's - 1960's, and since Stetson introduced the 100 in 1952, mine is 1950's-1960's.

Well...even if it's the later date, I gotta' admit...for 60 years old it's good looking and has a really nice feel to the touch.
If it fit me, I might have had to reconsider selling, (like most pilots, I have a big head:)).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2955169720...can0sdqtpg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

$450 is pricey for me, but you know how big of sucker I am for dove gray!
My 3rd Flagship, however, this one is the right color and near mint, or close enough I should say!
I put in a $400 offer but knew someone else would snatch up this rare mid 40s beauty so couldn’t stand waiting any longer went ahead and punched the BIN.
I’ve seen these go higher and not be as interesting a color, so maybe I shouldn’t fret too much.

“Flagship Bowler” Never seen one of those….

View attachment 487619
Congratulations Randall. Looking forward to seeing it when you get it.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
See below:

I went through all the Stetson ads I could find posted here on. The Lounge, and the earliest reference I could find to a $100 price point was from 1951, there is also one from ‘52. An earlier ‘48 ad for Stetsons lists them up to $90, and a ‘50 ad that makes no mention of 100s.

Some of the ads I cut and pasted here to the thread, back at note #294.

Based on that research, I am pretty confident the Stetson 100 dates to 1951 at the earliest. We can’t prove there weren’t any (“the lack of evidence is not evidence of lacking”) but the lack of advertising evidence counts as something.

Maybe we’ll find more information or someone has an ad image stored away? It would be cool to find out more!

Daniel

I think the short answer is that the liner and sweatband are leftover from the 50's or the style is. Even though the sweatband or liner might have stars in the Stetson logo, that's a red herring or false clue to dating it. I don't think very many One Hundreds were made until after the date when stars stopped being used and were replaced by the maple leaf, which happened about 1952. You have a 60's hat. That's my opinion, anyway. Your black rectangular size tag is never found on 50's hats, or at least I've never seen a hat with a black tag that convinced me it was 50's. The type tag that came before it continued into the early 60's at least. There are people on the Lounge who know a lot more than I do.

SpiderJohn

New in Town
With that size tag, your hat has never seen the 50’s…period…mid-60’s or newer…unles it was refurbished at some point it‘s life….
Thank you (and others) for all your help in determining approx. production date.
Regardless, it's a nice vintage One Hundred, and I hope the winner enjoys it.
-Cheers!

Yamahana

Practically Family

$450 is pricey for me, but you know how big of sucker I am
I’ve seen these go higher and not be as interesting a color, so maybe I shouldn’t fret too much

9B9323D2-23AB-4090-8FB7-94641A404F89.jpeg
Well I think you paid exactly $110 too much for this Stetson Flagship. :DI’m willing to buy this Knox from you for $120 so you can use it towards the Flagship.
I’m just trying to be helpful :)

Nate98

New in Town
Any ideas about this hat on Poshmark? The seller doesn't know much but believes it is from early 1980s and got it from a sell of a collection of hats.

1675885979908.png
1675885994612.png
1675886067901.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko