Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Thanks for looking @MikeinRome.
Yes, it's currently @ $520 (reserve met), and about 6 days left on the auction.

Questions for the experts here...
-the inner liner is plastic covered, the size tag is square, the hatband is thin and the box is circular (non-suitcase) with the leather strap...all pointing to 1960's + (right?)
-the inner liner is muted goldish and not colored logo, and the sweatband is the older style (with what appear to be stars...not really sure what I'm looking for though)...pointing to 1950's -

Did Stetson mix & match some of these parts during the One Hundred's lifespan?
(going to repost this in another spot on the forum to see if anyone has answers)

...you guys/gals are starting to get me interested in hat collecting.
This is not good...
my wife tolerates my audiophile equipment / vinyl collecting only because she likes music.
Not sure I can bring another obsession into the house.
Yes, Stetson used some older stock in liners and sweatbands thru the 50s and into the 60s for their 100s.

Thanks for looking @MikeinRome.
Yes, it's currently @ $520 (reserve met), and about 6 days left on the auction.

Questions for the experts here...
-the inner liner is plastic covered, the size tag is square, the hatband is thin and the box is circular (non-suitcase) with the leather strap...all pointing to 1960's + (right?)
-the inner liner is muted goldish and not colored logo, and the sweatband is the older style (with what appear to be stars...not really sure what I'm looking for though)...pointing to 1950's -

Did Stetson mix & match some of these parts during the One Hundred's lifespan?
(going to repost this in another spot on the forum to see if anyone has answers)

...you guys/gals are starting to get me interested in hat collecting.
This is not good...
my wife tolerates my audiophile equipment / vinyl collecting only because she likes music.
Not sure I can bring another obsession into the house.
Shudde Bros. did renovations for Stetson Hats and part swapping appears to have been fair game. I’ve owned a couple, indicated by a stamp RENSH on the inside of the sweatband. Use the era of the latest part to gauge the age.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
We would have to look harder, but I seem to remember Flagships selling for around this price and sometimes more.

I don’t remember seeing this color - that is really something.
I’ve not seen one this color either, but it’s better to hear that you haven’t.
Considering the color and Flagships tendency to go up in value, by the time I’m ready to sell, it should be able to make me a decent profit even though I got a bit spendy.
I’ll certainly enjoy wearing it some in the meantime.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Well I think you paid exactly $110 too much for this Stetson Flagship. :DI’m willing to buy this Knox from you for $120 so you can use it towards the Flagship.
I’m just trying to be helpful :)
Thanks for lookin out, Yamanaha!
Just when you think there’s hardly any decent folk around.
Wait. Hmmm. Heard of fuzzy math, but I think this here is more like completely distorted math!
:)

Shudde Bros. did renovations for Stetson Hats and part swapping appears to have been fair game. I’ve owned a couple, indicated by a stamp RENSH on the inside of the sweatband. Use the era of the latest part to gauge the age.
I have one also. It stands to reason that Shudde Bros wouldn’t go thru Stetson parts
in their stock as fast as Stetson would on the assembly line.

Last edited:

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I picked this up today, it appears that the person just went off the label. Unfortunately it isn't my size but I think I can flip it and make a little.
Screenshot_20230208-174415_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230208-174443_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230208-174536_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230208-174700_eBay.jpg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Can’t tell from the pic but if it has a hole punch in the sweat back near the stitch then it is a factory second from one of the outlet stores regardless of what the box is. You can buy box s there too. They sell them only as fedora size &western size when you ask/buy one. Beware of sellers who don’t show clear pics of that punch area or who list hats as displays or experimental models.
I don't see any punches near the size tag. The box doesn't match the hat at all, it doesn't appear to be a stratoliner.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I didn't really realize, until I did a little more poking around here, that Stetson even made the Excellent Quality Whippet, which I think this hat might be. Now I really wish it was my size.

RBH

Bartender
Any ideas about this hat on Poshmark? The seller doesn't know much but believes it is from early 1980s and got it from a sell of a collection of hats.

View attachment 487895 View attachment 487896 View attachment 487897

It looks the be the eary verison on Stetson Moose River hat sold bt LL Bean.
I have one but it went under another name in the 80's.
I cant think of it at the moment.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/500...=A&SN3=MobilePASB_off&SS3=A&noaa_region=south

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I didn’t see the listing so don’t know the seller‘s description. From the seller’s one pic it is impossible to see the area where the hole punch would be. That area is cloudy. A single hole punch would be in the area as marked, one side or another.

View attachment 488058

with the filters I have I can’t bring it out any further but I see what could be a hole punch here:

View attachment 488057
I do appreciate you looking out, and I hope that's not the case. In the picture of the size tag I don't see any punches though and the factory seconds I have seen are pretty obviously punched when looked at from that angle. We will see in about a week though, fingers crossed that its a good one.

I do appreciate you looking out, and I hope that's not the case. In the picture of the size tag I don't see any punches though and the factory seconds I have seen are pretty obviously punched when looked at from that angle. We will see in about a week though, fingers crossed that its a good one.

Even so, a factory second doesn't mean reject. They sell overstock returns and the like, too. I have a few I've picked up at the Garland Outlet that are just fine, including one Excellent Strat who's flaw is barely noticeable.

Even so, a factory second doesn't mean reject. They sell overstock returns and the like, too. I have a few I've picked up at the Garland Outlet that are just fine, including one Excellent Strat who's flaw is barely noticeable.
Agreed here. I’m assuming you purchased this as either used… or not as new list pricing. In that case I wouldn’t be too Concerned about factory reject unless the defect was something that made the hat unwearable (I guess in your case… size did that ;)). IMHO if we are talking about a modern hat… Actual wear would usually diminish value more so than a factory reject stamp.

RBH

Bartender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB