Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

It's been against eBay policy to take a listing down because somebody made a behind the scenes deal. The seller could presumably be reported.

But this is exactly what I mean. eBay is a wreck because the hats on eBay often get listed on other sites, then taken down when sold on the competing site. I've had bids in on things that were cancelled and then the item turns up here in somebody else's posession. It's maddening and has made collecting and visiting this site considerably less enjoyable.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It's been against eBay policy to take a listing down because somebody made a behind the scenes deal. The seller could presumably be reported.

But this is exactly what I mean. eBay is a wreck because the hats on eBay often get listed on other sites, then taken down when sold on the competing site. I've had bids in on things that were cancelled and then the item turns up here in somebody else's posession. It's maddening and has made collecting and visiting this site considerably less enjoyable.
If there had been a bid neither the seller nor I would have taken the listing down, Jim. The hat had been up for two days, and no one had bid on it.

I don’t believe that ending an auction early because you receive an offer via message that you want to accept is a violation of eBay rules. It might have been against the rules in the past, but that’s not how I read the rules now. If there is a bid on the item that’s different, but aside from having to pay the fee that would have occurred if the action had played out, I don’t think there is a a “rule” violation. I get being disappointed, but as long as it is within the rules?

I don’t see it any different than adding a buy it now option to a listing that hasn’t received any bids yet. eBay allows for this as long as it’s not at the end hours of the auction and no bids have been placed. Sometimes I’ll make an early bid on an item just to freeze it so the seller can’t change the format etc. later.

I don’t like the cross-listing on other sites. I’ve “won” hats only to be told days later that I would get a refund as the item sold elsewhere. This upsets me, but I’ve only experienced it on the “other” sites as eBay charges sellers the full fee and it impacts your seller’s status which can causes issues with all your future sales.

The sniping bots are a gripe of mine, but they are allowed so….? There’s no doubt that vintage hat prices are going up and availability is going down. It’s not ideal, but then neither is being a size 7 ⅝ to 7 ¾. Those with smaller hat sizes are starting understand my pain: few offerings and very expensive when you do find them. :(

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I don’t believe that ending an auction early because you receive an offer via message that you want to accept is a violation of eBay rules. It might have been against the rules in the past, but that’s not how I read the rules now. If there is a bid on the item that’s different, but aside from having to pay the fee that would have occurred if the action had played out, I don’t think there is a a “rule” violation. I get being disappointed, but as long as it is within the rules?

I don’t see it any different than adding a buy it now option to a listing that hasn’t received any bids yet. eBay allows for this as long as it’s not at the end hours of the auction and no bids have been placed. Sometimes I’ll make an early bid on an item just to freeze it so the seller can’t change the format etc. later.

I don’t like the cross-listing on other sites. I’ve “won” hats only to be told days later that I would get a refund as the item sold elsewhere. This upsets me, but I’ve only experienced it on the “other” sites as eBay charges sellers the full fee and it impacts your seller’s status which can causes issues with all your future sales.

The sniping bots are a gripe of mine, but they are allowed so….? There’s no doubt that vintage hat prices are going up and availability is going down. It’s not ideal, but then neither is being a size 7 ⅝ to 7 ¾. Those with smaller hat sizes are starting understand my pain: few offerings and very expensive when you do find them. :(
Thanks, Brent! I wish eBay would have a rule I saw on another site. If there is a bid less than one minute before the end of the auction, you have another minute to respond. That should take care of bots.

It is also similar to auction listings that have Make an Offer option. Had times where I have made and had accepted offers both above and below the opening bid amount. Obviously these are occasions where there are no live bids on the item yet.

It is also similar to auction listings that have Make an Offer option. Had times where I have made and had accepted offers both above and below the opening bid amount. Obviously these are occasions where there are no live bids on the item yet.

Yes.
I believe the buy it now option disappears once there is a bid that is with 30% (not sure in the percentage) of the buy it now price. For exampl, you’ll not see a bid of $200 with a buy it now option of $210. The make an offer option disappears as soon as any bid for any amount is made.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I bought this Tatton Baird tonight. The seller says the crown felt isn't rough, and is stiff, but knows nothing about hats. There are no tags or writing under or on the sweatband, and can't tell if it is beaver, rabbit, or wool. She let me have it for 200, and is my size, so I took a chance.
I know that Ken likes this brand. What do you guys think?
Screenshot_20230813_205046.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_205104.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_205027.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_205011.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_204856.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_204920.jpg
Screenshot_20230813_204849.jpg

I bought this Tatton Baird tonight. The seller says the crown felt isn't rough, and is stiff, but knows nothing about hats. There are no tags or writing under or on the sweatband, and can't tell if it is beaver, rabbit, or wool. She let me have it for 200, and is my size, so I took a chance.
I know that Ken likes this brand. What do you guys think? View attachment 539868 View attachment 539867 View attachment 539870 View attachment 539871 View attachment 539873 View attachment 539872 View attachment 539874

I was going to send you a link to that hat. I’m glad you got it and I’ll be curious to read your review after you receive it.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Not to me.
I visited his shop in Springville, Utah a few years ago and all he had was fur felt and none of it was just rabbit either. For his prices I really don’t think he makes anything from wool.
He says in his website you can have a hat made in wool, rabbit, or beaver. I hope mine's beaver!
I looked up the Tatton Baird thread in the Lounge, and read about your visit before I bought it. You said they were nice, but overpriced... I hope mine is worth the 200 I paid for it, and I think it will be, if it isn't wool!

He says in his website you can have a hat made in wool, rabbit, or beaver. I hope mine's beaver!
I looked up the Tatton Baird thread in the Lounge, and read about your visit before I bought it. You said they were nice, but overpriced... I hope mine is worth the 200 I paid for it, and I think it will be, if it isn't wool!

I’m surprised that he offers them in wool…or even rabbit. The hats he had on display were all fur felt.
Fingers crossed that it’s beaver.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Your “buy it now” example is spot on.

I don’t like the cross-listing on other sites. I’ve “won” hats only to be told days later that I would get a refund as the item sold elsewhere. This upsets me, but I’ve only experienced it on th“other” sites as eBay charges sellers the full fee and it impact seller’s status which can causes issues with all your future sales.

T

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I do love that color, Joe.

Threw out a $25 shipped offer to take a flyer on this old distressed Bailey of California. It arrived today and I am quite taken with its color. Here are the eBay pics. Coming soon to Post New Hats when I get it somewhat cleaned up.

View attachment 539988 View attachment 539989 View attachment 539990 View attachment 539991 View attachment 539992 View attachment 539993 View attachment 539994 View attachment 539995 View attachment 539996 View attachment 539997

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy