Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I was amazed that the pair of Borsalinos didn't go any higher. I e-mailed the Seller, and the actual circumference measurements wound up being comparable to a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8, respectively. I told this to the Seller, but I don't believe that the auction info was ever changed.

Cheers,
JtL

toobacat

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
I was amazed that the pair of Borsalinos didn't go any higher. I e-mailed the Seller, and the actual circumference measurements wound up being comparable to a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8, respectively. I told this to the Seller, but I don't believe that the auction info was ever changed.

Cheers,
JtL

I told her the same thing.

RPeers

One of the Regulars
I too was watching both the whippet and the borsalinos but alas my $50 cap my wife has imposed was passed well I can always dream...

I think your wife has the right approach to this, RPeers. I know for a fact that a hat that might sell for a couple hundred or more in one auction has a comparable number that will fetch less than that $50 limit in another. You get only good deals when you vow to get only good deals. You just need to be patient and always willing to walk away.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Stoney, Bradford and Stevens were short lived marques. It is my understanding (And I hope a better historian will either verify or correct) that for a while, Resistol became Bradford and Stetson became Stevens. The details didn't really register in my memory.

At any rate, I have one Bradford Double X. Most 2X's were wool, but this one is pretty good fur felt. It easilly blocked into a Federation look-alike. By the way, I was one of the other bidders on the one you got. Here's mine.

P1040173BradfordGlyco-TiteProcessDo.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
Sorry to steal that one from you J.T. The way e-Bay disguises bidder names these days it's impossible to tell who you are bidding against. [huh]

Thanks for the info regarding Bradford and Stevens. I have three Stevens hats, one is an excellent lid, one of my favorite hats, the other two are OK but nothing special.

mingoslim

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
for a while, Resistol became Bradford and Stetson became Stevens. The details didn't really register in my memory.

Stevens was actually a fine brand in its own right . . . I had a Stevens from the 1940s which I have since passed on to a fellow lounger, and we both agree that it is one sweet hat . . .

What happened with Stetson is that when Stetson stopped manufacturing hats in the early 1970s and went into the "branding" game, Stevens took over the actual manufacture of Stetson hats . . .

I beleive that Bradford was a house brand manufactureed by (or taken over by) Resistol . . . but don't quote me on that one.

Stoney

Practically Family
Dumb Luck is all it takes sometimes

I can't believe that I was able to get these hats at the prices that I did.

Royal Stetson for $18.51. it has Whippet like proportions. Looks like 1950s

Side.jpg

Front.jpg

Sweat.jpg

Brandon with un-reeded sweat in Blue looks like late 40s or early 50s for a mere $15.95 BIN. Ya gotta love some of these auctions.

Top.jpg

Sweat.jpg

fletch31

Familiar Face
Nice Job scoring those. That brim flange looks like one of the wider ones that I have seen on the bay. Most I have seen will only flange a brim less than 2 5/8" in width with the majority being 2 1/2" or less. Thats a great price if it is as wide as it looks.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fletch31 said:
Nice Job scoring those. That brim flange looks like one of the wider ones that I have seen on the bay. Most I have seen will only flange a brim less than 2 5/8" in width with the majority being 2 1/2" or less. Thats a great price if it is as wide as it looks.
I did find it on ebay fletch.....I've been pretty patient. They've been catching some pretty high numbers on there for these. I indeed did luck out and s&h was only $12.00 as well. Heck, I've already paid that much s&h for a hat on ebay.

As far as the flange width goes, there's no #'s on it. The best I can measure though is just short of 3", like maybe 2 7/8. The bottom of the block's 3#'s are.... 5 3/4, 6 7/8, and 51. I grabbed it because of the 6 7/8 size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran