Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
I got the Habig Homburg on German Ebay. I am not sure what happen with that first photo.

Do you know if Breiter are still making men's hats?

I just checked their website: www.breiterhuete.de

They still do bespoke ladies hats. What they offer in terms of gentlemen´s hedwear is the whole sort of international off the shelf stuff, you get everywhere. :(

Dreispitz said:
I just checked their website: www.breiterhuete.de

They still do bespoke ladies hats. What they offer in terms of gentlemen´s hedwear is the whole sort of international off the shelf stuff, you get everywhere. :(

Thanks! That is pretty much what I figured. I am very interested to see this Breiter.

-Steve

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love this blue, size 7 Hardeman OR clone.
237248982_tp.jpg
237249902_tp.jpg

237250329_tp.jpg

trailrunner

Familiar Face
I won this Stetson Twenty Five on Ebay earlier in the week. I was hoping there might be a gem hiding under the dirt. I received it today, and I am pretty happy with it. It has some scuffs along the brim-edge. It needs a ribbon, and the stitching holding the liner in is coming loose. Otherwise it is in good shape - no moth bites or severe staining. These pictures are kind of poor, but here it is after being wiped with a damp rag, and crown opened back out:

outside.jpg

Inside.jpg

The interesting thing (To me anyway) was that that what I thought was an over-welted edge is actually a Cavanaugh style edge.

I found a couple of threads (circa 2003, 2004) here on the lounge about the Twenty Fives, but it seemed no one was sure when they started making them. If anyone does happen to know anything about the history of the Stetson 25s, I would love to hear it.

Paul

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
I was watching this Portis, unfortunately forgot to bid. Was a nice colour too.

It was nice, wasn't it? I bid, but not seriously enough as whomever won wanted it at least a dollar more than I did at the time I set my sniper. :p

Cheers,
Tom

Lefty said:
Issues of Apparel Arts aren't getting any cheaper as the economy continues to sink.
4de5_1.JPG

5149_1.JPG

546d_1.JPG

Marc Chevalier said:
Yup! I said as much in another thread. They won't get cheaper, because they're so rare.

(It amuses me when folks in *other* fora post scans from 1930s Esquire mags and then claim that they're from issues of Apparel Arts. Happens all the time.)

Oh, i don't know. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230330398582

When i've scanned this i will pass it on at cost (i.e. winning price plus shipping, plus shipping to the destination of whoever wants it).

p.s. Lefty. Please contact me about your copy of Apparel Arts. Anyone else on FLounge who owns a copy of Apparel Arts, also please contact me with volume and issue info. There will be a special prize for all who can help me out!!! (some have received this special prize already and can testify).

bk

spim

New in Town
Autochrome with hat

I collect antique photography and cameras and another collector let me know of this image. Autochromes are very scarce, they were the precursor to color film and were only around for a very short time.

Autochromes were made with colored grains of potato starch, they have a very special look.

I didn't bid, my friend and I both thought it would go for $500+ mainly due to it's size and it just did! :D been following it since it listed.

This one is unusual for sure!

Rare large Autochrome image

492034363_nxPQP-XL-1.jpg

Details of the process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumière

One of the most delicate, in all aspects of the word, photographical techniques is the Autochrome. These early 20th. Century color photographs, invented by the Lumière brothers, (Auguste and Louis) show images with a 'pointillistic' effect.

The Lumière's contribution to color photography is perhaps of more importance in comparison to their contribution in film history, since in the period (1895) they "invented" cinema, projected moving images where since long in existence!

Autochromes were not the first photographs in color since the search for color started at the dawn of photography and is seen in most early techniques true coloring by hand. E.g. Daguerreotypes, Ambrotypes, Chrystoleums, ...etc.

However, the autochrome was the first practical technique that produced color without the artificial aid of an artist.
http://users.telenet.be/thomasweynants/autochromes.html

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wormser.....

Somebody got a beautiful hat in that Wormser.....box and all. I had a few bids in on it, but was gone for the day. I'm sorry I missed out on it. This is exactly what I was looking for in a Wormser. :(

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If they're in decent shape, which they appear to be, you may have just hit one of the best deals of the year so far.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Resistol Roadkill Reprise

rlk said:
O
3351720284_a2578f2db1_b.jpg

This an old Resistol "Plains" with wrap-around Wildfowl. There was another fairly nice Western Hat in the box, A Dobbs Fedora and a Stephen Stetson Open Road Clone. This was the only one that nearly fits. The other 3 will soon be on ebay again(maybe this one too). Hideously Ugly or Strangely Beautiful?
After removing the crown of feathers and brushing off clouds of choking dust,
there's a nice hat under there. The felt seems to be of very high quality.
3359423277_ae18412f11_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen