Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, gents. I'll try and hold back my appreciation of your/my enthusiasm.

cowardly-lion-0609-lg.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes, when a Lounger throws one back into the 'Bay, you just have to fish it back out. Portis Sterling from ScottF -- very reminiscent of the Stetson Privateer...

PortisSide.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Sometimes, when a Lounger throws one back into the 'Bay, you just have to fish it back out. Portis Sterling from ScottF -- very reminiscent of the Stetson Privateer...

PortisSide.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

I have to say that's a hat that belongs among the others Jimmy has.

billysmom

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:

PortisSide.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Love it! The colors, the pug, the proportions ... everything!

Sue

glittlewing

New in Town
Yes another great Lid for another great day

Hi all I must say that is a good lookin lid, since I joined The Fedora Lounge here I have seen a lot of good looking hats and have learned a lot of different things by all of the posts. Just got the Vintage Fedora 1940's Mallory 5th Avenue yesterday light tan my wife loves the look of it paid a bit more then I wanted but when you see something you like I guess you pay the piper. Very light weight felt very airy feeling reminds me of my Grandfathers summer hat he had Seller told me it was in good shape but there is moth bites and black streaks on the top of the crown not seen in the pics and it is going to need a block and clean to hold any kind of shape, could be worse. This weekend was already taking a road trip to Chicago to Optimo on the Stetsonian Bogart that I got a few weeks ago so will have two in the shower and beauty shop for a bit, hay hats need a vacation too of rest and renewal.
Now to let you know my avatar pic that me in 1967 taken Easter time in my home town of Delavan WI saw the thread of how did you start to wear hats? After my Dad past this spring Mom told me as I found that pic of me with the hat on she said I had to be like my Dad had to have my hat on all the time like my father. Dad would get a new hat I had to have one I remember Dad had his blue gray Stratoliner and My Grand Father had his light gray Stratoliner not sure where any of them went to after the years. After my Dad passed something inside a spark went off and I want to find older style hats to wear again got a Beaver Brand Hat couple of months ago and started looking on line for vintage hats and in the buy sell shops around here, got about eight different hats now still trying to get a Stratoliner in memory of my Grandfather and my Dad hard to get one thou someday maybe. Thanks all for everyone knowledge pics and sharing the past is never dead it just gets passed on. Gregory Littleiwng M. Smith

glittlewing said:
Hi all I must say that is a good lookin lid, since I joined The Fedora Lounge here I have seen a lot of good looking hats and have learned a lot of different things by all of the posts. Just got the Vintage Fedora 1940's Mallory 5th Avenue yesterday light tan my wife loves the look of it paid a bit more then I wanted but when you see something you like I guess you pay the piper. Very light weight felt very airy feeling reminds me of my Grandfathers summer hat he had Seller told me it was in good shape but there is moth bites and black streaks on the top of the crown not seen in the pics and it is going to need a block and clean to hold any kind of shape, could be worse. This weekend was already taking a road trip to Chicago to Optimo on the Stetsonian Bogart that I got a few weeks ago so will have two in the shower and beauty shop for a bit, hay hats need a vacation too of rest and renewal.
Now to let you know my avatar pic that me in 1967 taken Easter time in my home town of Delavan WI saw the thread of how did you start to wear hats? After my Dad past this spring Mom told me as I found that pic of me with the hat on she said I had to be like my Dad had to have my hat on all the time like my father. Dad would get a new hat I had to have one I remember Dad had his blue gray Stratoliner and My Grand Father had his light gray Stratoliner not sure where any of them went to after the years. After my Dad passed something inside a spark went off and I want to find older style hats to wear again got a Beaver Brand Hat couple of months ago and started looking on line for vintage hats and in the buy sell shops around here, got about eight different hats now still trying to get a Stratoliner in memory of my Grandfather and my Dad hard to get one thou someday maybe. Thanks all for everyone knowledge pics and sharing the past is never dead it just gets passed on. Gregory Littleiwng M. Smith

Great story! :eusa_clap

High Pockets

Practically Family
Borsalino

This one arrived today! A great little gray Bosalino.

Remember that Royal Stetson that I got a few months ago that after an afternoon of research turned out to be a hat that belonged to Col. C.B. Hines, a well known WWII officer buried in Arlington who was one of the scientists who worked on the fledgling nuclear project?
Well this Borsalino had three initials on the sweat and today with the help of the seller, I found the original owner to be a very famous physician, Dr. Rocko M. Fasanella, from Yale who was a member of the first medical team to administer penicillin as a drug in the United States.

:D I love it!!

d05dae07.jpg

81c8cede.jpg

df3191a3.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Stetson Stowaway

This little grey Stetson that I picked up on ebay arrived today.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The pleasant surprise is that, not only is it in great condition, but it's a crushable - aptly named the Stetson Stowaway. The tag under the cloth sweat tells me that it's colour is caribou and the original price was $14.95. The retailer was Southcomb in Baltimore.

The key-shaped size tag has the United Hat & Millinary Workers International Union badge on the reverse. The oval box (assuming it's original) is similar to the one my 1958 Stetson Trilby came in.

The felt is wonderfully light and pliable and can be crushed into a tight ball and will bounce back into whatever crease you want to give it - and all without the modern touches like Akubra's 'memory wire' in its Traveller.

I know Mallory has a Stowaway, but I've not seen another Stetson by that name. Anyone else got one of these?

As for age, it's the post 1952 Stetson logo. My guess is 60's - but what do I know.

Noggin shots will follow once camera batteries are replaced. Bloody greedy things these cameras!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy