Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Like many Stetsons, there seem to be a few variations of this one. I believe that the last one I saw (MichaelShane's maybe?) had a thinner ribbon.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Would it bother you if someone copied a majority of the text of one of your auctions and used it for one of theirs?[huh]

B

Mine are absurd, so copy away. Dinerman has (had?) a notice not to copy his auctions - possibly with an ebay rule to back it up. Copies of rilico's auctions would be too obvious.

buler

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
Not if it means other non-hat initiated sellers were putting accurate descriptions in their auctions.

Thats a very optimistic way to look at it Bill! Thanks for that. It didn't really bother me as much as amuse me anyway. But they did copy the part about having a wind trolley, yet I don't
see one on their hat....

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe coping an ebay auction is against ebay policy. Some sellers use soft ware to protect against coping. Mark Moyer an ebay seller of Aero jackets has his trade mark on all his photos to deter unauthorized use. Yes I think it would brother me to find some using my text rather than go through the effort to write their own listing.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bolthead said:
40's Dobbs

This is a gorgeous Lid which looks to be in pristine shape and I realize the size, but why did it go for more than $400? [huh]
This came up before... Still don't understand why it went for so much.
Someone got excited.

I seem to recall I had a dispute with that seller once. Can't get to my email
at the moment to be sure. Hope it is as nice as the buyer expects.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I think this one had a very short run. Here's an earlier post in this thread. It seems that a number of hat companies decided to start pushing pre-shaped hats in the early 50s.

Here are a couple of '53 ads.
stetsoncustomv1953.jpg

stetson1953customV.jpg

Interesting...the hat and I have the same age...:rage: :mad: :eek: :(

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=380169745670&view=all&tid=0

This one just came in the mail today. As you can see it was listed as a bowler but I thought it was a homburg. I was right, a very nice soft felt with the bow on the ribbon in the back. I've never seen a Stetson with that sort of ribbon treatment, but the ribbon does appear to be original. After a bit of cleaning and steam, I'll post some photos.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
The link's dead. :( Guess we'll all have to wait to see the upcoming pics.

bolthead said:
40's Dobbs

This is a gorgeous Lid which looks to be in pristine shape and I realize the size, but why did it go for more than $400? [huh]

Somebody wanted it really bad. I'd just like to know if the seller got his dough. :eusa_doh:

ScottF said:
Do you really have that much success with the stretcher? I've tried it a few times, but I guess I'm too cowardly to really give it a good effort.
I have a 7 3/8 XLO & a couple of 7 1/2 that I have stretched to my 24", 7 5/8 LO noggin shape. I have a vintage Stetson 7 1/2 XLO that fits me as well. I have a couple of vintage stretchers, 1 will stretch a 7 1/2 both sides & front & back then another just front & back. I give them the both directions then the front & back to get the LO shape to hold. If I wear them & the sweat gets damp, I use a hat jack to keep the shape.
I always condition the sweatband & steam the bottom of the crown then apply the stretcher, gently increasing tension ever so often. The 7 1/2 Regular Oval Stetson 100 fits me like a custom now.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
mannySpaghetti said:
Somebody wanted it really bad. I'd just like to know if the seller got his dough. :eusa_doh:

The man that bought that hat is a prominent member of this forum and very capable of honoring his bids.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
For some reason you've reminded me of 3000 Miles to Graceland. ;)

Pork chop pork chop
Greasy greasy
We'll beat your team
Easy easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt