Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I liked this one when you picked it up, and I like it even more now that you've reshaped it. I think yours is only the first or second picot here. A recent discussion and a bit of googling seems to show that it's a weave, but there's very little out there right now.

BTW, to make your photos show, just knock off everything after the .jpg.
resistolmav1.jpg

TMoomaw said:
maverick.jpg

Been looking for something like this for awhile. The tag inside reads, Maverick as the style and Avario as the color, price 8.95 back in the day.

resistolmav1.jpg

It reshaped nicely, here it is in a C Crown.

Anyone heard of Picot? Is that the stitching, or straw?
Love my hat,
TMoo

Spellflower

Practically Family
I just received a hat that was listed as having no size label, but as being 7/38. I flipped the sweat, and found a 7 1/4 tag and a reorder tag that confirmed that size.

Needless to say, the hat is very tight on my 7 3/8 head- and I just cut my hair down to 1/8 of an inch!

So here's the question: do I have a leg to stand on asking to return it? The auction said no returns, but this seems a pretty straight up case of a misleading listing.

P.S.: Mr E, my heart goes out to you! I hope you find a better hat for less at your local thrift shop next week!

billyspew

One Too Many
Yeps said:
Just curious, does anyone else here bid on things with a week to go, when they are still cheap, purely out of wishful thinking?

Always. As soon as I see something I like, I'll put the absolute maximum bid in that I want to pay then leave it. If I don't win - I wasn't willing to pay that much, if I do, then great.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Spellflower said:
I just received a hat that was listed as having no size label, but as being 7/38. I flipped the sweat, and found a 7 1/4 tag and a reorder tag that confirmed that size.

Needless to say, the hat is very tight on my 7 3/8 head- and I just cut my hair down to 1/8 of an inch!

So here's the question: do I have a leg to stand on asking to return it? The auction said no returns, but this seems a pretty straight up case of a misleading listing.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact the Seller to arrange for a return. The "no return" policy isn't enforceable when there has been a material misrepresentation of the item (and stating the size incorrectly qualifies in that regard). I'd be surprised if the Seller wouldn't cooperate, but who knows? Keep us posted, and good luck!

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Spellflower said:

P.S.: Mr E, my heart goes out to you! I hope you find a better hat for less at your local thrift shop next week!
You absolutely should be able to return it. However, since you are still responsible for the postage in both directions, it may sometimes be more economical to resell if you didn't pay too much to begin with.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
You absolutely should be able to return it. However, since you are still responsible for the postage in both directions, it may sometimes be more economical to resell if you didn't pay too much to begin with.

If the item was listed in error, the Seller should refund the postage. The Buyer shouldn't have to pay for something that was incorrectly advertised. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a full refund.

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
If the item was listed in error, the Seller should refund the postage. The Buyer shouldn't have to pay for something that was incorrectly advertised. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a full refund.

Cheers,
JtL
A full refund is one that covers the cost of the item and original shipping. If you've received an item and want a full refund, you'll usually need to send the item back to the seller. Buyers are responsible for paying return shipping unless the buyer and seller have reached a different agreement. In unusual circumstances, eBay may pay return shipping.

Disputes:
"If the buyer informs eBay that no resolution has been reached, eBay will review the case. If we find "item not received" cases in the buyer's favor, eBay will refund the cost of the item and original shipping to the buyer. If we resolve "item not as described" cases in the buyer's favor, we will in most circumstances ask the buyer to return the item to the seller which will be at the buyer's expense (unless eBay opts to pay for return shipping). Once the item has been returned to the seller, eBay will refund the cost of the item and original shipping to the buyer."

SteveAS

Practically Family
Spellflower said:

Perhaps you could provide a link to the ebay listing? Whether or not the item was misrepresented seems to depend on the strength of the seller's representation regarding size. For instance, if he said something like, "I find no size label, but it was in an estate with other 7-3/8 hats," I'd be inclined to say he did not misrepresent the hat's size because (presumably) he didn't see the size behind the sweat.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not the seller but do have a differant take on the dilemma.

Seeing that the size tag was stated as missing, I think that the buyer should of asked how it is that the seller felt confident stating that it was 3/8. That dialog would have uncovered facts critial to the prospective buyer. Caveat emptor -

If the buyer takes it back fine. If they don't, no need for rancor. Just resell the hat as 1/4 and chaulk it up as a learning experience.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The size issue is a bit gray(almost no sellers measure accurately even with instructions), most other info is nonsense(misinformed rather than malicious perhaps),as discussed at the time of the auction.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Spellflower said:
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Here's a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_485wt_1089

I'm going to email the seller and ask that he take the hat back. I'll keep you posted about his response.

My antennae would have gone up as soon as I saw the reeded sweatband and read the reference to the "label behind the clear plastic", which means the 1930's assertion goes right out the window.

You may have noticed in other auctions a question from a potential bidder asking the seller to turn down the sweatband and look for the blocking sticker or the size of the sweatband marked in grease pencil - that's me, and it's saved me more than once - usually from bidding on the wrong hat but sometimes identifying a correct size (for me) that the seller was erroneously guessing at. It always pays to ask questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot