Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
This may lend credence to the theory that it's not Loungers driving up Whippet prices. I would think most Loungers would not be put off by the poor marketing of this listing - the seller had the brim down all around. I would surmise a higher price would have been obtained if the brim was in normal "Whippet" style, up in back and down in front. So the unusual styling scared people off. That's my theory anyway...or I could be full of hot air!

Or it could be that many reacted the way I did: saw it, and didn't bother setting a sniper on it as I figured it would climb up into the stratosphere as well so why bother? And then it doesn't! :eusa_doh:

Well, good on ya, whomever did opt to bid! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Free Market

Lot's of speculation on the Whippet market, I'm reading here. It's probably the best educated speculation I can read anywhere though.

The Whippet market is downright volatile. This is the sort of thing that makes stock market analysts jump up and down, pound on the table, drool, and throw spit in your face.

Twenty four colors? I wonder how many ribbon/brim binding variations there are within each color?

My head is spinning.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
Or it could be that many reacted the way I did: saw it, and didn't bother setting a sniper on it as I figured it would climb up into the stratosphere as well so why bother? And then it doesn't! :eusa_doh:

Well, good on ya, whomever did opt to bid! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

That was my take on it as well, I figured it would go high and I didn't want to bother spending a lot of $$ on another brown hat. I didn't bother to set a maybe-I'll-get-lucky snipe, because I don't like running up the price on a hat I'm not dying to have.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:
...I didn't want to bother spending a lot of $$ on another brown hat. ...

Now a rust colored ribbon or some variation of tan or green or..., now that would have got somebody jumping up and down!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
Don't see many of these:
!BqtGPgQBmk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEvBsihq4fBLwi)hH9h!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2022628&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_956

rlk, you scored well on this one and the Knox. Both are fine hats!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rnfuller said:
My first Open Road.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230464996880&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Think I did ok?

Hope it is as nice as it looks!

Randy

Good on ya' Rando! You dun good. :eusa_clap

This guy (seller) knows his hats & is a sometime poster here, I am sure. He has been doing quite well (both aesthetically [IMHO] as well as financially) with cut down re-worked western conversions, new sweat, re-flanged brims, recreased high boxy crowns, thin ribbons and bulletproof vintage felt. I haven't seen one yet but would like to...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380227408547

Thanks to Lefty for the tip on this one. Now let's just hope that the seller can't measure worth a damn (always a safe bet) and that the sumbitch actually fits.

367318053_o.jpg
367318148_o.jpg

It says 40's, but I kind of doubt it. The model number and style designation written on the inside of the sweatband looks to me like ballpoint pen, and I'm not sure how common that would have been in the 40's.

367318242_o.jpg

Plus, that font that store's name is written in somehow doesn't scream 40's to me.

367318223_o.jpg

I'm thinking 60's, maybe, but I don't know how anybody could verify it unless they happen to know something about Park Crest Hats, which looks like it was a designer label.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Good News!

Ebay decided in my favor on the Parkleigh hat listed as a 7 3/8 with no tags that turned out to be a 7 1/4 with tags under the sweat. I'm sending it back for a full refund, but I pay shipping back to the seller.

Note to sellers: DO NOT say that the hat is a particular size unless it is new and has a tag. Otherwise simply state the facts, "it has a tag that says 7 3/8," or, "I measured it and got 23 inches, but your results may vary."

Mr E Train said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380227408547

Thanks to Lefty for the tip on this one. Now let's just hope that the seller can't measure worth a damn (always a safe bet) and that the sumbitch actually fits.
It says 40's, but I kind of doubt it. The model number and style designation written on the inside of the sweatband looks to me like ballpoint pen, and I'm not sure how common that would have been in the 40's.

Plus, that font that store's name is written in somehow doesn't scream 40's to me.

I'm thinking 60's, maybe, but I don't know how anybody could verify it unless they happen to know something about Park Crest Hats, which looks like it was a designer label.

That is a beautiful hat! Looks mid 50s to me but that is just a guess.

Found this interesting story on Fred Meine. :)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19780712&id=n4Y1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=7aEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5038,2729726

Mr E Train

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
That is a beautiful hat! Looks mid 50s to me but that is just a guess.

Found this interesting story on Fred Meine. :)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19780712&id=n4Y1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=7aEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5038,2729726

Thanks, I did find that as well. I also found an obituary, but I'm not sure if it was the same Fred Meine. I think the article above might have been the son, not sure.

P.S. I hate the crease that it has. If it turns out to be acceptable size-wise, I'll probably do a teardrop crease and flatten the brim out and give it a little upturn in the back and downturn in the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy