Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Well, I got the Park Crest silver belly "Western" today. I didn't like the half-assed crease, so I gave it a half-assed diamond bash and a front pinch, using no steam, and snapped the brim down because I have no illusions of being a cowboy. Not bad for about 3 minutes work.

parkcrest1.jpg

It was marked 7 3/4, but the seller said the circumference measurement was 22 3/4". Lefty suggested to ignore the measurements and go with the size marked, so I took the chance. I measured it carefully myself when I got it, and I got....22 3/4". :eusa_doh: For once, an eBay seller can measure!:eek: It's too small, but with the brim turned down in the front and with the hat worn tilted back (which I prefer anyway), it almost works. Unless someone wants to make me an offer on it, I think I'm going to keep it and see if a little stretching and steaming can make it fit better.

parkcrest2.jpg
parkcrest3.jpg

It seems to be a long oval (8 1/4" front to back and 6 3/4" side to side), which makes it an easier fit than it would have been otherwise. The seller said there were two moth nibbles, which are plainly evident in the photo, but there are a few other little nibbles that are less evident, one of which you can see next to the edge of the ribbon--a couple on the top side of the brim and one or two very tiny ones on the underside of the brim. I didn't notice any nibbles on the crown. Liner's in great shape, and the sweatband is aces, soft and pliable.

Whaddaya think, is it worth keeping and stretching a bit, or should I try to get my money back from the seller, or perhaps sell to a fellow Lounger?

Mr E Train said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380227408547

Thanks to Lefty for the tip on this one. Now let's just hope that the seller can't measure worth a damn (always a safe bet) and that the sumbitch actually fits.

367318053_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/0/6/5/9/webimg/367318148_o.jpg

It says 40's, but I kind of doubt it. The model number and style designation written on the inside of the sweatband looks to me like ballpoint pen, and I'm not sure how common that would have been in the 40's.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/0/6/5/9/webimg/367318242_o.jpg

Plus, that font that store's name is written in somehow doesn't scream 40's to me.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/0/6/5/9/webimg/367318223_o.jpg

I'm thinking 60's, maybe, but I don't know how anybody could verify it unless they happen to know something about Park Crest Hats, which looks like it was a designer label.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It should stretch back to size if you leave a stretcher in it overnight, expand a little, & repeat. In my experience, unlike smaller hats stretching up, a hat stretched back to size tends to stay stretched.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
I bid on and won this...From the pics, blurry as they are, it looks like a very tight weave.

It has potential to be a nice Montecristi, we'll see when it arrives.

Very curious and very much worth the gamble on that one!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
It's from the other side of the Pacific, a buntal or Baku. A nice hat!

Is it the vertical looking weave that leads you to this conclusion?

Or some other elementary eagle eyed process.

Do tell, Vic!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
buntal004.jpg

On a west Pacific hat, the straw addition is visible on the outside as well as the inside. See the V's the new straw makes.
panamamontefratz005ux1.jpg

On a Montecristi the valuates are seen on the inside and not detectable on the outside of the hat.

GWD

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
It's from the other side of the Pacific, a buntal or Baku. A nice hat!

I was thinking the same thing when I first looked at the listing but this picture lead me to believe it's a Montecristi

web.jpg

I could be wrong, like I said, it was a gamble.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Check the photo of the outside of the crown and you will see the V's, you won't find these on a Montecristi. You got a good buy on this hat.

GWD

One Too Many
web.jpg

I think I see what you mean. The picture is so crappy though.

This picture is useless
web.jpg

We'll see, nevertheless, I'm going to have it cleaned and blocked and made into a nice C-crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic