Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay sucks

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I found that the more effort I put in like that, the more I got hosed. Luckily, I took pics of everything - box, label, receipt from USPS, etc. That made the effort more than it was worth, but it paid off when fighting Paypal. The limitations sellers can impose are lame, and that you can't give buyers feedback is an outright scam. Never again.

It's the weirdos who inundate you with PMs, demanding endless details and extra pics, that drive me to distraction. Invariably, they question everything about the listing - I had one person insinuate that the Mister Freedom jeans I sold were fake because the buttons were a different colour from the ones on the website - but then don't even put a bid in!
When I'm selling, I tend to lower my expectations as to the final price - I usually stick a reasonable starting price close to what seems to be eBay averages to encourage at least a starting bid. If it goes for the asking price, great, I'm shot of something that's just clogging up a wardrobe. If it goes for more than the average price, I'm in clover.

Sold a pair of T. O. Stanley full kangaroo cowboy boots on the bay about a year ago. The buyer attempted a return saying they were nice boots but he was returning them because they were made of goat. Went through hell for a couple of weeks with this moron, even forwarding emails I received from Mr. Stanley stating that with the model and production numbers I had saved and provided, that they were indeed kangaroo. Moron finally relented and dropped it.

In regards to Etsy, I bought a couple of hats that are out for delivery today. The tracking numbers show one is out for delivery today here in AL. The other shows it was delivered this morning to Holyoke, MA. WTF?

robrinay

One Too Many
As Sloan recommends above, checking out the auction end time can pay dividends. I picked up a 1950s Series 7 Arne Jacobsen office chair - nickel plated wire pedestal base with castors for £50 - it ended 5 minutes into the London Olympics opening ceremony and a mint Barbour Solway zipper two crown for £40 at 11.00 am on a Monday.

robrinay

One Too Many
@Bamaboots - Empathy - I just bought a Swaine Adeney Brigg wallet cheap on eBay to be told that the seller had posted it in error three days before to a buyer of a different wallet she had sold. She'd then sent his proper one to him and was hoping he'd return mine??

robrinay

One Too Many
Gumtree is great for buying! EBay Global Shipping hasn't let me down but I've noticed that the GSP depots in the UK don't sign to accept delivery and that makes their insistence on using tracked shipping worthless with regard to proving delivery. Fortunately the few items I've sent abroad have been tracked by GSP although two came up with the message - damaged and unable to deliver just before being delivered (I assume delivered anyway as I got positive feedback). PS I've just put in a claim with Royal Mail for delayed delivery. It's still showing with Royal Mail as on its way as it wasn't signed for at the GSP depot whereas GSP shows it delivered to an address in France. It can't be fraudulent as I discussed it with Royal Mail by phone and was given a reference number.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran