Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edumication

What is your Level of Education ?

• Still in School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School/GED Diploma

• Some College

• Associates

• Bachelors

• Masters

• Call me "DR."

• Went to School of HARD KNOCKS, well rounded Education

• Total voters

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Whoever made up the poll neglected an option that is usually included in these sorts of things. I am a proud graduate of a trade school.

I second that. Even though I went to University for more years and majored and minored in more subjects than I'd care to admit to, I never finished. In 3 countries to boot. I had been more or less pushed to go by a parent, whether I liked it or not. I have ended up in two professions, furniture restoration (trade school) then teacher of Pilates and Yoga (courses), neither of which required me to set foot again into a University. Whew!!!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I've a similar story to dr greg's. I started working in a hotel banquet room at 14, joined the military at 17, had more jobs than I can remember on a good day, and at 46 I now have a nice quiet office job that I hope to stay at until I retire. I graduated high school before joining the military, got a few college courses in during and following my enlistment, and so far I've never been in a situation nor engaged in a conversation that called for more learnin' than I have.

Chas

One Too Many
To quote Rowan Atkinson, "I, on the other hand, have a degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks, and three gold stars from the Kindergarten of Getting the s**t Kicked Out of Me."

SayCici

Practically Family
Wow! I'm still in college to get my BA in Secondary Teacher Education and at some point after that I'll get my Master's in History.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Slim Portly said:
so far I've never been in a situation nor engaged in a conversation that called for more learnin' than I have.
Lucky you, I'm constantly out of my depth. :(

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BA English

Although I actually write novels, the degree has done me very little good. [huh]

Actually wish I would have gone for BA/BS Psychology. I know, almost as useless, but at least I would have certified background in a subject I enjoy.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BA "History" (Berkeley) (emphasis on modern intellectual history and ancient history)
MA "Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology" (Berkeley)
Currently writing doctoral dissertation in "Graduate Group in Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology" (Berkeley). Will have PhD in 2011.

WH1

Practically Family
Chas said:
To quote Rowan Atkinson, "I, on the other hand, have a degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks, and three gold stars from the Kindergarten of Getting the s**t Kicked Out of Me."
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Black Adder Goes Forth, a truly great production.

I have a bachelors in history, and based on the above a masters from kindergarten. College, Marine Corps, various business enterprises, Marine Corps and various interesting enterprises abroad.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Associates in Business Data Processing (computer programming) and I've been a professional computer geek programmer for the subsequent 39 years. Before that about 2 years of accumulated avionics training in the US Navy and a few years as an electronics tech.

The rest of my education is from the School of Hard Knocks and lots of reading.

Mav

A-List Customer
Hey, on the upside, as of last week a report came out that a college education now counts against you when looking for a job.
So, I've taken the degree off of my resume. That's four years of overpriced textbooks and lack of sleep I'll never get back.

KK

New in Town
Got a freebie AAS from the Air Force (only in the Air Force is music an applied science), then a diploma from a hardcore old school hospital RN program. Nursing has tightened up (new grads aren't getting hired these days), so it's probably time to get an online BSN to stay one step ahead of the unemployment line.

If you forsee getting in an educational snot-slinging contest, you can arm up with a DD the time-honored way everyone gets one: you pay for it. Lots of folks build a new building for a divinity school to get one of these. You can get one online from ULC for $32.99, which is loads cheaper than a building, and it's as good as any DD in the world (the degree is strictly honorary). I think you have to first get ordained by them (free of charge). There ya go, Reverend Doctor! A whole new world of hats (and collars) is opened before you.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Doran said:
BA "History" (Berkeley) (emphasis on modern intellectual history and ancient history)
MA "Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology" (Berkeley)
Currently writing doctoral dissertation in "Graduate Group in Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology" (Berkeley). Will have PhD in 2011.

How does you, Doran?

I might have to pick your brain soon, now that I'm a Bay Area resident.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I'm definitely in the wrong lounge... high school dropout (well, kicked out, really) ... followed by engineering school dropout ... followed by law school dropout - hey but I did get IN to engineering school and law school. Got a doctorate from the university of hard knocks along the way.

Tripnastic

New in Town
I got a paramedic license and a diploma in Surgical Technology while in the Army. When I got out I used the GI Bill to get a business degree. That parlayed nicely into my job now as a clinical administrator for a non-profit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner