Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC German Flying Coat: Military nostalgia or civilian jacket?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Guy Gibson joins the Luftwaffe!

200607raf-guy-gibson-3.jpg

-- Wing Commander Guy Penrose Gibson VC, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, RAF

PLUS A-2's and B-3's join the Luftwaffe and are now VERBOTEN . . forever . . .!

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-666-6875-052.jpg

NO JACKET FOR YOU! (which pretty much means that the Goodwear Dubow 1755 has to go back to John).

-- The Jacket Nazi

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Brown Imperial Coat

How sure are we that all the German Imperial Air Service pilots wore black? I know brown was very popular around the world for pilots before and after the war. Since they were private purchase, some must have been brown. I know there are examples of American Air Service pilots Coats from WWI in brown.

D

Deleted member 16736

As I said, if it was a civilian design that just happened to be worn by German WWI fighter pilots, I have no problem, but if it was military issue, then yes, it is too closely identified with the WWI German Luftwaffe and I don't want it on my body. I don't really see your point, but I appreciate the humor.

Meanwhile, I still don't know if this jacket was military issue. It doesn't matter anyway because Gary at ELC got back to me and said they would not swap out the label. All for naught.

Last edited by a moderator:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I did my research on the subject, having some spare time:

well, it turns out that in WWI there wasn't even a Luftwaffe: actually the real thing was named "Luftstreitkräfte" (and before 1916, Die Fliegertruppen des deutschen Kaiserreiches);
I can't read very precisely the label on the ELC coat, but if it reads "Luftwaffe" that has to be considered a mistake, or a license.
(Anyway, if they don't swap out the label, would they at least remove it?)

Also, I found many different pics, on many sites, of german aviators wearing leather coats, and no one looks identical to the other... so, while not having found anything conclusive on that, I'd say it's very very probable that those things were private purchase.

After all, even the ELC one, besides having a wrong label (a good hint that they probably didn't copy an "issued" original), claims only to be "most certainly fit for an Ace", and not a copy of anything.

Hope this helps, ciao!! :)

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I did my research on the subject, having some spare time:

well, it turns out that in WWI there wasn't even a Luftwaffe: actually the real thing was named "Luftstreitkräfte" (and before 1916, Die Fliegertruppen des deutschen Kaiserreiches);
I can't read very precisely the label on the ELC coat, but if it reads "Luftwaffe" that has to be considered a mistake, or a license.
(Anyway, if they don't swap out the label, would they at least remove it?)

Also, I found many different pics, on many sites, of german aviators wearing leather coats, and no one looks identical to the other... so, while not having found anything conclusive on that, I'd say it's very very probable that those things were private purchase.

After all, even the ELC one, besides having a wrong label (a good hint that they probably didn't copy an "issued" original), claims only to be "most certainly fit for an Ace", and not a copy of anything.

Hope this helps, ciao!! :)

I think Italian Wiseguy is right: ELC doesn't claim that it is a repro anywhere (notice how they carefully avoid the subject), and of all the WWI pictures I have seen, too, none of the aviators are wearing the same jackets. In fact, I have never seen a picture of a coat similar to Eastman's.* Most of the WWI aviators' coats I have seen - Von Richthofen's included - have a fur collar.

* The closest to the ELC WWI Flying Coat I have seen is what the main character wears in the Blue Max. However, among other things, it is significantly shorter than the Eastman Coat.

xt40

Familiar Face
I think its a bit silly to get hung about wearing a luftstreitkraefte coat. it was almost 100 years ago and those guys were only serving their country. but if it makes you feel better, the eastman WW1 German Coat is suspiciously identical in design to the brooklands motoring coat which would lead me to guess that is just a nice leather coat and eastman are practicing the art of marketing.

xt40

Familiar Face
I think its a bit silly to get hung about wearing a luftstreitkraefte coat. it was almost 100 years ago and those guys were only serving their country. but if it makes you feel better, the eastman WW1 German Coat is suspiciously identical in design to the brooklands motoring coat which would lead me to guess that is just a nice leather coat and eastman are practicing the art of marketing.

D

Deleted member 16736

I think letting other people decide what you should wear is silly. Like I said, if it says Luftwaffe I don't want it. Let it say Lederhosen and I'd wear it. And if there was no Luftwaffe in WWI, then ELC should be willing to change it. I emailed Gary and asked him again to change the label if for no other reason than historical accuracy. If he replies, I'll update you.

Last edited by a moderator:

xt40

Familiar Face
I think letting other people decide what you should wear is silly. Like I said, if it says Luftwaffe I don't want it. Let it say Lederhosen and I'd wear it. And if there was no Luftwaffe in WWI, then ELC should be willing to change it. I emailed Gary and asked him again to change the label if for no other reason than historical accuracy. If he replies, I'll update you.

maybe they buy them in from a third party and that is why he wont/cant remove the label

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy