Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Moments

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Omg I just remembered the most truly horrifying thing. I was with a friend visiting some foreign guys she knew, when they brought out a gun to show us. Being Canadian and absolutely not used to such things, I thought it was fake, pointed it at my friend, and jokingly pulled the trigger. If the safety hadn't been on I would have killed her. The guys rightly freaked out and promptly took it away. To say the memory haunts me is a gross understatement. I feel very uneasy just typing it.

Berlin

Practically Family
Me and stockings are like water and fire.
Somehow...I always get ladders in them..even if I just sit still and do nothing. {No pun intended}
This always makes me carry'ing around some nailpolish with me, to prevent the ladder for growing bigger, for everyone to see, and there is no way I can change stockings . Usually the nailpolish is a neutral color, but this time ..I only had a fire red in my bag, and I noticed a ladder in my stocking, on the level at my thighs. I thought no one would see me, and I jumped behind a car, pulled up my skirt, to tick the end of the ladder with my nailpolish..and then I heared ~a quite handsome voice~ saying to me; Shouldn't that be on your nails..instead of on your thighs?

My face was as red as my nailpolish, not to mention my akward facial expression..and I had no clue what to answer back, so the icing on the cake, was that I was laughing like a moron.

Last edited:

rue

I am known as one of the biggest klutzes of all time. Seriously, the stories people tell about me are legendary. I have a habit of tripping, falling, cutting myself (not good because I cook all the time), scraping my hand when I'm grating cheese, spilling stuff on myself, dropping things, running into things, etc. It's worse during a 'certain time' too... ugh.

The most recent event was at a neighbors New Years party when someone went to hug me. I had a full cocktail in my hand and the whole thing went up in the air, the cup went flying and the drink splashed everyone in the room, the dining table and the leather chairs and I was completely sober :rolleyes:

Another time at Thanksgiving, I went to slice the turkey and somehow managed to cut myself and blood went everywhere. We had to wash the turkey off and serve it anyway. Thank God it was just my family, but it's still awful.

I try so hard to be careful, but it happens to me all the time [huh] Thank God my husband finds my klutzy ways endearing lol

Last edited:

TheLibrarian

New in Town
When I was in my early teens I managed to fall over and hurt myself badly while walking on flat ground in my flat Doc Marten school shoes. I tore my kneecap down to the bare bone and still have a scar more than 20 years later. On perfectly flat ground! I think some of us are just prone to falling prone, if you'll excuse the dreadful pun.

I broke my leg. While standing in one place. On a flat surface. Barefoot.

Why yes, I do embody grace and coordination :p

I shudder to think how much damage I could do in heels. Or, you know, dancing.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I am known as one of the biggest klutzes of all time. Seriously, the stories people tell about me are legendary. I have a habit of tripping, falling, cutting myself (not good because I cook all the time), scraping my hand when I'm grating cheese, spilling stuff on myself, dropping things, running into things, etc. It's worse during a 'certain time' too... ugh.

The most recent event was at a neighbors New Years party when someone went to hug me. I had a full cocktail in my hand and the whole thing went up in the air, the cup went flying and the drink splashed everyone in the room, the dining table and the leather chairs and I was completely sober :rolleyes:

Another time at Thanksgiving, I went to slice the turkey and somehow managed to cut myself and blood went everywhere. We had to wash the turkey off and serve it anyway. Thank God it was just my family, but it's still awful.

I try so hard to be careful, but it happens to me all the time [huh] Thank God my husband finds my klutzy ways endearing lol

your neighbors don't happen to be named "Fred and Ethel Mertz", do they? ;)

calendargirl

New in Town
There's a story about my Grandmother Jo (who is my avatar) during WWII when she was doing some Christmas shopping in downtown Kansas City. As she's walking up the street to her car she starts to feel her knickers slipping down past her knees, but she can't do anything about it because her arms are full with packages and the streets are packed with shoppers. So she keeps walking until they slide down to her ankles, and they she steps out of them and keeps going.

I oft have klutzy moments. I have poor depth perception and it causes me to occasionally smash my shoulder into a wall or miss a high five, things of this nature. I'm also dreadfully cheap at times and don't throw things away until they are used well past when they should have been. This rings true for my shoes, which causes me many, many slip/falls during these Wisconsin winters. I almost smashed my noggin on a semi at work the other day. A typical sight of me in the winter is getting out of my truck, a quick loss of footing, leading to me gripping my truck door for dear life. It also doesn't help that when not at work, and not snowing, I insist on wearing cowboy boots.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
When I was in my early teens I managed to fall over and hurt myself badly while walking on flat ground in my flat Doc Marten school shoes. I tore my kneecap down to the bare bone and still have a scar more than 20 years later. On perfectly flat ground! I think some of us are just prone to falling prone, if you'll excuse the dreadful pun.

I couldn't agree more. My son is dreadful for falling over. Just recently he tripped over his own feet on the playground and split his chin open. He wouldn't have been so hurt if he'd put both hands out to catch himself instead of trying to protect his trilby! Daft thing!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I couldn't agree more. My son is dreadful for falling over. Just recently he tripped over his own feet on the playground and split his chin open. He wouldn't have been so hurt if he'd put both hands out to catch himself instead of trying to protect his trilby! Daft thing!

My son frequently breaks his falls with his head. He now has a permanent lump on his forehead. I asked him once why he didn't just put his hands out and he said, "I didn't want to hurt them!"

Drappa

One Too Many
I thought there was a thread on this, but my search didn't come up with anything.
Today was one of those days where everything seems to go against you. I was in a terrible rush to make it to an appointment, but had to walk the dog first. I put on a new dress that buttons up completely in the front, and felt quite put together with my accessories. As I started walking, my hair barrette kept falling out of my hair. I put it back three times, then gave up and stuffed it in my bag, and since it was windy hair was flying everywhere.
As I walked on, I noticed that the three buttons on the bottom of my dress had come undone, revealing my slip. I bent down and buttoned up, but a minute later they came undone again. I repeated the procedure, but then noticed that all the buttons on the top were now undone as well. No amount of buttoning kept the darn dress closed!
Thankfully I was wearing a cardigan and a belt, otherwise I would have been walking in my slip and with loose hair flying, looking like a mad-woman.
Even though I was in a rush, I had to change again when I got home, and change the foundation wear as well to match the alternative dress. Note to self: Never wear a button down vintage dress out before testing it for a day at home!

Last edited:

rue

I remember that thread too....

Anyway, I think we all have those days Drappa. I have a shirt that does the same thing, so I know how you feel. I have to safety pin all the button holes so it won't fly open :rolleyes:

My embarrassing moment came when I was in the parking lot of the grocery store about three weeks ago and I was stuck in my car. You see, I have a 51 chevy truck that still needs work with a passenger door that didn't open at the time. Well, the driver side door handle got stuck as did the window and I had to sit there until eventually one of the store clerks walked by to open the door for me. Picture me staring out the window, taping on the glass and motioning for someone to come over and help me lol
Luckily now that problem is fixed, but I wanted to crawl in a hole after it happened.

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
Drappa atleast you could change and fix yourself up before leaving! I did my hair before leaving the house and it was so windy I hadn't realized how messy it actually was, till the very ennd of the day when I finally looked into a mirror. It was like a rat's nest! I was so mortified I took everything down and put it in a ponytail ASAP. It was too late though because everyone had seen it :eek:

Tatum

Practically Family
Hehehe, Drappa, button down dresses! I know the feeling.

Rue, that is classic. Thank goodness someone came to your rescue!

I made the mistake recently of wearing a slip that was low enough while standing, but slid up while sitting and showed above the neckline of my dress. Of course I don't always sit and check things before leaving the house (I might now). About halfway through dinner (Hubby staring at my peeking slip like it was a train wreck) I excused myself, dug a bobby pin out of my purse and clipped it to my bra.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I had a "Moment" the other day involving a wrap skirt and some unexpected wind. I'd never worn a wrap before and was so excited when it came in the mail that I didn't take the time to figure out proper wrap skirt wearing protocol. All was fine until I stopped by my work (a school) to pick up a check. Then, out comes a gush of wind and up flies the skirt. :eek:
Luckily, I was wearing a slip but still.... flashing my underthings in front of high-schoolers, no less!

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I excused myself, dug a bobby pin out of my purse and clipped it to my bra.

Now that's ingenuity! I love it! The things a gal can do with a bobby pin!

I had a "Moment" the other day involving a wrap skirt and some unexpected wind. I'd never worn a wrap before and was so excited when it came in the mail that I didn't take the time to figure out proper wrap skirt wearing protocol. All was fine until I stopped by my work (a school) to pick up a check. Then, out comes a gush of wind and up flies the skirt. :eek:

I think Hollywood wants us to feel like starlets when our skirts are blown up. lol It doesn't usually though, does it? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner