Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Moments

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I had a "Moment" the other day involving a wrap skirt and some unexpected wind. I'd never worn a wrap before and was so excited when it came in the mail that I didn't take the time to figure out proper wrap skirt wearing protocol. All was fine until I stopped by my work (a school) to pick up a check. Then, out comes a gush of wind and up flies the skirt. :eek:
Luckily, I was wearing a slip but still.... flashing my underthings in front of high-schoolers, no less!

I'm the master of this sort of thing, helped along by the fact that I like to twirl. One of the criteria I use for skirts is how good of a twirl it will give. I never go out in my non-pencil skirts without a slip or bike-short type underthings. You can't get a really good twirl going when you have to worry about your undies showing! Been saved by the modest shorts on many occasions. :eusa_doh:

monicacaroline

New in Town
oh dear

anytime I get dressed up in a hurry something like this happens. Usually its the wrong pair of slacks that pinch and a shirt that comes unbuttoned at the top. In addition to the lipstick on my teeth :p

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
Last night was my high school's grad night. It ended today at 5:15. In an effort to leave early everyone got on the designated buses quickly and left. Prior to that I'd had 2 coffees and hot cocoa. On our way back I had to pee very badly and held it for a little over an hour. I asked our busdriver to pleasse stop because I couldn't hold it anymore. Sadly, it had created a scene while I was gone resulting in name calling. I hate high school. Good thing its all over in 4 days :l

rotebander

New in Town
I have an undergarment story-- so, I'd lost a little weight (yay!), and I didn't realize how loose my slip was. I walked up in front of the class to leave, and my slip had ridden halfway past my skirt! I wound up not realizing, as nobody had told me, until I saw my reflection in the mirror and rushed into the front office to find a bathroom. Thankfully, a teacher found me and showed me to the nearest room.

I've also got a propensity for buttoning up my shirts wrong, and having the shirt buttons on my chest pop. Popping buttons is the worst! lol

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
It never seems to fail, but I always seem to have to trip on something. One time I did that at a restaurant (because I missed a step) and I started laughing and I clearly remember the waiter saying, "You wouldn't be laughing if you fell." lol

Oh gosh. So many embarrassing things have happened to me. I had a shoe break while I was walking (weirdly enough it happened while I was at a mall with my friend, so immediately after we went shoe shopping!).

I had my glasses break (although thankfully I was able to fix them) at an amusement park. I was blind until I was able to find a shop with a glasses repair kit. I had my glasses break before, but with not such pretty results. :eek:

I had food and lipstick stains on my teeth that I didn't notice until later.

I sat in gum at a restaurant. The restaurant my friend and I went to was a little dark (mood lighting), so hopefully nobody noticed it as I was walking back and forth in the restaurant.

I've accidentally flashed some people whenever I bent over because my blouse had a low neck.

I had bad moments when that time of the month decided to show up. The worst ones when I was at work. Especially since we were required to wear these light color pants! :eek:

I've got runs in my stockings that kept on going! I usually don't notice the big hole after I come home!

I’ve also tried to pick up some change that was glued to the floor. I did this once in front of a bunch of guys and they busted up laughing.

I've been stuck in dresses at a dressing room so many times. One time my friend I went vintage shopping and this store we had gone to was going to close in about ten minutes. I found a really cute 1950s dress that I thought I could fit in. So I went to try it on and it was very clear that after I got it over my head that I was not going to get this dress over the rest of my body. So I was trying to get it off and realized that I was stuck. I was getting really worried because I realized that the store was closing soon. So I started calling out for my friend. When she finally came over, I told her that I was stuck in the dress and I needed help getting out it. So the two of us are trying desperately to get this dress over my head and then finally got it off. It was kind of funny because the sales people that were working there asked me if I was getting the dress and I told them, no. I think they were oblivious to what was going on the entire time. The cash register was not that far from the dressing room either.

I always seem to tell people this story. When I was in intermediate school, my teacher had us perform these plays that were based on Greek Myths. Well in my group's play there was this "chase scene". So my class mate was chasing me around and in the middle of the chase, my long hair got stuck in the music stand (where we had our scripts). The worst part of the entire class seeing this and laughing was the fact that my teacher was filming it too. So he would often show these videos to other classes too! My hair would often get stuck in chairs too. I've had short hair ever since the end of high school.

I've never had my skirt fly up over my head. So I guess the wind is my friend. For the moment.

Speaking of things falling down (darn gravity). I did however see a poor woman in church who was walking up to communion and her pants fell down.

A former co-worker of mine told me once that when she went to go see a play, there was this lady that was in a beautiful evening gown. Stuck to the bottom of her shoe was this trail of toilet paper. My co-worker felt so bad that she sneaked up behind her and stepped on the paper.

That happened to my mother once. I noticed it while we were walking around Big Bear. I just hope that I was the only one that saw that!

I don't feel so good now.....:eek:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
A former co-worker of mine told me once that when she went to go see a play, there was this lady that was in a beautiful evening gown. Stuck to the bottom of her shoe was this trail of toilet paper. My co-worker felt so bad that she sneaked up behind her and stepped on the paper.

I got lost doing that. I was on a school trip in Venice Italy and there was a man walking ahead of me with toilet paper stuck to his shoe. I think I was stomping after him for a good 10 minutes determined to get that toilet paper. When I finally managed to get it, I looked up and had no idea where I was.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Fortunately it was still early in the day and the school wasn't expecting me back at the hotel for several hours. I just wandered around until I found some familiar landmarks. I should have just tapped on the man's shoulder

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've had a button come loose in front of my classes before. Embarrassing enough in front of 40 people, but very embarrassing when notified it was unbuttoned after a 1.5 hour stretch of a course by a gentleman. :eek:

I now sew snaps near the important buttons, and when I can I wear a slip top or something underneath. I also do a last minute "coverage check" of all the important parts before I leave the office and once again before I enter the classroom.

I really don't want to see that kind of thing on my evaluations: "Teacher is not so good for content, but class is great when her top comes open." :eek:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
To Marie Anne - It's kind of funny that we feel we are saving them from embarrassment by taking care of the matter ourselves, but not thinking it's probably best just to say something to them. Like I told my mother. I hated to tell her that, but I had to look after her. :) Plus, I hate to know how many people must have seen that poor man with the toilet paper stuck under his shoe and just giggled to themselves. Glad you got back okay. I'm always worried that I ever travel in Europe I would get lost. "Ouuuu....Look at that pretty building. Oh look how tall that one is. Oh look at the detail on that one. Hmmmm....where am I?" I always joke with my friend that when I go on sight seeing tours, I look like I am having a divine intervention. lol

To Sheeplady - My mother told me something very interesting about buttons the other day. We were trying to date this dress I had purchased and she told me a good sign of an old dress is to see how close the buttons are to each other. I guess in time, it got to be cheaper to spread the buttons more apart. It's probably why we have so many wardrobe malfunctions. :p There's probably a space on our jackets or dresses where more buttons should be. :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I had a "Moment" the other day involving a wrap skirt and some unexpected wind. I'd never worn a wrap before and was so excited when it came in the mail that I didn't take the time to figure out proper wrap skirt wearing protocol. All was fine until I stopped by my work (a school) to pick up a check. Then, out comes a gush of wind and up flies the skirt. :eek:
Luckily, I was wearing a slip but still.... flashing my underthings in front of high-schoolers, no less!

Something similar happened to me some months ago - I had a kind of a circle skirt on and a gust of wind caught it to the rear and well you get the idea - not sure if anyone saw (luckily I had little short style briefs on) although I think I heard someone whooping - anyway I got back to the office quickly and sewed a couple of Euro coins into the hem to keep it down till I got home - it did the trick.....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh that's a good idea Miss G. I often wondered if they had invented something back in the day to counteract this problem. Or did some girls such sew weights into their skirt hems. I was actually tempted to clip one of those garden tablecloth weights to the bottom of my skirt the other day as it was really blowing a gale and i really hate showing my legs off to all and sundry!

Today i sat outside my shop for a cup of tea. We have an old well outside with a little flowerbed in front of it and a little low brick wall, so as it was sunny my boss and i perched on it for a natter. I had a linen skirt on with button s down the front, anyway she pointed at my skirt and to my horror at least four of the buttons were open, showing my slip to who knows how many passers by! As we had been gassing away for about five minutes i hate to think how many people saw me like that!(At least i was wearing a slip though)!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
To Sheeplady - My mother told me something very interesting about buttons the other day. We were trying to date this dress I had purchased and she told me a good sign of an old dress is to see how close the buttons are to each other. I guess in time, it got to be cheaper to spread the buttons more apart. It's probably why we have so many wardrobe malfunctions. :p There's probably a space on our jackets or dresses where more buttons should be. :)

I would believe it- most of my modern shirts seem to need "button help." I'd also believe that the buttonholes were better sized back then, so they didn't slip out as easily. I also think the bust area has gotten smaller while the waist area has gotten bigger on most blouses/ dresses. I don't think that helps the wardrobe malfunctions, either!

The other day my hat blew off in a parking lot walking to the bus thanks to a sudden gust of wind. My hairpin's end is now lost, but I am giving myself credit for amazing reflexes to catch it before it went out in the road.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Ahhh!! I had been looking for those! Found out that the end of a hat pin is called a clutch. I found some online. I think stick pins have the same kind of end.

I almost lost one my hats due to some high winds too. I don't know why I didn't wear a hat pin. I have some. My sister got me some nice ones for Christmas last year. :) I guess whenever I go out, I don't always plan for wind!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
...anyway I got back to the office quickly and sewed a couple of Euro coins into the hem to keep it down till I got home - it did the trick.....

I gotta get me some Euro coins, Canadian coins are too darn thin lol

High winds and hats don't mix. I was wearing a gorgeous mink beret one windy afternoon while crossing a busy intersection, the kind where there is a small island between the right-turn lane and the rest of the road. Doesn't a big gust come as I'm crossing the road and blow my poor hat into the right turn lane! I nearly became a speed bump trying to fetch it.
To add insult to injury, my brother's stupid friend made the "you have a dead animal on your head" comment once I made it home. Har de har har...

Last edited:

crwritt

One Too Many
On a stormy night last winter we were in town crossing a major street. I saw what I thought was an animal running down the sidewalk. It was moving strangely, then stopped moving.When I got close enough, I realized it was not an animal, but a beautiful black fur collar.Its owner was nowhere in sight.I took it home and cleaned it, found that it fit my old leather coat,I sewed it on and just love wearing it.
So I guess I could compare my fur collar to roadkill!

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
On a stormy night last winter we were in town crossing a major street. I saw what I thought was an animal running down the sidewalk. It was moving strangely, then stopped moving.When I got close enough, I realized it was not an animal, but a beautiful black fur collar.Its owner was nowhere in sight.I took it home and cleaned it, found that it fit my old leather coat,I sewed it on and just love wearing it.
So I guess I could compare my fur collar to roadkill!

lol!!! I love this story!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Have to revive the thread for this one... a few weeks ago I had worn one of my vintage 1950s cotton day dresses to work. I bent down to pick something up - not even stretching really - and I felt something "give way." Yep, my dress had split WIDE OPEN - all the way down the side seam, from the underarm to below the waist. :D Fortunately I was wearing a full slip. I kept my arm clutched down to my side while I explained to my boss that I needed to run home and change clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner