Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Moments

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I've had my fair share of embarassing moments which involve the dreaded hold ups. A few weeks ago one of them decided to lose the will to live (the glue became unsticky and refused to stay attached to my leg) so I hobbled about all evening clutching it and trying to prevent it from falling to my ankle. I've had them become loose before and yes it is awkward to try and discreetly pull it up again but that's usually the end of that. Not this time! My friend said I reminded him of Hyacinth Bucket, hobbling around Knightsbridge clutching my dress lol

Another horrible situation occured while I was walking up the emergency staircase in the tube. That particular station is always ridiculously windy so I was clutching my dress down as tightly as I could as there were people behind me. Unfortunately a huge gust of wind caught me off guard and blew my entire dress *over my head* showing everyone behind me my stockings, garters and cupcake print knickers! :eek: I went bright red and couldn't get out of that station fast enough!

Hehe I'm just having a terrible day today I think!

I decided to wear my new dress, complete with refitted zip, lovely, thought I. Ah no, I'm wearing hold ups & and am so scared because when I walk, my dress rides up for some bizarre reason. I also work in an office in a factory, up a massive staircase, if there is anyone under the stars when I'm going up them, they'll get a real eyeful!!

I did remember underwear today though so it's not as bad as it could be...

D

Deleted member 3716

dollydaydream said:
I decided to wear my new dress, complete with refitted zip, lovely, thought I. Ah no, I'm wearing hold ups & and am so scared because when I walk, my dress rides up for some bizarre reason.

try wearing a slip under it?
usually works.

melbournian

New in Town
I was wearing a vintage inspired, circular cut skirt (all the better for swing dancing in!) one day while in the city. As I stepped out of the train a huge gust of wind blew the skirt completely up and into my face, giving 9 other platforms of commuters a good view of my smalls (luckily I was actually going dancing that night, and had put on a pair of modest red netball knickers in case my skirt did fly up).

TackyAnnie

New in Town
Stocking Disasters

dollydaydream said:
I had a stupily amusing experience this morning & it got me thinking about embarrassing moments in relation to various vintage clothing...things.

What do you do if you ‘loose’ a stocking??? This morning whilst I was walking down the road, my hold up started falling down! When I got to the bus stop (where someone was waiting) I tried to discreetly hitch up my skirt & adjust the offending item. How discreetly this can be done on a main road at a bus stop I’m not sure. lol

Has anyone else had embarrassing moments like this? What did you do?

I definately had a similar incident not too long ago. I found these stockings at Nordstrom that were perfect! I was really excited about them because the leg band had the same sort of plastic that manufacturers put on the band of strapless "foundations". I think.. "excellent.. no garter belt..." Oh was I wrong. I should have taken a cue from the reality that strapless foundations.. never stay. Anyway, I danced for 15 seconds tops and had to do a little penguin walk to the powder room.... oops!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I had a stupily amusing experience this morning & it got me thinking about embarrassing moments in relation to various vintage clothing...things.

What do you do if you ‘loose’ a stocking??? This morning whilst I was walking down the road, my hold up started falling down! When I got to the bus stop (where someone was waiting) I tried to discreetly hitch up my skirt & adjust the offending item. How discreetly this can be done on a main road at a bus stop I’m not sure. lol

Has anyone else had embarrassing moments like this? What did you do?

This is why I never wear hold ups: cue, my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary at a local hotel function room. They walk in to us all yelling surprise... except yours truely who's fleeing to the bathroom clutching her knees to keep her hold-ups up. I spend the rest of the night periodically pawing my thighs, which isn't fun to do when you're trying to dance and have a good time :eek:

olive bleu

One Too Many
I had a voluminous skirt once blow up over head coming out of church..and walked out of a washroom with my skirt tucked into my panties while out for lunch with my uncle, who is a priest...:eek: I think I've paid my dues.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It could be worse, Dolly -- I recently flashed a stage full of musicians and about a third of a theatre audience my slip without even realizing it. I had to climb a backstage access ladder during a concert to reset a frozen thermostat -- and it was only after the show that someone mentioned that the angle was such that a good part of the house had a clear view of my undies as I went up.

I'm thinking of keeping a pair of overalls backstage for any future climbs.

kerry

One of the Regulars
In the 80's I was trying on a dress in a one of those horrid communal changing rooms and decided to try one of those big elasticated belts on with it, the kind with the zip. I zipped it up, looked in the mirror and ping! It shot about 10 foot across the room:eek:

Folly

One of the Regulars
My husband and I (really, I'm not the Queen!) once went to a very badly thought out 1940's event. There were a handful of people dressed up, but for the most part, everyone else there didn't have a clue why there were about twenty people, the women in hats and wearing gloves and the men in military gear or suits, wandering about.

In a field were military vehicles and we wandered over to have a look. It was a very cold and very windy March day .. can you see where this is going? As my husband was poking about an army jeep, a huge gust of wind blew my dress up around my waist at the EXACT moment that two men wandered by and got a full view of my charming underwear ensemble - seamed stockings, the whole shebang :eek: Mortified, I pulled my dress back down, as one of the men gave me a very cheeky smile and remarked, "Nice to meet you."

I still cringe to this day and once home immediately started plotting to make myself a petticoat.

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I think that gusts of wind must be a vintage girls worst enemy. I've had my skirts blown over my head many times, to show off my stockings to the street.

The most embarassing moment of my life so far has to be once when I was out of town for the day visiting a friend. I was wearing a skirt with a slit at the back, and half way through the day, the slit ripped & started to unravel all the way up to my backside. I had to try & hold the back of my skirt together for 3 hours, much to the amusement of everyone I was with, as I was flashing my undergarments at people.

All of these stories sound like they're straight out of Elvgren's pin-up pictures lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Probably the worst for me was when I popped a seam in one of my stockings at the QM and had to change into a new pair...in my car!

Who knows if anyone saw, but it probably looked rather suspicious when my boyfriend had his head up my skirt trying to fix my garters for me. The car was so cramped I had to get out to do the garters, and when I realized that I couldn't do it myself without flashing the entire world, my poor boyfriend had to do it.

Let's pray no one saw!

pin_up_pixie

New in Town
Just yesterday at Disneyland I had joined some friends for lunch and as I went to take a seat, the chair broke and I ended up flat on the floor! The seat part of the chair had come apart, and no one thought to remove it, or warn me, including the woman that was sitting there before me. Well I went down and my skirt went up, giving the whole patio a nice view of my underpinnings. The staff was very nice, asking me if I was hurt. Luckily I only had a busied bottom, and ego.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Not that embarrassing, but I wore a dress today that has ties in the side seams that tie in back. After I got home today, I realized that I'd been walking around all day at work with the ties untied and just hanging down at my sides.

zaika

One Too Many
first day of high school, my mom drove me to school, dropped me off at the curb near the front. and socially awkward me sees a group of really cute boys, and...i didn't see that i had to step UP on the curb...and ended up falling flat on my face. i spent the day with a bloody knee and ripped stockings. lol

my mom had a good story. this was before i was born. right before a performance at a music festival, she had to use the bathroom. little did she know that she had tucked her skirt into her pantyhose and spent the entire set unaware that she was flashing the audience whenever she wasn't completely faced towards them. why no one risked whispering in her ear is beyond me...poor mom! lol

jayem

A-List Customer
Lola Valentine said:
I think that gusts of wind must be a vintage girls worst enemy.

They were definitely Marilyn Monroe's best friend!

I have a few. Some are gross, so faint of heart please avert your eyes.

I have a nasty habit of pealing off my nail polish with my teeth. It's a nervous habit, really, but nasty nonetheless. Once during class, I pealed all my red polish off. A boy in my class, asked me something and I gave him an answer and smiled. He looked horrified, and I asked what was wrong. He told me that my mouth was bleeding like crazy, so I ran to the bathroom. Needless to say, I didn't return to class that day.

The problem with the big 50's skirts is I always seem to get them stuck in places. Once, I wore a beautiful cream skirt with a black sweater top, petticoats and all. While driving, I must've shut the door on my skirt. It was a pretty day out, but it had snowed a week earlier so everything was all melted, mushy, and black. When I got out of the car, a nice little corner of my beautiful cream skirt was black with street mush.

I think everyone on this board has broken a heal, and made a very ungraceful tumble at least once.

This is the worst. My friends mom loves to tell this story. After a woman has a baby, she has no idea when her...um... monthly visitor. will come next, since there's really little to no signs. Why she decided to wear white pants during this time frame, I have no idea. But, it was the 80s, and tight white pants were all the rage. She was waiting in line at this place called Johnny's Beef here (very popular, long lines like crazy), and she was wondering WHY people were keeping their distance from her and looking at her funny. SHE vainly figured it was because she hadn't lost all her baby weight and looked 'fat' in her old clothing. When she got home, she had a big blood stain on the back of her blazingly white pants. I don't think she's been to Johnny's since.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I usually manage to flash people my suspenders without realising - it's when I wear a full skirt, because I usually need to carry a pretty large bag it makes my skirt ride up on the side that I'm carrying it on... usually to just above my stocking top, and I'm often completely clueless.

The one day I'd only realised because I heard a man say 'suspenders' to his friend in passing.

xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner