Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English hunting jacket (?) edit: Norfolk Jacket

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm really pleased with this.

It's an English hunting jacket (actually, this is my question: IS it a hunting jacket, or something else?) made by Barlows of England. It's about 40-ish years old and has never been worn. And it fits me perfectly... :D
It's incredibly heavy, warm and quite stiff - it's like wearing tweed armour!

img4282d.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

img4283b.jpg

img4284a.jpg

img4285q.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous jacket. Ideal for shooting pheasant (not that I condone killing a living creature for sport, so do make sure you make a nice dinner of it ;) )... or, of course, long walks in the country. I may well be wrong, but I suspect that the reinforced panels in the shoulder are designed with the use of a shotgun in mind. Here is a very similar jacket being worn (not by me) with a full outfit:

253243_2171857808725_1015158454_2550107_8062913_n.jpg

(I genuinely don't know how young Rupert managed this - it was over thirty degrees Celsius in London last weekend!) For the most tradition, mid-Twentieth Century look (I believe Rupert is more Edwardian here), I would pair with a nice deerstalker (never in town, of course).

davidraphael

Practically Family
A deer stalker is a great idea.
I do also like the idea of an Edwardian get-up - or perhaps even earlier: It appears that Norfolks became very popular in the 1860s...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nothing wrong with horn (?) but you might wish to upgrade the buttons..................

2837235285_6b0e9e8121_o.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
yes, indeed. those are the kinds of buttons I would prefer, especially the fatter, quartered design.

As nice as the buttons Tomasso posted are, I would keep the original buttons in your position. I always find it a shame to alter original things where it isn't completely necessary.

Nice jacket though. I think Edward's probably right about the padded shoulders being there to make it easier to shoot a shotgun. I have a tweed hacking jacket with leather shoulders to prevent a shotgun slipping, and whilst I have no use for this I think it adds character to the jacket.

budrichard

Familiar Face
Usually shooting jackets do not have a belt with buckle in the front to avoid interference with a shotgun or rifle. If there is a belt it's usually a half belt.
The reason for the double layer of fabric on the shoulders is to provide more protection from rain as 40 years ago the semi-permeable liners of today were just a dream.
Nice jacket on the whole but I really believe it was designed for walking in wet rough country in cold weather conditions.-Dick
BTW, I would also keep the original buttons for the previously Posted sentiment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany