Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etiquette question...

chum

Familiar Face
I wear my fedora to work and I am a "copier repair man"! I have my hands full until I actually get to the machine I am working on so, I can't take it off until then. Is this improper?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hat etiquette was that a man removed his hat when he was indoors, but I guess if you can't take it off 'cause your hands are occupied, there's not much else you can do. But certainly remove it before you start your work!

I say no, it isn't improper to leave your hat atop your head while your hands are occupied with tools boxes, etc.

These days, few people have any idea whatsoever as to "proper" etiquette in regard to when and when not to wear one's hat anyway.

I'd go so far as to say that even back in the era when many (most?) men routinely wore hats, leaving a hat atop one's head while one's hands were busy hauling tool boxes would have been deemed appropriate by reasonable people. I mean, there are practical considerations.

Silke

New in Town
I feel bad when I keep my hat on while grocery shopping, but it can be a hassle trying to carry it while carrying other things. And sometimes it feels like it would be improper to unleash what's hiding under the hat after a stressy walk. So it tends to stay on under those circumstances, I'm sure you're more excused than I am for keeping it on.

chum

Familiar Face
Silke said:
I feel bad when I keep my hat on while grocery shopping, but it can be a hassle trying to carry it while carrying other things. And sometimes it feels like it would be improper to unleash what's hiding under the hat after a stressy walk. So it tends to stay on under those circumstances, I'm sure you're more excused than I am for keeping it on.

Grocery store to me would be the same as on the street...tip your hat when necessary, but leave it on otherwise.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Widebrim,

You guys are all great!

I had to come in to work early this morning ... Saturday ... I am salaried, so the pay won't change due to this.

It is 3 degrees outside and the 5 inches of snow has turned into blocks of ice.

I want to run away to Copan, Honduras and get warm.

And then I read your reference to Disorder in the Court.

Take off your hat

Put your hand on the Bible

Raise your right hand

TAKE OFF YOUR HAT

and on and on

I laughed out loud.

Where else could this happen on the Net early on Saturday morning.

Thanks, and God bless!

Samlol

chum

Familiar Face
JUDGE "Would you please start paying attention and drop the vernacular!"

CURLY "That's no vernacular! That's a Derby!"

or something like that...:D

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
It reminds me of two exceptions to saluting a superior officer in the service: 1. If you are carrying something with both hands, it is obviously not rendered; 2. If you are on work detail, the first to see said officer salutes, while the others go on working.

There's a military exception to removing your hat indoors, also. When "Under Arms." When you need to have your hands free. There's an exception to the exception. You are expected to remove your hat, in a chapel, even while Under Arms.

theinterchange

One Too Many
chum said:
JUDGE "Would you please start paying attention and drop the vernacular!"

CURLY "That's no vernacular! That's a Derby!"

or something like that...:D

No it's a "doiby" ;)

I don't remove my hat in stores, but typically do when sitting down for dinner out unless my hat runs the risk of being damaged in any way shape or form.

Back in the day, hats were a commodity, now the price I pay for my hats warrants being a bit more careful when it comes to preserving their pristineness.

Randy

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Silke said:

I consider a store to be a public place, like a hotel lobby, train station, airport, etc. Besides, where would you put your hat in the grocery store if you removed it - not in the cart. Too many kids with leaky diapers have been riding in those things...

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I seem to remember this being discussed in great detail a while back, and the concensus was that if you are inside in "public" places wearing a hat is acceptable.
I walk into work in my hat, and remove it at the same time as my coat, before sitting down.

Certainly I think keeping that hat on whilst carrying tools etc, would be beyond reproach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24