Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evening Attire Advice HELP!!

Nashoba

One Too Many
Hi everyone!
I'm new here, I've been quietly lurking for a while though, and I love all your posts..I absolutely adore the styles from the 1930's - about the late 1950's. Really the golden era is where my love for fashion is. I wish our clothes now were more classy like they were then...sigh.
I actually had a question...really more of a pondering. I was thinking about wearing gloves with my dress to the Marine Corps Ball this year. I've gone retro for the past several years because I think it's classier and in many ways more modest than some of the dresses I've seen people show up in. I also got sick of people showing up in the same dress :). I'm making the dress it's a 1930's pattern but I'm adding a bit of a modern twist. I chose an irridecent smokey blue to red taffetta fabric flocked with black velvet flowers, super pretty. The sleeves on the original pattern are a bit too flowy for me so I'm changing it to small cap sleeves. Anyway, bit of a tangent there sorry. My issue is that what do I do about my jewelry with the gloves???? Specifically my rings? Do I just not wear them or should I wear them underneath and take my gloves off at some point? I hate to say it but my wedding rings aren't very small. The center stone is set high and I always thought it looked funny under the gloves. But I thought it would look bad or even tacky to wear my rings over the gloves not to mention I'd never get them on. And what about bracelets? should I wear something over the gloves or should I just forego the jewely on my hands and wrists altogether...I'm seriously starting to fret about this!!! HELP!!!! I'm kind of known for my vintage looks for the Ball (I have a fully lined hooded Black Velvet Cloak that I wear every year that is just amazing! Took me forever to make, i was terrified to cut into the velvet because the velvet cost me a small fortune) that just adds this wonderful elegence to the whole picture but I've shied away from the gloves because I don't like to not wear my wedding rings, they're the most beautiful piece of jewelry I own.
sigh. HELP!!!

Nashoba

Nashoba

One Too Many
It is permissible then! If I can just figure out how to shove my rings on over the gloves!!!lol I wanted to wear gloves with my Prom Dress years ago but my mother said it looked tacky and wouldn't let me so for some reason I've been afraid to. Kind of silly but some things stick with you I guess.
4270simplic.bmp

this is the dress. I'm going to make the pink one on the right hand side, but I'm a bit on the short side (I'm 5'2") and I have a small frame so I think the sleeves would look ridiculous on me. I have another dress that has sleeves like that and it looks okay, but I think I'm going to change the sleeves to be small cap sleeves or short sleeves like in the jacket...we'll see I havn't decided...but I was thinking of making black gloves (or being lazy and finding a pair) I'm thinking shinny satin gloves might be a bit much any suggestion for fabrics or materials??? Also how high should I go with the gloves...should I do ones that have rouching or should I go with the straight??? AHHH too many choices!!!! geez I'm so clueless!
Nash

Nashoba

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Wearing rings and bracelets over the gloves looks nice. It sounds as though you will have a great time. In Tennessee... anywhere near Clarksville?

Ashley

My husband was up near Clarksville today! I live in Spring Hill, we're about 30 minutes south of Nashville, which makes us about an hour and a half to Ft. Campbell so yeah, pretty close to there. Is that where you are?
Nash

Vanessa

One Too Many
My Gramma (and great-Gramma P) always said never to wear rings over your gloves. A bracelet would be ok if not removing the gloves to eat at all.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Rings under, bracelets over...

I've worn gloves to formal events (including my wedding) and have always done bracelets over, rings under. At some point in the evening you can always take the gloves off and dazzle them with that ring!

Honey Doll

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek: I didn't read the post completely to see that it's wedding rings we're talking about, I'm so embarrassed! The ring type I wear over a glove is that big ol' funky huge ring with a large stone. I have about 5 of them from the 50s I think. My mom said they were designed to be worn over long gloves.
(My brother and sister-in-law teach at Austin Peay :) )

Nashoba

One Too Many
Vanessa said:
My Gramma (and great-Gramma P) always said never to wear rings over your gloves. A bracelet would be ok if not removing the gloves to eat at all.

Now that I think about it mine said that too....I think I'll just leave them off for the night, I hate that bulge underneath the gloves. That and my wedding band isn't much lower than my engagement ring. My rings have a stair step pattern and are little on the high side...I love them but they're next to impossible to wear gloves with. Thanks so much for all the advice ladies!!! I really appreciate it.
Nash

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24