Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever heard of the Major Jim Goodson Limited Edition A-2 ?

Stony

New in Town
His book "Tumult in the Clouds" is my favorite of all of the 8th AAF autobiographies. He's not just a true American hero, but one of the reasons why the 4th Fighter Group was one of the two most successful in the ETO. I suspect that the issue is planes destroyed in the air (14 or 15) versus total destroyed (air and ground). Goodson was one of the best strafers and as far as I am concerned, that duty was every bit or more hazardous. The 30 swastikas painted on his P-51 were very much deserved.

Yes, strafing was very dangerous work, but the P-51 was ill suited for the job. The P-47 was much more up to the task and that was made evident by the creation of the 9th AF to handle the support of the D-day invasion by ordering them to destroy anything that moved on the ground.
As for credit for the "ground" victories, the AAF told the fighter pilots that they'd give them credit for those, because most pilots knew how dangerous it was to go NOE (nape of the earth). The AAF retracted those at the end of the war and took the "ground" kills away from their totals.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is insulting to the memory of this American hero that such a poor quality A2 should bear his name and is used to sell the jacket!!!

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
aswatland said:
It is insulting to the memory of this American hero that such a poor quality A2 should bear his name and is used to sell the jacket!!!

Yes, Andrew.....I agree with you 100% about attaching the memory of this hero to such a questionable "A-2"!!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think the Goodson A-2 is half as good as the $400 jackets. Still a bargain and it comes with a good book.;) It was still more accurate than a lot of cheap "A-2s" I've seen.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

aswatland

The Wolf said:
I think the Goodson A-2 is half as good as the $400 jackets. Still a bargain and it comes with a good book.;) It was still more accurate than a lot of cheap "A-2s" I've seen.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Well I for one will not be splashing out on this jacket!

A2_Junkie

New in Town
kools said:
The jacket arrived, and I'm not impressed. Most notable is the cheap thin leather & poor cut (real low armholes). I don't know anything about authenticity in A-2s, but this isn't a jacket I'm excited about wearing.

So...I suppose there was that awkward silence that comes from receiving a disapointing gift from someone who you dearly love. ;)

"Oh, hey, this is...nice...really...has um...a zipper...and this looks to be..er...leather..."

It's nice that she knows and understands your A-2 interests. There are wives who don't.

-Peter

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
I've got the Goodson A-2. It's a Spiewak, or Dubow pattern

I just got an account here. . . .
This jacket Goodson is more authentic in pattern than people think. And the second "Goodson" A-2 jacket marketed. I purchased one of these A-2s' from of all people, JC Whitney (yuk, yuk that a source for an A-2). This finish has an acid tanning wash to make it look "weathered". That by itself is stupid. However, this leaves the hide ready for dyeing. For $30.00, I had it dyed and a finish applied to MY color specs' (russet). And replaced the zipper. I have a scanned photo of my uncle in his A-2, he was a Fighter Pilot in the 81st FG. I'll get some pix ASAP posted. Guess what, it looks just like his. Also, you must understand that these pilots didn't go to a "jacket boutique". Just guess your size and pull it out of the size box/crate. More bubble busting: I was at Boeing for 11 months working on the 787 Dreamliner Program. Being a ex-government SAR pilot, who soloed at 16, it was Mecca, and I frequented the Boeing Museum of Flight, many original A-2's on display. Guess what boys. . . none of them, in quality, would pass muster with the A-2 modern day "experts".

Sorry to sterilize the high-end A-2 market.

Just like Sky King: "Out of the blue of the western sky". Mountain Pilot, Golden, Colorado

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mountain Pilot said:
I purchased one of these A-2s' from of all people, JC Whitney (yuk, yuk that a source for an A-2).
At least there wasn't a tacky truckstop American Eagle silkscreened on the back, or Yosemite Sam saying BACK OFF. :D

This finish has an acid tanning wash to make it look "weathered". That by itself is stupid. However, this leaves the hide ready for dyeing. For $30.00, I had it dyed and a finish applied to MY color specs' (russet). And replaced the zipper. I have a scanned photo of my uncle in his A-2, he was a Fighter Pilot in the 81st FG. I'll get some pix ASAP posted. Guess what, it looks just like his.
Pretty good shootin' then...Show us some pix if you care to. Might be educational.

Also, you must understand that these pilots didn't go to a "jacket boutique". Just guess your size and pull it out of the size box/crate.
Legend has it that the young misters were lined up shoulder to shoulder and had the things thrown at them like dodgeballs. I guess you traded around till you got a decent fit.

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
Still have my 1994 Goodson "Protech" A-2 from base supply

I purchased mine in 94 from Peterson AFB. As A-2s' go it's still a VERY good pattern. Stand-upcollar, pockets off-set enough from front. It was only ~$200.00. This was a time before the cheap knock-offs and before the overpriced top-end market. These were mainly sold to military types, before the "enthusiasts" came. The more recent "Goodson" jacket isn't the same pattern. Check out my other posting on the recent "Goodson" jacket.

Stony

New in Town
and I frequented the Boeing Museum of Flight

:eusa_doh:

Sorry to tell you this, but the Museum of Flight "does not" belong to Boeing, nor is it part of Boeing. How do I know this? Because I work there. Sorry to sound so sour about your statement, but it's a big bone of contention with the employees that work there when some says that.
As for the A-2s on display at the museum, I'd take one of those over the Goodson A-2 any day. You should see the flight jackets that are not on display. There are some good ones.

Stony

New in Town
By the way, "Hopps and Props" was great.

This was the 3rd year for "Hops and Props" and it is a growing sucess. As for the rest of the flight jackets being on display, I'll see what I can do to facilitate that.

CSG

Familiar Face
Bringing this topic back as I just came across it while googling Protech. I bought one of their A2's back in the late 80's at the Mesa Air Museum. If this is junk, I'm the last guy to know it. It's a good pattern, well-made with good leather, and only one or two small details missing (like an inside coat loop and liner material not being correct to WWII era). It has served me well for about 20 years now and looks great.

aswatland

CSG said:
Bringing this topic back as I just came across it while googling Protech. I bought one of their A2's back in the late 80's at the Mesa Air Museum. If this is junk, I'm the last guy to know it. It's a good pattern, well-made with good leather, and only one or two small details missing (like an inside coat loop and liner material not being correct to WWII era). It has served me well for about 20 years now and looks great.

Welcome to the forum. The late '80s jackets were far more accurate than the current Goodson Limited edition. Do yoy have some pics of your jacket for other members to see?

CSG

Familiar Face
I'd have to take some photos and upload them. Can I put them on the FL server? I don't see a place to upload them here and I'm not sure it's worth the bother to go open an account elsewhere to upload a picture of a jacket.

aswatland

CSG said:
I'd have to take some photos and upload them. Can I put them on the FL server? I don't see a place to upload them here and I'm not sure it's worth the bother to go open an account elsewhere to upload a picture of a jacket.

You can use a free web photo hosting site such as Photobucket. I think you have to make a certain number of posts here before you can upload photos.

CSG

Familiar Face
Well, perhaps one day I will be able to upload a photo of the jacket here then. I have no interest in creating an account at another site to upload photos.

Thanks for the info though.

aswatland

CSG said:
Well, perhaps one day I will be able to upload a photo of the jacket here then. I have no interest in creating an account at another site to upload photos.

Thanks for the info though.

Photobucket is actually free. Without such a facility you will not be able to upload pictures easily on this forum. Members particularly enjoy sharing pictures of their jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner