Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Signs of the Decline of Civilization

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Varietas delectat

I am delighted to see ALL the variations of beauties.
There are 14 minorities with self governance in Hungary.
Gypsies, Germans, Slovaks, Romanians, Serbs, Croats, Slovenes, Armenian, Greek, Bulgarian, Polish, Rusyn, Italian, etc.
Besides we have ethnic groups who are now accounted to the Hungarians with Turkish blood (Cumans) and Iranian (Yaziges).

You have a real melting pot indeed.

metropd

One Too Many
All of my Family from my Dad's side is from Hungry. I went to Budapest to have my Bar Mitzvah. My full name is Nikolai Tibor Engel just to prove my Hungarian blood.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More off topic and then back on.

I had a good friend whose name was Ernie Smith. He was a major jazz authority, and his jazz film collection is now part of the Smithsonian's collection. Anyway his father came from Hungary some time before 1920. He changed his name to Smith, and Ernie never knew what his real Hungarian name was, or who his relatives were. Hungary, land of mystery!
BTW, while we're wandering around off topic, I saw a wonderful movie about Hungary in the late 1950's called "Time Stands Still". Highly recommended, especially to Paul Anka fans.
Now, back to topic. One COULD argue that those lovely young tarts . . . err ladies . . . could be considered examples of the ADVANCEMENT of civilization. They could be seen as trashy low class creeps (not to use judgmental language, or anything. Don't want to called a SNOB!) who are being exposed to the classier side of life! Maybe the experience will make them more sensitive individuals! Let's see how these broads . . . err . . . demoiselles . . . dress next year!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
Now, back to topic. One COULD argue that those lovely young tarts . . . err ladies . . . could be considered examples of the ADVANCEMENT of civilization. They could be seen as trashy low class creeps (not to use judgmental language, or anything. Don't want to called a SNOB!) who are being exposed to the classier side of life! Maybe the experience will make them more sensitive individuals!

A fascinating twist. You, sir, are an imaginative man. I like it. It might even be true.

The Jerry Springer Effect

Warbaby said:
Yeah, but how do you explain the concept of "pimp" to a 7 year old? Or worse, what do you say when your 7 year old says. "Mommy, can I be a pimp for Halloween?
Actually, the kid won't ask to be a pimp he'll either demand to be one or one parent will think it is "cute" and suggest it as part of the Jerry Springer Effect.

Dr Doran

I did not know what prostitution was until junior high school. Someone tried explaining it to me in elementary school and I didn't get it. I met my first pimp when I was misspending my youth on Hollywood Boulevard at 16, hanging out with the street punks. I met a guy who said "If I had a girlfriend, I'd have her working the streets so I could get some dough and not have to squat." Another pimp I met was the boyfriend of an incredibly naive girl who worked in the organic food store with me in the very early 2000s. Someone asked her what her older boyfriend did for a living and she was honest about it. She said he didn't want to pimp her out. Someone suggested to her that perhaps after he is sick of her, she will end up working for him. This girl's naivete ("but he's nice to me! He's totally cool! He buys me stuff!) led her to even wear a fake gold tooth. The guy was clearly not a good person.

So after meeting scum like that, the subject of pimping is no joke to me. I think it's very sad. (Which I guess all of you do, too, hence this thread.)

Miss 1929

Miss Neecerie said:
One of the signs of the Decline of Civilization is standing around kvetching about the decline of Civilization.

Which people have been doing since the dawn of civilization... I know there are inscriptions inside the pyramids in Egypt that basically say "Kids today..."

Doran said:
So after meeting scum like that, the subject of pimping is no joke to me. I think it's very sad. (Which I guess all of you do, too, hence this thread.)

It is indeed. No matter if it is the world's oldest profession, holding the line on it is better than slouching towards Gomorrah.
Forgetting standards and living without shame certainly contributes to the decline. I am sure I don't have to mention the civilizations that went right down the toilet doing as such. You could probably list several that I have never heard of.
I refer George Santayana's Life of Reason to those who think otherwise. :rolleyes: :D

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
I refer George Santayana's Life of Reason to those who think otherwise. :rolleyes: :D

I don't know that work. (Although I of course know who Santayana was.)

A summary would be delightful, Mr Powers.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
One of the signs of the Decline of Civilization is standing around kvetching about the decline of Civilization.
I'm sitting, but my mom said Dear Abby used to regularly run the piece about 'kids today' and then surprise readers that it was written in Ancient Greece.
Is it so wrong to want something better? I'm glad we're complaining.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
patrick1987 said:
I'm sitting, but my mom said Dear Abby used to regularly run the piece about 'kids today' and then surprise readers that it was written in Ancient Greece.
Is it so wrong to want something better? I'm glad we're complaining.

No, its not wrong to complain. But it is, in my personal opinion wrong to complain and mock and not get off ones ass to help change the world.

But I would ask this question. How many of us do -anything- to help? For example, if one objects to the idea that there are prostitutes out there being used by pimps, have we donated to the organizations that help give the ladies a new chance at life?

How many of us (besides Doran and other teachers) do a darned thing to -mentor- youth and be a good example for them? How do you think they -might- change with no decent examples.

It's very easy peasy to sit around here complaining, and much harder to help. And writing it off as 'someone elses job' is a cop out...if you don't want to help make it better, then don't complain that it isn't better yet.

Doran said:
I don't know that work. (Although I of course know who Santayana was.)

A summary would be delightful, Mr Powers.

Oh sure put the onus on the non-academic. :p
In essence, the misquoted remark, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it," from Reason in Common Sense, the first volume of his The Life of Reason is what I was referring to.
I am suprised you have not read him as he was an aphorist. ;) His works are some of the greatest works in modern philosophy. His five volumes of the aforementioned tome were written betweeen 1905-1906 and still rings true today---especially when compared to the modern sophistry that exists today calling it self philosophy. :rolleyes:

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
No, its not wrong to complain. But it is, in my personal opinion wrong to complain and mock and not get off ones ass to help change the world.

But I would ask this question. How many of us do -anything- to help? For example, if one objects to the idea that there are prostitutes out there being used by pimps, have we donated to the organizations that help give the ladies a new chance at life?

How many of us (besides Doran and other teachers) do a darned thing to -mentor- youth and be a good example for them? How do you think they -might- change with no decent examples.

It's very easy peasy to sit around here complaining, and much harder to help. And writing it off as 'someone elses job' is a cop out...if you don't want to help make it better, then don't complain that it isn't better yet.
I'm hoping that I am doing something to help with the other 20-year-olds I know as friends, but it's difficult to say that without sounding priggish or self-important. See, I don't like talking about my paid and volunteer work whether I'm online or in person. I'm sure most of the Lounge members do good works with out any one else knowing about it. There, now you've made me say it.
I don't think by reposting published pictures that anyone's mocking; that's already been done in the original article. I enjoyed most of the ladies' attire, anyway. Many of them looked lovely and feminine no matter what their age or class, whatever that means.

Dr Doran

Thanks, Powers. I have read a bit of his work, but not that book.

Tough questions, Neecerie. One problem or confusing point in all of this is whether it is indeed always immoral or wrong to commit prostitution. An ex-girlfriend of mine studied prostitution from a sociological angle (she is now in grad school) and, one semester, did some, ahhh, applied research on the topic. This was before I knew her. She ended up saying that she never felt exploited, never felt cheated, and made enough money that semester to travel southern Europe for the entire summer. So in this case, she made her own choice. No pimps. I suspect that in places like Amsterdam, there may well be many women who do this. They do not need pimps because it is not illegal. And they are not desperate for cash because there is a socialized medicine system and other redistribution schemes so few people are truly desperately poor there.

However, it is certainly true that the majority of prostitutes in America and probably the world do NOT possess much personal agency and are desperate and in many cases, too young to make such a grave decision. I think my ex would say that as long as the trade is not illegal and the living conditions are OK, it is not immoral as these persons have the right to do what they want. But if there are pimps (hopefully not dressed like that little goon) and beatings and jailtime, then it's a pretty bad deal.

Just a few thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy