Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever seen one of these?

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
It is an Audio Industries "Cascade" model portable record player, radio, and record cutter. I found it 11 years ago and just finished refurbishing it. All of the functions work - radio, player, and cutter (from the radio or the microphone stored in a side compartment)

Picture009.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Nice looking unit. Have you played with the cutter feature at all? I've always thought it would be interesting to create my own records; that would probably be an expensive hobby though.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
Nice looking unit. Have you played with the cutter feature at all? I've always thought it would be interesting to create my own records; that would probably be an expensive hobby though.
The discs are not expensive.

Yes, I cut one disc, parts from the radio, parts from the microphone. I'll do some more, maybe if I can get some neighboring kids to sing, or some such thing.

By the way, the player/cutter by General Industries, one of the major supliers of turntables and turntable motors to many radio companies, came out in 1938, so this thing probably dates to sometime between 1938 and WWII, although it could have been made after WWII.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
Hehehe! Reminds me of those "portable" tape recorders with the massive reels.:)

Heh! I got a couple of those! They belonged to my father. You open them up to expose the speakers, and then install reels that out-span the case! lol I'll get them out someday.

I've never seen anything like that Cascade, though! Intriquing!

Lee

59Lark

Practically Family
neat piece of machinery

That reminds of a 1930s dictaphone machine that operated with wire to record on that i passed up at a flea market twenty years ago , but if i bought everything neat item, i would still be single, and need a barn to store it all. The concept is neat, and i have seen something like that in a old movie. Cathredial radios so big, that they had legs, the front end of a edsel and several large reel to reel players all things that i had to pass on. 59 Lark. ps if i just passed on those two hundred sewing machines in my basement. it would a safer basement in case of tornadoes. :rage: :D

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
59Lark said:
That reminds of a 1930s dictaphone machine that operated with wire to record on that i passed up at a flea market twenty years ago , but if i bought everything neat item, i would still be single, and need a barn to store it all. The concept is neat, and i have seen something like that in a old movie. Cathredial radios so big, that they had legs, the front end of a edsel and several large reel to reel players all things that i had to pass on. 59 Lark. ps if i just passed on those two hundred sewing machines in my basement. it would a safer basement in case of tornadoes. :rage: :D

Two hundered sewing machines?!:eek: Send one(or five) to me please! My husband would be at boot camp he would never know!:D

Samantha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart