Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
My Grandmother Stella about 1940

Papa013.jpg

And her sister, Marie, around the same time.

Papa016.jpg

They both raised me along with my mom who was divorced...my GrandPapa was away on ship in the Navy.

Think:
3 Italian women, from New York...no man in the house the majority of the time...take the stereotype you are thinking of, run real far with it and that was the house I grew up in!
Let's just say I practice everyday at keeping my tongue bit lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, ladies, I got a bunch of goodies for you.
Starting with my Great Aunt, Rachel Dithridge, sitting by the sea, around 1935.
Rachelship1930.jpg

Here's Aunt Rachel with a friend, on board a ship headed for England, 1930.
Rachelfriendship1930.jpg

Left to right: Aunt Rachel, I don't know, Aunt Caroline, I don't know:
Auntsandfriends.jpg

The only one I know in this shot is at the far left, my mother's father's mother, Ellen Hilton, from Maine. However I do have a really neat shot of the rather stout lady at the far right, all done up in her beekeeping outfit. Gotta find that one.
EllenHiltonatal.jpg

My mom, on a rock, probably 1946.
REH1946rock.jpg

My mom and her mom, floating in inner tubes, probably around 1927.
REHEDHinnertubes.jpg

One more. This is from my grandmother's time in Labrador, teaching at the Grenfell Mission. This is, I believe, the lady who was the permanent teacher there, or possibly the other summer teacher, like my grandmother. Anyhow, she's obviously a lovely woman, and this is a lovely shot, way up on the wild coast of Labrador, in either 1915 or 1917.
OnthehillLabrador.jpg

Last edited:

crwritt

One Too Many
Thank You for the nice comments, Zombiegirl and Miss Sofia. I hadn't checked this thread in a while. I'll tell my Mom you said she looks elegant! She made that outfit, they were so young then, he was still in college,
she had just finished nursing school. He was sick in the hospital when she met him, and the Doctor gave him
permission to walk outside accompanied by "a Nurse".

I'm enjoying all of the pictures people are posting on this thread! So many stories behind them, well never know.

Last edited:

Darren van Ek

New in Town
I have to say after spening nearly 3 hours looking through this thread that its probably the best thread on here, god I wish I had spent more time talking to my grandmother, I have all the pictures, just time got away, and no she is gone, god I feel guilty for not taking the time.

I hope this thread inspires people to take the time and talk and listen as the people from this era won't be here forever :(

tammylynn70

New in Town
Here are a series of my grandparents and other family and friends:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tammy_lynn1970/5215355750/] [/URL]
my grandfather John, post-war probably
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tammy_lynn1970/5214773441/] [/URL]
my grandmother Virginia, on the right, and my great-aunt Odetta
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tammy_lynn1970/5215387680/] [/URL]
grandadddy's cousin Christine
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tammy_lynn1970/5215361002/] [/URL]
grandaddy and a couple of local ladies
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tammy_lynn1970/5214802647/] [/URL]
grandaddy in France, he was in the glider infantry attached to the 82nd airborne and saw action on D-Day and Market Garden

TheLibrarian

New in Town
I love these type of shots of people with vehicles. People were smaller and generally thinner so the machines looked massive. Look at that bike! Impressive. This was exaggerated in car advertisements where the people were made to look even smaller inside an enormous automobile.

Actually, it wasn't just that the people were smaller. The machines really were massive!

I can't drive my modern SUV while wearing a hat - there's no room. But I can drive even the smallest Packard with room to spare for the biggest hat I own. (And really, if you're going to wear a fabulous hat, there's nothing like having the car to go with it :) )

BoPeep

Practically Family
A friend of mine skates in the roller derby and recently posted these on facebook. I don't think any of them are celebrities. My mother often comments on how skating was a favorite past time of hers and nearly all the kids on the block!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
This is from a collection of photographs by amateur photographer Susan Harrison. Her photography focused on her life, and reads like a straightforward photo record of an average girl's life in the 1940s and 1950s. I love the observation she makes about her friend's 'reinforced' bathingsuit top:

385215324_8f3fe4fd13.jpg

"Here we ladies prance toward the water, Gladys in a white suit, me behind, and Dotty in a black two-piece. Dotty was petite and fine-boned but large-bosomed. Note how she added security to the center of her suit top with extra straps."

Kiri

One of the Regulars
nanaplaidpantssmall.png

My Grandma Margaret (Nana as we call her) in March 1960 by the looks of it. She seemed to really like those pants as they're in a lot of her photos. It's kind of making me want a pair. :)

Last edited:

Kiri

One of the Regulars
And here's Mary, my Great Gran, Nana's mom. Also some pictures of my Great Granddad, Joseph, and Nana and her brothers.

greatgrancollage.png

greatgrancollage2.png

I think Great Gran was just gorgeous. I so wish they had saved her clothes, but after she died when I was 3 they were all donated to a theatre. Apparently there were some just beautiful items, I can only imagine. -sigh-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy