Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
1043954_10151571119174164_1095607958_n.jpg

1011930_10151569324144164_1548199242_n.jpg

A classy broad lol

994292_10151537749154164_1396049662_n.jpg

Naughty!

301642_10151398457749164_472622287_n.jpg

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
You're right, Frank. I live in Europe and it's the same here. Women don't look like women anymore. They seem to want to look like men. Because the men wear the same uniform of T-shirt and sweatpants!

I would love love love to find a good looking bloke (preferably dressed vintage) but the sad truth is that there are no men who seem to respect themselves enough to dress up. :(

People stare at me for dressing what they call old fashioned and I've even conceded a bit by wearing jeans with vintage blouses, but I hate it. I want to be me and I am a nostalgic at heart.

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
It just makes me wonder, when did the decline in how women look today and or the absent of "consciousness" about how
they look take place and or the reasons for this happening?

Hello FF,

I see the move to more casual dress and grooming standards as a gradual transition rather than an abrupt crash of some sort. I am also old enough to remember the patent sense of relief that my elders felt at the relaxation of what had been a fairly rigid dress code. When I was a kid in the late sixties and the seventies, absolutely no one missed girdles or ironing. By coincidence I was looking through online archive photos from my alma mater today, and in one photo where the girls were wearing skirts and saddle shoes, the commenters who had been students at the time mentioned how much they hated saddle shoes and sensible shoes, and how much they wanted to wear sneakers which were much more comfortable. I'm pretty sure no one missed hair curlers or hairspray either, and for a long time the makeup of earlier times was seen as "fake."

I'm sure that the people who were delighted to be rid of oppressive dress codes or laborious hairstyles had no idea that their grandchildren would be going about in public in flip-flops and pajamas.

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
You're right, Frank. I live in Europe and it's the same here. Women don't look like women anymore. They seem to want to look like men. Because the men wear the same uniform of T-shirt and sweatpants!

I would love love love to find a good looking bloke (preferably dressed vintage) but the sad truth is that there are no men who seem to respect themselves enough to dress up. :(

People stare at me for dressing what they call old fashioned and I've even conceded a bit by wearing jeans with vintage blouses, but I hate it. I want to be me and I am a nostalgic at heart.

Dear Miss Retro Chick and Alice Blue ,thank you for responding to my post .

I have been away on vacation and have just returned home yesterday so sorry for the slow response .

I guess that I would have to agree with the "slow slide downward " theory ,and I think the 1960's also had a lot to do with it.

I do still have to say though that I still can't "wrap my brain" around the notion that full grown women "ladies" would knowingly go out of the house looking like that ?
I was also surprised that more of you ladies did not weight in here as I assume that most of you are aware of how you look and also being on a website like this that you would be inclined to dress nicely as well ?

Well perhaps more of you will toss an opinion this way and enlighten me further.

All the Best, Fashion Frank

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I guy posting in this section ( hope you gals don't mind ), I just wanted to point out to you gals that what I like best
about the days gone by is ,that women back then just somehow looked more 'ladylike' than they do today especially when it comes to hairstyles.
For the most part, most of the women I see everyday the "uniform" of the day is hair up in a ponytail with a scrunchie and sweatpants and or jeans.
I myself never leave the house without coat, hat and tie and always try to look presentable.
Frank,
First off all: we don't mind you being here.. gents are invited. :D
Next: your observation is global. Since I live quite far from where you are, and yet women are exactly the same. As I prefer saying it "The women have let themselves go". And they can not expect to be called "ladies" when they do not treat themselves in that way. The clothes they wear, the style (should I say: the lack of it!) of their hairs, and their overall appearance are under no circumstances what I'd call "pretty" or "feminine". There is nothing Ladylike in a girl wearing sneaks and sweatshirt (I'd know, I wear them - when I exercise!). No matter how much financial benefits do the Companies that manufacture sportswear get - they can never turn "gym-wear" into "Lady-wear"
Just like yourself - I strongly dislike leaving the house "undone".
..Oh, and: a scrunchy is wearable only in the garden, kitchen or the gym. On other occasions - jamais!

I've always felt the difference between a woman and a lady is the same as the difference between a man and a gentleman - some maturity and decorum more than age.
Well said, sir. :thumb:

wahine

Practically Family
It's just the same over here, "style" usually doesn't get any farther than putting on make-up and "sexy" (meaning: showing as much skin as possible) clothing. Classy and elegant women seem to be a dying breed.
Alice Blue, you got a point there - the 68 generation who burnt their bras and girdles had every right to enjoy their newly gained freedom. They couldn't possibly have foreseen how people walk the streets nowadays.
But then, I think many things /developments in this world are kinda cyclical, esp. fashions! So maybe we'll see well tended ladies and gentlemen again before we die. Gosh, I hope we will!

DamianM

Vendor
I just picked up a 1939 Standford yearbook for a buck.
Lots of images of late 20s age men and women.
Ill scan some images of the women for this thread and cross thread it with the men's thread as well.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

This was our "everyday" woman of the golden era, our mother who just passed away at the age of 93. The daughter of Greek and Sicilian immigrants, Mom was a native New Yorker, and very proud of it. As the above and below (with my father) photos show, she dressed with care, an attitude which she instilled in her children. She was a great source of golden era information, and a great representative of what it meant to be a "modern" woman of that time period.

CataWhatas

New in Town
On the flip - a young woman lives across the street. She has multiple piercings, hair the colors of crayons, wears jeans daily with a t shirt, yet I have no problem calling her a lady. She's sweet natured, independent, works 60 hours a week, goes to college, is raising her teenaged siblings and is simply a good person. She may present in casual dress, but she works in a foundry, she doesn't have a need to dress in nicer clothing, and she doesn't have the money to buy nicer items. I've loaned her outfits simply so she would look nice in court to protect her siblings, because she's doing the best she can with very little.

But my neighbor who is of a certain age. I'm firm on this. You don't have to support war or military conflicts, but there's no excuse to disrespect those who serve. Yet, per neighbor, my sons should not be taught to respect those who serve. Neighbor has spat on the ground as the Reservist came home 10 months ago. She goes from there. She might dress in fine attire daily, but she's not a lady in any sense that matters.

Being a lady of virtue and character is more than just looking pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21