Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

Wasn't that George Jones who got drunk and drove his lawnmower?

I'm sorry about the kitty. We have that issue here with coyotes.

Thanks Tink. We have coyotes here too but so far I haven't seen any around the house. I have seen them up near the highway though.
And yes you are correct, George Jones was in rehab and stole the lawnmower and drove it to the liquor store. That particular incident was back in the 80s I believe. My dad was a steel guitar player for a living back in the 50s & 60s, and he told me some stories about George in Nashville back in the late 50s, none of which are very suitable for the FL.

Yes it was.

Wasn't that George Jones who got drunk and drove his lawnmower?

You don't have to justify it. I have two garden tractors and I don't even have a lawn!

:D
So what if my yard isn't really big enough to justify one? I still want one!

lawn-tractor1.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
And during the winter, you don't even have a lawn. :D

There are apparently SEVERAL lawnmower incidents, it must have been George's second form of transportation.
Below is one of many accounts...

The first and most well-documented lawnmower incident was the late 60′s. George Jones was living 8 miles outside of Beaumont, TX with his then wife Shirley Ann Corley. Jones, who was born in Saratoga, TX just west and north of Beaumont, had already experienced a few #1 country hits by that time with the songs “White Lightning,” “Tender Years,” and “She Thinks I Still Care.” George’s success fueled his wayward ways with alcohol and he was drinking so bad, his wife Shirley resorted to hiding all the keys to the vehicles before she would leave so George wouldn’t drive to the nearest liquor store in Beaumont.

But that didn’t stop him. After tearing the house apart looking for a set of keys, George looked out the window to see a riding lawnmower sitting on the property under the glow of a security light. “There, gleaming in the glow, was that ten-horsepower rotary engine under a seat. A key glistening in the ignition,” George recalled in his autobiography. “I imagine the top speed for that old mower was five miles per hour. It might have taken an hour and a half or more for me to get to the liquor store, but get there I did.”

george-jones-riding-lawnmower-john-deere.jpg

And during the winter, you don't even have a lawn. :D

There are apparently SEVERAL lawnmower incidents, it must have been George's second form of transportation.
Below is one of many accounts...

View attachment 13262

The picture there is from the video for Vince Gill's "Give Me Just One More Last Chance" in which he references the incident with the line "Well, she might've took my car keys, but she forgot about my ol' John Deere..." In the video, Jones and Gill are seen passing and waving to each other, each riding their respective green and gold.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes it was.

You don't have to justify it. I have two garden tractors and I don't even have a lawn!

How many do you own that are painted green?

We have not yet purchased a rider mower, as aside from what mowing we do around our place on our own with a normal gas mower, we have several friends that seem to find our lawn and mow it when ever they notice it may need to be cut!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
You know you wan one---especially after owning one of those backward walk behind mowers. That one pictured is actually the fastest lawnmower in the world. :p

This is what a craftsman REAL lawnmower can do:
http://youtu.be/kNWfqVWC2KI
Nah, looks like a John Deere.
Green with yellow rims...
BTW, I cut the front and back yard with the old Honda once again.
Although the frame is getting weaker.
Still started on the first pull though. :whoo:
I have had a thought...a twin of my mower is actually owned by a coworker.
He lives on the next block, and I've considered...considered purchasing him a cheap mower in exchange for his Honda.
I'm not sure he'd go for it, in case it has sentimental value.
The Honda was left to him by his brother, who has been deceased since 2005.
See James, Craftsman mowers (and the like) are left by the curb, Honda (and John Deere) mowers are willed to relatives. :D

Anyone who loves to use a John Deere or a Honda is always welcome to use it at my house.
Heck, if you like Craftsmans you can come over and use mine. I'll even buy us some beer to drink after you use it

vintageTink

One Too Many
The picture there is from the video for Vince Gill's "Give Me Just One More Last Chance" in which he references the incident with the line "Well, she might've took my car keys, but she forgot about my ol' John Deere..." In the video, Jones and Gill are seen passing and waving to each other, each riding their respective green and gold.

Funny video.

Nah, looks like a John Deere.
Green with yellow rims...
BTW, I cut the front and back yard with the old Honda once again.
Although the frame is getting weaker.
Still started on the first pull though. :whoo:
I have had a thought...a twin of my mower is actually owned by a coworker.
He lives on the next block, and I've considered...considered purchasing him a cheap mower in exchange for his Honda.
I'm not sure he'd go for it, in case it has sentimental value.
The Honda was left to him by his brother, who has been deceased since 2005.
See James, Craftsman mowers (and the like) are left by the curb, Honda (and John Deere) mowers are willed to relatives. :D

You forget that I can get Hondas and John Deere riding mowers here for free at the curb through Craigslist. Craftsman mowers are harder to find free---darn it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany