Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with Blattwerk horsehide (Simmons Bilt)?

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hello,

I've recently received several leather swatches from Simmons Bilt including their new Blattwerk horsehide, Shinki horsehide, etc. To be honest with you the Blattwerk "Mahagonay" looks beautiful and the leather is so soft and supply and has a kind of vintage look. It is not comparable with any other leather jackets I own (Horween FQHH, Aero jerky HH, Shinki from RMC, Lost Worlds HH, Eastman HH, Aero battered tan HH, etc.). According to their website the thickness is ranging from 1.2-1.4mm, however it feels like a mid-weight leather. As I cannot find any threads or experience on Blattwerk HH from SB in the internet, I wonder if any of you own a jacket made of SB Blattwerk HH and how is your experience with it in terms of durability, patina development, etc. I'm really tempted to purchase one but I'm undecisive without knowing how the quality is.

I'm looking forward to your feedback - thanks!!
Kind regards,
Robbie

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
OK, understood, then please close this thread if I made any mistake by opening this thread - but if so, please tell me the mistake I've made. Thanks!

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
OK, understood, then please close this thread if I made any mistake by opening this thread - but if so, please tell me the mistake I've made. Thanks!

Its just not a popular brand here due to how the company was set up - This thread here covers most of it.

You could always ask the same question on the Iron Heart forum as their seem to be a fair few owners on there of AL/SB products.

Reactions: Pio

AllanP

Familiar Face

you didn't make a mistake, you are allowed to make threads on the topic. It's just a lot of threads of Simmons Bilt turn sour and the mods eventually close it.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
OK, I was just asking for an experience by an unbiased person but I guess I cannot find one in this forum.
Please close this thread - thanks, Robbie

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I wish I could find a leather jacket maker offering the same or a similar leather type as the Blattwerk Mahagonay HH as I really like this leather....I would prefer the leather used for a jacket in Himel Canuck style - Himel canuck is still my "holy grail" jacket but too expensive (Aero 1920's workcoat doesn't look as beautiful as the Himel one...unfortunately)... :-(

AllanP

Familiar Face
I wish I could find a leather jacket maker offering the same or a similar leather type as the Blattwerk Mahagonay HH as I really like this leather....I would prefer the leather used for a jacket in Himel Canuck style - Himel canuck is still my "holy grail" jacket but too expensive (Aero 1920's workcoat doesn't look as beautiful as the Himel one...unfortunately)... :-(
if you really like the leather, you should buy it, as far as I know SB is the only company that offers that leather. By the way many people on this forum own/owned SB/AL jackets. There are a lot of threads on their product. Don't be swayed by what an internet forum tells you, it's your money afterall.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I don't think anyone here owns a jacket made from that hide; actually I don't think they have made many of them at all as they charge quite a lot for it and it's an unknown leather. Most of their customers probably rather take the safe route with Horween leather at less cost.

Mark

Practically Family
I had some samples from SB that included the Blattwerk (in black). I thought it a beautiful leather (at least the sample was), nearly went for it but that would of added an extra £100. to the price of the jacket. I would go for it if you like it. They are lovely people to deal with too (that was my experience anyway).

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, that's my main concern as the Blattwerk HH is a rather unknown leather. Perhaps I'll simply wait and save-up more money and purchase the Himel Canuck in following configuration....USD-EUR exchange rate is still quite disadvantageous and import tax and duty have to be added on top which makes it an unaffordable jacket for me as I could have 3 Aero jacket for one Himel.....such a shame http://www.thefedoralounge.com/atta...657807785867_2194976270943714775_o-jpg.48921/

Thuggee

Practically Family
It's your $ spend it where you like don't let anyone tell you otherwise make up your own mind if you like what SB are offering go for it I have a few SB jackets all high quality and the service has been stellar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, that's my main concern as the Blattwerk HH is a rather unknown leather. Perhaps I'll simply wait and save-up more money and purchase the Himel Canuck in following configuration....USD-EUR exchange rate is still quite disadvantageous and import tax and duty have to be added on top which makes it an unaffordable jacket for me as I could have 3 Aero jacket for one Himel.....such a shame http://www.thefedoralounge.com/atta...657807785867_2194976270943714775_o-jpg.48921/

I read somewhere the CETA should come into force this week. From my understanding, this trade removes import duties on Canadian goods.

I had one in this hide and returned it. (Not to SB but a retailer) it's lighter than CXL and very waxy. I didn't care for it TBH. It felt a bit greasy (if that makes sense). I much prefer good 'ol CXL to anything else.
As far as choosing your maker... follow your heart and budget accordingly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner