Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with Freewheelers cow hide - Speed Demon

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone,
As some of you know I ordered 3 Thedi jackets this week and consider another one in goat. As I always wanted to own a FW jacket and what I read here in the forum, they seem to be the No. 1 (of course together with Himel and GW) as far as craftmanship, leather quality, details, etc. is concerned. The only problem was always the price but as I sold many old stuff including leather jackets I have more budget available and am considering NOT to purchase another Thedi (goat) and purchase my first FW jackets instead. I found the FW Speed Demon in blue green cow hide and I really like the style and color (I only have brown, cordovan, black, navy blue leather jackets) and the leather seems to be very thick compared to HH (perhaps >4oz??). Do you have experience with their cowhide? Do you think the quality is as good as they use for their HH jackets (Shinki)? Unfortunately I cannot find anything about FW's cowhide. What would you do? Another Thedi in Goat for about half of the price or to make my dream true a purchase a FW.

I'm really torn now as I only want to spend money for max. one more jacket, then I'm done for the next 1-2 years.
Here is a link to the FW Speed Demon:
https://www.thewildone.jp/item/freewheelers_superiorleathertogs_speeddemon-bluegreen-2018/

I'm looking forward to your comments/opinions. Many thanks!!
Kind regards,
Robbie

As much as I want to like that jacket I just can't. The color is great but the hide looks substantial and also somewhat printed to me... and when partially open the jacket looks like butterfly pork chops
KMLSQCrl.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As much as I love Freewheelers, I am not a fan of that particular Speed Demon. IMHO, if you are going to purchase only one Freewheelers jacket, and it is going to be your apex jacket, you should consider a more timeless model that will retain your admiration long term.

I only want to spend money for max. one more jacket, then I'm done for the next 1-2 years.

source.gif

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hello everyone,
Thank you for your honest feedback. To be honest with you, my clear favorite in the FW's portfolio is the Caboose jacket in dead-leaf brown color (the style is just perfect!!!). However I'm really confused about the color variations when looking at Google pics....I only want to avoid that it is too similar to my Aero Vicenza Russet BrownWayfarer or to my Aero Brown FQHH Highwayman. Any idea about the real color? I would purchase it right away but I'm hesitating regarding the real color. Any idea?
Thanks! Robbie

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hello everyone,
Thank you for your honest feedback. To be honest with you, my clear favorite in the FW's portfolio is the Caboose jacket in dead-leaf brown color (the style is just perfect!!!). However I'm really confused about the color variations when looking at Google pics....I only want to avoid that it is too similar to my Aero Vicenza Russet BrownWayfarer or to my Aero Brown FQHH Highwayman. Any idea about the real color? I would purchase it right away but I'm hesitating regarding the real color. Any idea?
Thanks! Robbie

If it would like similar than this FW Caboose dead leave one, I would buy it right away:
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagra...4956_381725052173582_137493409362345984_n.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
I’d say the Caboose in any shade of brown would be a winner over the first jacket you posted.

There is a user here @dudewhattheheck that just purchased that exact jacket I believe in the colour you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProteinNerd

I’d go this thedi in green over the freewheelers speed demon but then again it’s been calling me for years, I just don’t know if I could pull of the look.

d339df3304e5ece100f84d82864cf842.jpg

Having said that, I think the Caboose jacket in Brown would be a lot more versatile and you would probably get more use out of it.

Superfluous

I’d say the Caboose in any shade of brown would be a winner over the first jacket you posted.
I think the Caboose jacket in Brown would be a lot more versatile and you would probably get more use out of it.

^^^ This. The Caboose is my favorite FW leather jacket. If the sizing worked for me, I would already own it.

red devil

I actually tried that jacket on, I don't know why they called it as they did, as it's essentially a variation of their San Mateo. The leather is very good, construction top notch, and the fit better suited to caucasian body types... but the San Mateo in Rude black just looks much sharper (even if I could not zip it up as opposed to the speed demon).

Will post some pics in a couple of days or so

Edit: typo

mygar

A-List Customer
I’d go this thedi in green over the freewheelers speed demon but then again it’s been calling me for years, I just don’t know if I could pull of the look.

d339df3304e5ece100f84d82864cf842.jpg

Having said that, I think the Caboose jacket in Brown would be a lot more versatile and you would probably get more use out of it.

Did anyone notice how too short that jacket is?

Sorry couldnt resist :)

Don't get me wrong I've nothing against being loud but with that jacket the design plus the hide/color breaks the sound barrier.

:D;) Btw. I ordered a FW Caboose brown in Japan in the meantime....update and pics to follow as soon as I received the jacket. Really looking forward to it :)

That's a really nice looking jacket. Excellent choice, one you'll be much happier in the long run.

But, to be perfectly honest with you, I can't recall when was the last time I saw a nastier jacket than that Speed Demon. The printed leather is horrible, the color is off and while this rarely ever bothers me, this particular design just screams poser doofus. It looks like something out of a 1992 Hein Gericke catalog.

mygar

A-List Customer
But, to be perfectly honest with you, I can't recall when was the last time I saw a nastier jacket than that Speed Demon. The printed leather is horrible, the color is off and while this rarely ever bothers me, this particular design just screams poser doofus. It looks like something out of a 1992 Hein Gericke catalog.

Tell us how you really feel... no really haha

But to the OP ... Caboose much better for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner