Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explicit Sax advice needed!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Some guys hit mid-life and buy a red Porsche. That doesn't excite me and I couldn't afford one even if that was my dream. My dream which I'm trying to bring to reality is to learn to play the Alto Saxaphone. Would someone be willing to give this novice advice on what brand of Alto to buy and what to look for/what questions to ask about the sax. I've looked into the price of a new one and $1000 to $2000 is a little too steep right now so I'll be checking out used equipment and I don't want to end with something that dosent fit my needs as a total beginner. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dostacos

Practically Family
Sefton said:
Some guys hit mid-life and buy a red Porsche. That doesn't excite me and I couldn't afford one even if that was my dream. My dream which I'm trying to bring to reality is to learn to play the Alto Saxaphone. Would someone be willing to give this novice advice on what brand of Alto to buy and what to look for/what questions to ask about the sax. I've looked into the price of a new one and $1000 to $2000 is a little too steep right now so I'll be checking out used equipment and I don't want to end with something that dosent fit my needs as a total beginner. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
a used student sax is one suggestion. the school band stores take back lots of instruments at the end of the school year for kids that don't want to play anymore.

you can also find used saxophones at pawn shops, that is where I got my naked lady tenor sax. you will probably have to have the sax re-padded {the pads are leather and need to be replaced from time to time} I am not any good on the thing but I try.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Cool way to go through the crisis. I was once a music major on sax and clarinet. While I haven't shopped for saxes or helped students find some for quite some time, I thought the Yamaha student line was impressive, at least some years ago. I was pretty dedicated to my Selmer tenors--I have a Mark VI and had an Omega which was stolen after a gig--but I thought the student line Yamahas were far better than the Bundys (the student-line Selmers).

Moving up in price, there are the mid-line Selmers and Yamahas, as well as Yanagisawas and Keilwerths, which are all very nice horns. In fact, those four brands would be my main shopping choices at the pro-level, too.

Other than that, old Kings have a pretty devout following and aren't as absurdly priced in the used market as Selmers. You may want to check the local paper and some local shops for one of those.

Also, if you have a college in your area with a good music program, you may want to call up to the school. It'd be a good way to find a teacher and music students are often trading up and selling their old horns. Also, if there's a sizeable music school in your area, there's also a good chance that there's a music store around to serve them.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Sefton~ I think that is sooo great! I have my beloved French Horn & Trumpet collecting dust until I can take up lessons again. I would assume you would want to invest in a used one for now? Good luck, and most important, HAVE FUN!!!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I've been looking at the Yamaha yas-23s that are on the 'bay right now. About $300-400 seems a typical selling price. Some have "buy it now" about that. I found one for $100-Cheap! All scratched up,but I don't care so much about 'pretty',I just need functional. I'll keep looking. I'll certainly try and have some fun. Probably won't be fun for my family and neighbors though.:eek:

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
That's a pretty good price, especially if the Yamahas have maintained their quality. When you find one, whatever the make, you may want to have a repair person check it out. Basically, you'll want to make sure all the pads seat properly and don't leak air, all the springs and posts are tight and in place and make sure everything's set up properly. If there's an issue on a well-made horn, it can usually be fixed without too much problem (the cheap ones made with breakable pot-metal and no replacement parts are the disposable instruments). You'll also want to just press the keys down quickly and firmy, and the pads should give a solid, fairly resonant "thump." You'll know it when you hear it. The part that takes tends to take the most damage is the cork around the neck, where the mouthpiece goes, but that can be replaced without much problem.

You'll also probably want to give the mouthpiece a good cleaning/inspection, or even just buy a new one of those.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and definitely have fun. Nothing gives you quite the swagger than a good sax session.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
yeah i actually use to play one of the old yamaha sax's in high school. funny enough at the same time i was driving a red porsche :eusa_doh: lol

i've been thinking about picking up another sax and start playing again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24